back to article Dive deep into our liquid cooling chat. Just the thing for sticky summers

I recently had a conversation with Pat McGinn, product manager at Cool IT. Fortunately I recorded our chat, then matched it up with some slides to package it into a webcast. Cool IT webcast mixdown In the video, Pat and I talk about the strengths and weaknesses of four types of liquid cooling. We also talk benefits, including …

1. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Overclocking depends entirely on the specific chip you are overclocking. In the past I have overclocked two supposedly identical CPUs and while one would take nearly 10% increase with good reliability, the second would only take 2%. At no point did the CPU core temps get anywhere near their cutoff temps. Sometimes on some chips I guess there are issues with bus interface speed mismatches or something of that ilk. Just because they came from the same batch is no guarantee that they are identical.

1. Sgt_Oddball

Only...

10% I'd be quite disappointed with. My current system manages 61% (though only once it's started up doesn't like to boot up stably that fast. ) on air no less.

2. ZenCoder

Huh?

That's an easy one. Its completely impossible to operate equipment well outside its design specs while keeping it well within its design specs.

3. sniperpaddy

SHORT ANSWER = YES

Overclocking DOES reduce the lifetime of a processor.

One of the causes of transistor failure in a processor is due to electromigration within the junctions. This is a function of voltage. The design lifetime is modelled for a specific voltage range.

Increasing that voltage, e.g. in overclocking, results in a shorter lifetime. QED.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_modes_of_electronics

I'm not sure about the impact of higher frequencies but I can certainly surmise that there is a non-zero negative effect on capacitor stresses and inductive effects.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like