back to article Microsoft suspends Windows 10 new-build downloads ahead of launch

Microsoft’s closed the tap on fresh builds of Windows 10 in preparation for final launch. Windows 10 preview builds 10162 and 10166 are no longer being rolled out through the Windows Update service. Also, if you look for anything new the current build you’re on will be shown as “up to date". ISOs for build 10162 are also …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!

1. N2
      Trollface

Re: Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

He's pining, pining for the fjords

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Windows

So...

Ready to start the beta testing phase then.

3. Alan Sharkey

Lets hope they fix the big bug in build 10166 before too long. In my machine, the start menu doesn't work (the menu appears and then disappears again - even trying to power off is a right pain). Which is sort of serious.

I've gone back to 10162 - at least that seems fairly stable.

Alan

1. Test Man

Power off - press the power button.

If you need to change the function of the power off button, simply do this in Power Options.

1. Alan Sharkey

QUOTE" Power off - press the power button.

If you need to change the function of the power off button, simply do this in Power Options"

That only works if you can get to the settings to change it - and the start menu doesn't stay up long enough to do that.

PS - that was just an example !

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a nasty one and it caused me some grief. As far as power off is concerned - I found that the right-click start menu was still available, so I could get out of it.

The continuing presence of this particular problem is one reason why I have doubts about Windows 10 being good enough for release as planned.

4. Christopher Lane

Working hard to get it just right..

Not too hot...not too cold...

Sorry correction...

Not too Windows 7...Not too Windows 8

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't think the release of Windows 10 will go very well.

1. nkuk

It does seem to be the most chaotic Windows release ever. My perception is that everything is being thrown together at the last minute in the hope that it all works and the back end processes like marketing and distribution just aren't ready. I think it has the potential to be MS most catastrophic release with every uninformed PC owner being nagged to install it ASAP. If MS can pull off this release I will be impressed, I'm going to wait until the dust settles before I even think about upgrading.

6. ColonelClaw

In memorium of Flock of Seagulls

The haircut on that Microsoft bloke, bloody hell it's awful

1. Paul Westerman
      Windows

Re: In memorium of Flock of Seagulls

Yep, image search Joe Belfiore for more tonsorial mishappery

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: In memoriam of Flock of Seagulls

For some reason I immediately assumed that you were referring to the lead singer of Everything Everything but apparently he's called Jonathan Higgs.

http://www.promonews.tv/videos/2015/02/18/everything-everything-distant-past-jonathan-higgs

(Warning: Distant Past can be a bit of an earworm, and the haircut's hard to unsee too).

2. Andus McCoatover

Re: In memorium of Flock of Seagulls

Yes, but his mother loves him.

(Didn't someone say that about a drone awhile back?

7. djstardust

Microsoft?

Although I really love windows Microsoft are trying their best to kill it.

Why can't they just have a good, reliable, secure desktop OS for 99% of the users instead of all this touch and mobile crap?

Listening to theor customers is not their strong point and will ultimately end in the demise of the PC market for all but corporate. It's a shame.

1. Pookietoo

Re: Why can't they

Because all the market growth is in mobile, and Microsoft doesn't have a competitive product there. How many people do you know who've bought a desktop PC for their home recently, or even a laptop? And how many businesses are adopting Windows 8?

The number of people recently still on XP is indicative of a long-term slowdown in the Windows upgrade market. MSFT is trying to catch up in mobile by leveraging their traditional presence, but people have got used to Android and iOS. MSFT's traditional partner, Intel, is in a similar position.

It's got to the point that you can hook up a phone to a keyboard and TV to make a "PC" (non-IBM-compatible) that is quite usable for browsing, social networking or working on your cloudy stuff, which are apparently what people are interested in these days.

8. Efros

One wonders as to

how they plan to distribute the server load. Presumably there is somewhere a list of all those W10 registrants and that they've been sorted according to locale and availability of bandwidth. Or perhaps bandwidthmaggedon is awaiting us on the 29th.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: One wonders as to

One word"Akamai"

2. Ged T
      Facepalm

I share the concern about the effect of distribution but less on the source server side; I'm much more concerned about the impact on each country's internet providers and the available bandwidth.

If 'the many' have simply accepted the GWX/Get Windows 10 updates installed over the last few months, then those machines are going consume an awful amount of bandwidth... Caching the updates by content delivery platforms, such as Akamai (many other platforms are available) to help distribute the load on the source servers, does not remove the significant data volume that has to get to those machines on July 29th/30th...

1. Test Man

As Microsoft have said before, they'll distribute the files before July 29th for most people, so spreading the load.

3. Pookietoo

Re: distribute the server load

I'd have thought P2P is an obvious solution for spreading the load.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft's ring has closed to new entrants.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Alternatively

Microsoft has stopped entering other rings, temporarily.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Re: rings?

"Microsoft has stopped entering other rings, temporarily."

Nobody noticed the Shakespearean metaphor.

Kids today ...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

This must be the penguin-pushing peeps best chance to make 2015 the year of Linux on the desktop. That chance is 100,000 to 1, but hey...

1. Efros

Now if it were a million to one...

11. Your alien overlord - fear me

Hmmm, so to stress test their distribution service, they switch off their distribition service.

I deny completely that it was me who broke it. Honest. No really, it was that guy over there.

12. Howard Hanek
    Headmaster

Windows Installations

The electronic equivalent of those giant suction cups glaziers use. Except Microsoft requires a fifteen step process to insure they'll actually hold the window long enough before they let go......unexpectedly.

13. Mark 85
    Devil

The 29th...

So their downloads of Win 10 upon the public will clog the Interwebs? I suspect that Murphy is waiting in the wings mouthing over and over: "The best laid plans of mice and men....". I think I'll go vacation (holiday) that week and the next to someplace with no internet, no cell phone coverage.

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

Re: The 29th...

If I could continue the phrase with the right pronunciation (or even spelling) of "...oft gan' agly..." I'd join you for a dram...or two

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The 29th...

I have already taken the whole of August off.

14. John Crisp

28th July. Booked my holiday for a week. So I don't have to answer the phone to all the muppets who decide to try and upgrade.

'But my computer kept telling me too....'

I know quite a few people round here on a shared low bandwidth long range wifi connection who are going to get a shock.

As well as the ones with ADSL on the wrong end of a long phone line.

The Microdoft job creation software just keeps getting better :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like