back to article Mighty CHASMS, craters FOUND ON MOON of Pluto

The New Horizons mission has turned its attention to Charon, moon of mysterious dwarf ice-world Pluto, and has found it to be a lot more interesting than had been thought. The probe snapped the image at the top of this story (here for readers on mobile devices) on Saturday 11 July and NASA said it was excited because it …

1. Kaltern

Excited

I'm just glad I was born at the right time to witness this.

I also wish I was born about 20 years later to witness the rest of Humanity's rise to the stars.

(or global catastrophe, which might be cool too...)

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Excited

To a first approximation, being born later in history is a good thing (the approximation is even better for some sections of the population.), but you can't put it off indefinitely or you miss out on all the fun. This is a pretty good time for the sort of people who are reading this site.

2. Mark 85
    Thumb Up

And in just a few more days... even better pictures and some more science. Glorious times...

3. Ru'

How many interesting features are needed to be found on distant space objects until we start expecting them? Surely we're there now, such that if one turns out to be a perfect mono-chromatic sphere we can say "It is far less interesting than we expected"...

1. Christoph

If it's a perfect monochromatic sphere, that's really interesting.

(And possibly means "That's no moon!")

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If it's a perfect monochromatic sphere, that's really interesting.

(And possibly means "That's no moon!")

Looks to me like a Death Star that's been at the bottom of a lake for a few millennia.

1. AbelSoul
          Trollface

Looks to me like a Death Star that's been at the bottom of a lake for a few millennia.

That's no lake!

4. Graham Marsden
    Coat

"caused by a collision with something in the last billion years or so"

If your moon has been damaged in an accident in the last billion years, you may be entitled to compensation.

Just call Xylpic, f!Tang and P+@#*$ for a No Win, No Fee quotation...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "caused by a collision with something in the last billion years or so"

Just as long as you didn't turn illegally at the galactic core...

5. Bunbury

Circular, dark

Coins for the ferryman?

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: Circular, dark

No no no. Everyone* knows that you don't pay the ferryman.

*Chris de Burgh

6. Pete4000uk

This is really exciting me. I mean, when will we get another first look at a distant world?*

* probably in a decade when we send probes to some moons around Saturn or Jupiter

7. ravenviz Silver badge
    Happy

nearly featureless ball of ice

Even that was a vast improvement from the first ever pictures! This is so exciting!

8. M. Poolman
    Alien

This rock is anything BUT lifeless

Is somebody _really_ suggesting that Charon has a teeming and vibrant community of little green men/women (other colours and genders may also be available) ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like