back to article Microsoft sprints to finish, emits possible Windows 10 RC build

Microsoft has released yet another preview build of Windows 10, this time to both the Fast and Slow rings of the Windows Insider program, and it looks suspiciously like it could be a release candidate. "Over the past few days we've been preparing our release pipelines and processes, and this build is one step closer to what …

1. Mark 85

So on the 30th...

After the release, while the rest of us are running about like chickens with no heads and answering (or trying to) and fixing (or trying to) problems, will MS start it's layoffs? Or will all the coders be taking a much deserved vacation?

I hope the later and I hope the damned thing works. If Vista was every IT support person's version of a nightmare, this will be worse if doesn't work right due to the sheer numbers of people getting it.

Scary times indeed to be doing IT support for home users (think of Uncle Bob calling you) and companies that won't hold back the upgrade and I can think of at least 2 companies in my area going forward with this, untested, untried......

1. TheVogon

Re: So on the 30th...

Microsoft already said they will be focusing on finishing Windows Mobile 10..

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Trollface

Windows Mobile 10. So that the code name for Windows 10 SP1?

1. TheVogon

"Windows Mobile 10. So that the code name for Windows 10 SP1?"

To a degree, yes. What will be released as Windows Mobile 10 will effectively be an updated release of Windows 10.

The majority of work still needed (speaking as someone currently testing Windows Mobile build 10166) is on the mobile specific stuff and core apps, but I'm sure the core OS will updated too as the RTM is allegedly somewhat later in Q4...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

What does/did "RICHTO" mean/stand-for?

1. TheVogon

"What does/did "RICHTO" mean/stand-for?"

Nothing to do with money! Hence why it was changed due to common confusion.

2. Borg.King

After every major release of software at Microsoft, a significant number of the engineering team see it as a time to move onto something else. A new challenge. It's been this way for many years.

Anyone that's really good will move teams easily, they'll be in demand. Anyone that's about to get a bad performance review in September will also be trying to move, to dodge the bullet with their name on.

If you're needing support, you better hope that (a) Microsoft have it documented, (b) the community knows the answer, or (c) you've paid your money for the extra help you'll need.

1. Mikel

Re: So on the 30th... @Borg.King

>If you're needing support, you better hope that (a) Microsoft have it documented, (b) the community knows the answer, or (c) you've paid your money for the extra help you'll need.

Or, ironically, you can Google it like always.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Mark85 - Re: So on the 30th...

I'd rather call uncle Bob in advance to advice him the support for his Windows 10 is over and instead he should call Microsoft for support.

Everybody here enjoys grilling Linux communities for hostile, poor to non-existent support while good old Microsoft is having an easy life. Isn't it time for a change ?

4. Nolveys
      Gimp

I can think of at least 2 companies in my area going forward with this, untested, untried......

Why does this make me think about the hospital scene from "Jacob's Ladder"?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is this the "uncle Bob" we're talking about?

1. Bob Vistakin
        Facepalm

This Uncle Bob will be swerving whatever ms excrete with all his might.

2. asdf

hmm

Well I guess its a good sign they haven't fired the head architect already this time.

1. P. Lee
      Facepalm

Re: hmm

>Well I guess its a good sign they haven't fired the head architect already this time.

I wouldn't want to be the person who set the release date though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: hmm

The release date was set perfectly in the finest tradition of Microsoft: Ten years before it's ready.

3. Kaltern

You'll also note that if you updated to 10240, that it is now a fully activated version of Windows 10 Pro, without any Insider moniker, and appears to be what was being discussed previously, about not having to buy a key. Presumably, if reinstalled, you will then need a key.

1. Hellcat
      Paris Hilton

I think I re-installed sometime in the very early builds. I say think because I've rolled back a couple of times due to issues with some of the games I play and I've forgotten if this is a registered copy!

I guess moving to this build I might find out if I need to go get my Win 7 + upgrade to 8 upgraded to 8.1 key authorised for 10.

4. James 51

Is anyone going to install this on a production machine before Christmas?

1. LucreLout

@James51

Is anyone going to install this on a production machine before Christmas?

Mostly, no, but a little bit yes.

My home PCs are getting the upgrade on day 1. They're my production machines in the sense of being where I do my R&D projects, or remoting when working from home. An actual business based production machine? Nah. We're still on XP (I kid you not) with the Win7 roll out progressing very slowly.

1. James 51

Re: @James51

Good luck. I'll check it out on a spare laptop to see if all the applications I need work before thinking about putting it on my desktop.

1. James 51

Re: @James51

Although I just learned they'll be forcing people to accept all updates unless you're running enterprise edition. Might be holding off on that till MS do another u-turn.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft were betting on Intel reaching 10nm sooner, for 'Phone' use.

Things aren't looking good for the converged universal platform based around Windows 10, but more specifically mobile Intel based devices (<10" screens) running Windows 10. MS bet Intel, its looking like Arm 'is' the future.

Microsoft looks to have bought the Intel line that Intel would be ready for (moving forward) a bulkier OS (added to as a service) running on Intel for mobile platforms at 10nm, formerly known as Nokia Lumias, Microsoft Lumia, now 'Phones', (that's right you heard me - its a Phone!) .

Maybe Windows 10 mobile was meant to be another stepping stone OS, like WP7, converging everything around Windows 10, with the common element been the ability to run universal apps - as power and efficiency of Intel chips reached their best at 10nm but also converging towards a bulkier OS, as your first point of call for Windows.

Given the Intel news, Sataya will concentrate on Android and iPhones, to overlay/project the Windows 10 experience, hence the latest line 'Its a Phone!' NOT a Microsoft Lumia reference when demoing Continuum at WPC 2015 on what looked like a Micrososft Lumia Device.

1. The Original Steve

Re: Microsoft were betting on Intel reaching 10nm sooner, for 'Phone' use.

Huh? Windows Phone / Windows 10 Mobile is for ARM only.

Tablets are x86. Based on my use of my Linx 10 the Atom seems adequate in terms of power vs. performance. Get a couple of days which I think is reasonable.

1. TheVogon

Re: Microsoft were betting on Intel reaching 10nm sooner, for 'Phone' use.

"Windows Phone / Windows 10 Mobile is for ARM only."

Nope. Windows Mobile 10 fully supports Intel too, such as the upcoming X3 SoFIA chipset....

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Put 10240 on a laptop yesterday, first securidee update this morning

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Start as you mean to go on...

7. SVV

Ready or not, here it comes

I'm betting "not"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ready or not, Here I come

Well, lets kick it out the barn door and find out, ready or not.

Ready or not, Here I come, You can't hide

Gonna find you, and take it slowly

Ready or not, Here I come, You can't hide

Gonna find you, and make you want me

Do Microsoft have a Plan B if people can't be bothered - decide Windows 7 is good enough?, for 'the drudge' on their home/work PC and carry on using iPads (tablets) and iPhones/Large Slab Android (phones) for everything else.

'Free and they can't even give it away', who'd of thought you could ever apply that phrase to Microsoft Windows in any context.

Of Course! its the most secure code yet!

Given MS wrote it last week, and gave it to you this week.

That's why MS need to devote all of its MSE Security essential resources team to it, and ditch the XP MSE version, right away.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: who'd of thought

I certainly wouldn't of, I of enough to do!

2. Tim Jenkins

Re: Ready or not, Here I come

...Do Microsoft have a Plan B if people can't be bothered - decide Windows 7 is good enough?...

Just got around to putting Win7 Pro on a six-year-old Lenovo S10e netbook (1.6Ghz Atom / 1Gb RAM) in place of the XP it shipped with, and it's certainly good enough for the admin and network troubleshooting tasks it typically gets used for (better, in fact; battery life seems longer, and I'm getting usable wifi in previous blackspots). It's not going to become a Windows 10 slablette any time soon.

2. Mikel

Re: Ready or not, here it comes

Many of the touted features will come later. Or never.

8. Alan Sharkey

Where did you get build 240 from? My insider links keepo saying it's not available

1. Innocent-Bystander*

Where did you get build 240 from? My insider links keepo saying it's not available

There is no ISO build You have to have one of the previous Windows 10TP's installed (presumably 10130) and check for a windows update. It comes down as TH1 build 10240. It's the only way to get this build at the moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Check out Winaero.

9. Frumious Bandersnatch

" ... customers will start to receive on 7/29," Gabe Aul wrote

With Aul, there are more than 12 months in a year?

I don't know why this sort of thing ticks me off so much, but it does. Why can't international companies use unambiguous date formats in their announcements, web postings and such?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: " ... customers will start to receive on 7/29," Gabe Aul wrote

With Aul, there are more than 12 months in a year?

Yes. Microsoft intends to ship the finished version of Windows 10 on the 7th day of the 29th month of 2015. It should be usable by then.

Microsoft has officially named this month 'Latetember'.

2. peter_dtm

Re: " ... customers will start to receive on 7/29," Gabe Aul wrote

and there is a perfectly good ISO way of doing unambiguous dats to :

yyyy-mm-dd - and amazingly it will sort properly too

Then there was the rather clever idea WHO (the Doctors - not THE Doctor)came up with in the 70s -

days - 1 or 2 numbers

months - Roman Numerals

year - 4 numbers

so 9/11 always comes out as 11/IX or IX/11 (or in full IX-11-2001) such a simply concept

(of course in English we'd say the eleventh anyway - none of this funny inability to use ordinals and cardinals properly)

10. Brian Souder 1

Download

They must be pushing it out now. It does not show up in the update, and I went to get the ISO image and the PC download button is not selectable at the moment.

11. Brian Souder 1
    Happy

TH1 Professional 10240 Available

It is loading in Windows Update now.

12. swschrad

it's already here

I have a friend who is no nerd in any way, whose computer came up this morning on Windows 10. "I can't find anything!"

so, if you don't have things off the desktop and findable through standard Windows trickery, either do it or search on "remove gwx.exe" and do the conversion on your own time, after all the shrieks and eeks are over, and the upgrade path is well known. there's a year to update for free.

13. cheshS80
    Thumb Down

RTM / RC - WTF !!

If this (Build 10240) is RTM then "choose deity" help us - Windows feedback still crashes every so often, start thingy still has of tiles with blank icons, still has tiles listed under "0-9" that do nothing , still can't remove some "Modern Apps" , others take ages to load and or crash.

The EULA/Setup screens almost hide the "don't use default Apps for Music , Photo , Video" during setup. It also suggests that you need to be logged on with your registered account to obtain updates and to check the store regularly for them.

So it's still a mess , M$ have not listened to feedback, except the bits they wanted to hear, looking through the feedback a majority of the complaints remain unaddressed or half kludged.

As a flagship product, the only way they could get this on to PC's running OS's < 8.1 is by using the free upgrade tactic.

It is Windows 8.2 at best and will be a nightmare to support

14. Ken Hagan Gold badge

So I grabbed myself a copy and I was immediately strong-armed into giving up my domain account and password in favour of a Microsoft account and (somewhat weaker) password. Fine, that was expected. But part-way through the process I was invited to create a PIN that would replace even that. There was a little link saying "How the fsck can a diddly PIN be more secure?", so I clicked on it and I was told that a PIN would be safer than my existing password because I'd be choosing a PIN just for this device.

Words failed me. Apparently Microsoft have decided that the last ten years have seen a gradual step up in Windows security and a gradual step down in market share, so clearly the way to make Win10 a success is to persuade everyone to protect their devices with the same low-entropy PIN that they use on their bank cards.

15. aregross

Dang, I wuz hoping "RC" meant Radio Controlled

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Winaero

So here I am in Build 10240, just clean-installed from the iso supplied by Winaero. And I've activated it using the instructions (from elevated command prompt) there.

Desktop scaling still doesn't work right. As with 10166 - the previous build I tried - set at 125%, my custom wallpapers 1920x1080 (like the monitor res) display, as it were, with a big border (like the image was considerably smaller); also text is as very low res. Release Candidate? Maybe for a tablet.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Winaero

You should try 150% text scaling. There's *lots* of parts of Windows that don't support that. (They show up with the fuzzy magnification that means you haven't set the flags right on the EXE.) This is now, what?, 8 years after Vista defined the rules in this regard and still there are parts of the core UI that haven't had the five minutes or so of attention to make them work.

And I notice today that whilst Win8 knows where the bottom-right corner of a Window is, Win10 doesn't. (Mouse the mouse down to the bottom-right corner and explore just where the cursor changes to the NW-SE diagonal arrow. On Win10, it behaves as though there is a thick invisible border and the cursor changes when you hit that border, a few millimetres away from the actual window. On Win8, the cursor doesn't change until you actually hit the visible portion of the window frame.)

Other things left un-polished? If you have an application that uses the MDI model, such as Microsoft's own MMC.EXE, the child frames are styled as Win7 whereas the parent frame is styled as in Win8. Try it -- but bring a barf bag.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like