back to article Ex-MIT prof jailed for 'making experimental film' about bank robbery. In a bank. Without saying it was a film

A former Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) lecturer has been sentenced to a year in prison, after videotaping himself as he robbed a Manhattan bank last year. The Boston Globe reports that Joe Gibbons is an "experimental filmmaker" and that he allegedly planned to use the footage from his heist in an upcoming film. …

1. x 7

he needs a ten year stretch in jail, filming the aftereffects of a bank heist

stupid prat

1. P. Lee
      Coat

On the plus side

He'll pick up royalties every time they show the evidence in court. He, his children, his grandchildren....

2. Doctor_Wibble
    Pint

It was a cunning plan...

A cunning plan 'that might just work' only it didn't but credit for trying because nobody got hurt, I don't see anything about waving guns around or threats though I don't see anything about what the note said that he gave to the cashier. "Please give me all your money. It's for an art project".

But an interesting POC for physical security as well as public reaction, does remind of Trigger Happy TV - his other one of walking into an art gallery, taking a painting and walking out again and nobody stopping him? It's a relative of Hi-Vis Clipboard Man.

Pint utterly dependent on no violence being involved. If there's a video to play back in the linked article(s) I can't see it partly because newspaper websites are all so monumentally crappily done nowadays and I can't be bothered to wait for them to figure themselves out, sorry.

3. frank ly

"He's not led a normal life," ...

He's suffering for his art.

"You never can tell if the character he is playing is actually him or a work of fiction,"

I'm not sure if he's dangerous or amusing (at a safe distance).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "He's not led a normal life," ...

One year in prison "suffering for his art"? Pfft.... lightweight!

Michael Stone got sixteen years for his self-proclaimed "performance art"!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: "He's not led a normal life," ...

Everything can be amusing at a safe distance...or at least impressive.

4. Antonymous Coward
    Pint

Couldn't make it up!

That has to be the best (worst) defence for bank robbery ever!

Presume no firearms/violence involved as only a year inside, so a toast to the demented audacity --->

5. Khaptain Silver badge

No guns does not = no violence

I do not understand why no guns = a lesser sentence. violence can also be psychological.

Example : Give the bank teller a note stating that her daughter/son/spouse will have something extremely nasty done to them should she not immediately hand over all the money.

So the years sentence means that this guy will be out in 8 months or so, if nothing else that gives him 8 months to improve his next robbery film script...

I do not see the relevance of mentioning that he was ex-MIT other than the fact that he obviously wasn't the head of the Intelligence Department.... Intelligent people do not rob banks they become politicians and rob the people legally.

1. Stevie

Re: No guns does not = no violence

You have evidence that this happened in this case, or was that post just your own personal performance art project?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: No guns does not = no violence

Agreed, but that article is quite bare on facts and I was surmising that a budding director would have more to his palette than just some badly worded script.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe thats what my colleagues are doing...

After all these years maybe I'm part of an ellaborate prank?

Theres got to be some hidden camera footage of the goings on round here. Maybe the boss is actually a failed fim director working on his new project.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Maybe thats what my colleagues are doing...

I have the utter conviction that this is true and "psychotronic office: dilbertisms live" is being filmed.

2. Mark 85

Re: Maybe thats what my colleagues are doing...

Doesn't Scott Adams sit about 2 desks away from where you do?

7. John Tserkezis

"You never can tell if the character he is playing is actually him or a work of fiction,"

Sometimes, a nutcase is just a nutcase.

1. Little Mouse

Too true. But with people like Vincent Grenier romanticizing his exploits and indulging his little fantasy, I don't suppose he's going to stop any time soon.

What was it The Wolf said? "Just because you are a character, it doesn't mean you have character."

1. (AMPC) Anonymous and mostly paranoid coward
        IT Angle

Ah yes....

This article reminded me of a story told by a security consultant I once met.

He was called in by an Italian bank many years ago (back in the 90s). They claimed their IT security was state of the art but wanted his company to do an audit.

He started his assessment by walking unannounced into the branch office, opening a side door in the lobby, walking down a hallway and then opening an unlocked door to enter the bank's (unmanned) data center.

He then snapped a few photos, which he later showed during his meeting with the bank's directors.

No jail time, but he did get the contract. Times have certainly changed since then.

Although, I'm not too sure this ex-MIT guy was doing any penetration testing (or was he?).

1. richardcox13

Re: Ah yes....

> but wanted his company to do an audit.

The bosses had asked him to check things: makes a big difference having permissions even if the local branch staff do not know.

1. Stevie

Re: Ah yes....

The bosses had asked him to check things: makes a big difference having permissions even if the local branch staff do not know.

If only a generation of lone military server hackers would learn the same lesson we could save dozens of Aspbergers Defense pleas for the truly needy.

2. Stevie

Nutcase=nutcase

Yes, well he is very now-now I can tell you.

8. N13L5

How tiny the crime of bank robbery is in comparison to the crime of being a bankster, robbing entire countries while sitting at the table with queens and chancellors as "advisers" but in reality, as the real decision makers.

1. Kubla Cant

How tiny the crime of bank robbery is in comparison to the crime of being a bankster, robbing entire countries while sitting at the table with queens and chancellors as "advisers" but in reality, as the real decision makers.

Yawn.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Thanks for that pearl of insight, Che.

1. brotherelf
        Headmaster

You'll find it's Bertold Brecht, actually.

9. heyrick Silver badge
    FAIL

Wait, the guy robbed a bank...

...and only got a grand?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wait, the guy robbed a bank...

I used to take more from the "Monopoly" bank (when my sister wasn't looking)

That was for an art project too: "Untitled" (1978; materials rainy afternoon, sitting-room carpet, game board, rotten little brother)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It was a US bank: All the money is in China.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And ALL of yours is in Greece!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Actually, it is clearly OUT of Greece and in Switzerland.

Greek pension schemes, however, STAY in Greece.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A strange one 4 sure

Just lock him in the vault for a couple months and you'll be doing society a favor. After all he was an MIT professor. That explains a lot.

11. ecofeco Silver badge

My eyes are closed. I'm invisble!

That's some serious stupid right there.

12. cortland

Understatement of the week

"He's not led a normal life"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon