back to article Cell division: The engine of life – and of CANCER. Now some of its secrets are revealed

We each begin our existence as a single cell, which divides into new cells which divide into new cells. Old tissues are replaced, wounds heal, our ears – not especially useful – keep on growing even once they're quite big enough, thank you*. Cell division is pretty much the miracle of life – and yet we still don't understand …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Little Mouse

Re: "We all start out as just one cell"

That's easy for you to say...

2. Professor Clifton Shallot

"Well, to be technically correct, the best kind of correct, we start off as two cells, which is the fun part. These two haploid gametes then combine to form a single-celled diploid zygote."

Is there anything that could be said to be "us" before the zygote is formed?

1. Rich 11

Is there anything that could be said to be "us" before the zygote is formed?

A set of probabilities describing potentials, perhaps? Though that's still mostly the case in the zygote too.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Jan 0 Silver badge
          Boffin

Rich 11 asks: "Is there anything that could be said to be "us" before the zygote is formed?"

I'm sure, that if you were a gamete and you had the power of speech, then you would talk about "us" (gametes).

BTW, given that 'zygotes' looks like a word with a greek root, do pedants rhyme it with 'Headcoatees'?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ clifton shallot

What came first, the peptide or the nucleotide ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What came first, the peptide or the nucleotide ?

Reproduction is not a race to see who can come first.

3. Mutton Jeff

I'd say some people are still just the one

2. Woza
    Thumb Up

Fantastic accuracy warning!

1. Antonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Superb but superfluous?

I fancy old Reg made a rather fine job of the article altogether.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The most important part which is normally overlooked in these articles are the highly complex DNA repair and correction mechanisms which have rates of accuracy that a data storage manufacturer can only dream of. It's fascinating stuff and a marvel of evolution.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And what about those little protein 'bobbins' that wind up all the DNA so it doesn't get tangled during division? Plus the other two levels of packing that occur? Talk about data compression...

4. Brent Longborough
    Alert

At the risk of sounding frivolous ...

Don't let David Cameron (or his opposition equivalents, whoever they may be) know about this.

By analogy to cryptography: "cell division causes cancer, so we ought to prohibit it".

1. NumptyScrub

Re: At the risk of sounding frivolous ...

By analogy to cryptography: "cell division causes cancer, so we ought to prohibit it".

Not quite, I'd assert that the correct analogy is "cancer cells use cell division to propagate, so any cell that uses cell division should be suspected of cancerous activities!"

It would also seem to suggest that the "cure" could be enacted by allowing the proper authorities unfettered surveillance of all cell division activities, so they can act upon any cancerous divisions and keep us all safe :)

5. hatti

Cell division top tip

Make sure there are no flies in the podule when your cells start dividing -

J. Goldblum

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Crisp

"Standard Reg science quality warning"

Still better than the Daily Mail on a good day.

1. Graham Marsden
      Facepalm

Re: "Standard Reg science quality warning"

Or the Daily Express whose headline writers have turned "This research won't lead directly to a cure for cancer" into them having found a cure for cancer...

2. mhenriday
      Boffin

Re: "Standard Reg science quality warning"

That warning - «The chance that we are following this correctly is roughly the same as that of a man with no arms successfully throwing a handful of jelly through a falling doughnut at thirty yards. Without touching the sides.» - should be taken ad notam, not least when Mr Page pronounces upon climate science and global warming....

Henri

9. Aitor 1

Not only flies

Also human celss and yeast are good for this.

My wife is spending her best work years for a low pay at the university.. for the good of humanity. Repayed by "crystal harmony", "jesus loves you, better pray" and mainly "you have less job security than the janitor"

10. Spaceman Spiff

Drosophila Melanogaster - the common fruit fly. It's been one of the most important tools in genetic research since the beginning of time. Glad to see it hasn't lost its usefulness! We used them back in the 1960's when I was studying statistical genetics.

1. elDog

And homo sapiens

Drosophila Melanogaster - the common fruit fly. It's been one of the most important tools in genetic research since the beginning of time. Glad to see it hasn't lost its usefulness! We used them back in the 1960's when I was studying statistical genetics.

Part of the massive computer experiment "Deep Thought" used back in the 10,000's BV.

2. Pookietoo

Re: Drosophila Melanogaster

Sounds like a character from Gormenghast or Discworld.

11. hatti

Cell division top tip

Make sure Jeff Goldblum is in the podule with you as his cells start to divide.

MWAA HA HA HAAAAA!

Bzzzt.

B. Bottle

1. Mutton Jeff
      Happy

Re: Cell division top tip

"What's that you're reading?"

"A fly-paper"

12. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

a kinetochore is

the ability to empty the rubbish, clean house, and take Rover for walkies via telekinesis.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: a kinetochore is

Sounds awesome! Where do I sign up?

(Even if these were the *only* things I could do by telekinesis, it still sounds awesome.)

13. Your alien overlord - fear me

kinetochore

The amount of energy required to move on a lady of the night from one street corner to another.

This is I believe a new standard El Reg measurement (or should be)

14. Robert D Bank

The 'El Reg biology desk'...

shudder...there's a script in there somewhere...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon