back to article Google, Adobe barricade Flash against hacker hordes – we peek inside

Google's team of computer security gurus have described the anti-hacker defenses they've helped Adobe add to Flash Player. It's hoped that these mechanisms will thwart or frustrate miscreants' attempts to exploit programming bugs in the software, and thus hopefully prevent attackers from hijacking victims' PCs and Macs. The …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Have we just proven that Flash is a pile of crap yet again?

JavaScript arrays don't have this problem, why should ActionScript vectors? It's a scripting language, you shouldn't be able to furtle with internal variable details or overwrite other objects in the array or any of that stuff.

So the fix of thinking of a secret special number and storing it in the vector is less of a fix and more of a cludge.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Have we just proven that Flash is a pile of crap yet again?

"It's a scripting language, you shouldn't be able to furtle with internal variable details"

You're thinking too high level. JS and AS can both be vulnerable to memory corruption leading to exploitation. You have to exploit a bug to furtle with the vector length value - such as a buffer overflow or use-after-free().

eg, in ActionScript, let's say your plugin's memory looks like this: B = buffer byte, V = vector byte, L is the vector length, and . = empty space. You've got two objects, a buffer and a vector allocated near each other:

BBBB....LVVVV

There's a missing bounds check on the buffer, so you overflow it by writing too much data to it (from your malicious Flash file) and run over the nearby vector. * = the smashed length:

BBBBBBBB*BBVV

So moving the buffer objects well away from the vector objects prevents you from easily overwriting the length value.

Now, you can do this in JavaScript. There are plenty of exploits in the past where a use-after-free() has been exploited to modify memory allocated on the heap.

C.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Thumb Up

This.

And you could accuse prehistoric BASIC interpreters of many failings, but AFAIK they didn't have bugs at such a basic level (heap management).

(Now somebody's going to drag out a list of bugs.)

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Have we just proven that Flash is a pile of crap yet again?

"expose such internal structures to do it's job?"

They don't. But they all use memory: they use memory to store variables. Variables store information for the running Flash script file. When you're using variables, you're using memory. If you abuse variables by exploiting one of the hidden design flaws in Flash you can change parts of memory that don't contain script variables but do contain information crucial to the operation of Flash. This allows you to change the way Flash works, which eventually leads to the plugin running malicious code.

Flash doesn't expose its non-variable data to the ActionScript programmer. But it has hidden design flaws that people can find and exploit to access non-variable data, and change the way Flash works.

C.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

But why are we talking about a scripting language having problems allocating and deallocating space for values as if it were something normal? Designing a scripting language is a solved problem and any bugs should have been fixed in one which is 10 years old.

The fix is not a proper fix either, which is another sign that the memory handling in Flash is beyond repair.

2. JP19

"There's a missing bounds check on the buffer," = "Pile of crap yet again".

2. Warm Braw

>It's a scripting language

I think the problem is less with the scripting language implementation than with the idea of a plug-in used almost exclusively for displaying video having a complex runtime environment at all. The best mitigation would be for Adobe to produce a version of the plug-in that only renders video - that would be a vast security improvement for most actual use cases. Of course, it would be the death of Adobe's cross-platform interactive media ambitions, but they've pretty much managed to nail themselves into their own coffin already (though unfortunately it's so full of holes, they're still able to breathe...).

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Why jest?

That is not far off :)

3. Tony Haines

"Flash can detect this and crash before a vulnerability is exploited."

Did you mean halt - or is the only way to stop a flash script to run it into the buffers?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Halt or crash

"Did you mean halt"

I honestly haven't had a chance to check. I expect the plugin to hit exit() as soon as it detects an inconsistency in its memory. It cannot remain running – another thread could be running shellcode.

C.

4. John Sanders
    Holmes

Adobe had a chance to fix flash and take over the world.

That chance was open-sourcing the interpreter, or at the very least publishing the spec.

If you want something to become universal on the Internet, it has to be based on an open standard.

Had it been the case Flash would have been fixed a billion years ago, or at the very least it would have been made fast.

1. Tony Haines

Re: Adobe had a chance to fix flash and take over the world.

You mean like this spec here?

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/actionscript/articles/avm2overview.pdf

(note - you'll need to merge the lines to get a functioning URL)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The code was probably written by Microsucks

They have maximum experience with writing insecure code.

6. Duncan Macdonald

Too complex

The biggest problem with Flash is its complexity - which makes bugs inevitable. A cut down version of Flash Player that could only play videos with no scripting ability would meet over 90% of user requirements and be far less likely to contain as many bugs.

1. Tannin

Re: Too complex

"A cut down version ... that could only play videos with no scripting ability would meet over 90% of user requirements."

Well yes, but I reckon you could safely say somewhere around 98-99%.

If you set aside Flash video playing and consider only the scripted stuff, on my (wild!) guess, it would account for some pitifully tiny share of the market and be dwarfed by even dead things like Silverlight.

Disclaimer: I am deliberately excluding areas of zero possible interest to the intelligent person, such as on-line games. They can have some other thing, with some suitably trendy name such as MutantSonOfFlash, based on the same lousy code as the existing Flash, and installed only by those who want it - i.e., practically no-one we care much about. Meanwhile, Flash can just play videos. Surely they could get that right. Couldn't they? Er ...

7. s. pam Silver badge
    Childcatcher

You cannot make a Turd, White....and Adobe needs to delete the App!!

To: Adobe Execs

Subject: Flash needs to be eradicated

Dear Execs,

All of us in the InfoSec circles, our 80++ year old parents know it, why don't you?

Adobe Flash is one giant, sucking black hole of back doors and must die.

Signed,

The users of machines expecting a modicum of security.

8. Bob Dole (tm)
    Holmes

Adobe can't...

>> the fact that Adobe can't find every bug in its source code

Helpful Bug Finder Subroutine for Programmers working at Adobe:

1. Open your favorite programming code editing tool

2. Start at Line 1.

3. It is a bug. Delete said line.

4. If there are lines of code remaining, go to Step 2.

Once you have completed this subroutine you will have purged your application of all bug's and the world will be forever grateful.

9. illiad

flash is used by VERY BIG companies...

Most of UK websites use it - BBC, most UK newspapers... even some US news websites... Cnet does not need flash on some, but Firefox seems to need it... ??

1. asdf

Re: flash is used by VERY BIG companies...

You would be surprised how functional the internet is without flash (actually more so), especially now that youtube doesn't require it. You should try it.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Try for example using an iPad, which doesn't support flash. Very few sites these days fail due to lack of Flash support.

1. illiad

OK, so how do you do that on a PC??

2. Vic

You would be surprised how functional the internet is without flash

I find large chunks of pages fail to render, telling me that I need Flash installed.

Said chunks are invariably towards the edges of the page, and their absence doesn't seem to detract from the content I've gone there to find. I can't imagine what's in them...

Vic.

1. illiad

"I find large chunks of pages fail to render"

yes, flash is used to make pages look 'fancy' and also to do things like join pages together..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should have done this a decade ago

Back when flash was still a thing. But with first Apple, then Android, now Firefox all dropping flash, and many of us personally dropping it (or mostly dropping it via Flashblock) it is too little too late by a long shot.

This is like fixing the barn door after the horse bolted and died of old age.

11. asdf

nothing but turd polishing

The fact remains if you have flash on a computer connected to the internet, its automatically insecure just like it always has been and always will be. Classic case of "nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." Otherwise your just polishing turds.

12. Tubz Silver badge

To fix Flash, click uninstall !

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And now the miscreants are exploiting Flash's reputation for bugs...

I just had my browser pop up a an alert that Flash is out of date and needs to be updated, and resignedly clicked on the button to start the download. Then two things occurred to me: 1) I thought I had already updated it in the past couple of days, and 2) that wasn't actually the same text that I recalled from previous alerts. I checked the Downloads directory, and sure enough, the file had a different name from Adobe's usual habits, and the URL associated with the file wasn't Adobe. Haha, no.

If I hadn't already had to update the goddamned thing twice this week, I probably wouldn't have fallen for the driveby download attempt...

(I'm sure this isn't new, of course, but it's the first time I've seen it; and it's certainly well-timed.)

1. illiad

Re: And now the miscreants are exploiting Flash's reputation for bugs...

no problem, they ARE updating it almost every day!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like