back to article Java jockeys join Flash fans in the 0-day exploit club

Trend Micro has issued predictable-but-sensible advice that Java should be switched off, because there's a zero-day being exploited in the wild. Trend malware researchers Brooks Li and Feike Hacquebord said the exploit will hose systems running the latest Java platform. Because there's no patch, they added users should disable …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Woah that illustrative pic must have been made by a real coffee-hater.

I will grab a large mug, thanks. No sugar, no milk. Gotta release my inner Mr Wolf for Monday morning.

2. arctic_haze

Writing from a dull place

On my latest Windows 7 (yes!) laptop, I installed neither Java nor Flash. The Web looks much better without all the Flash ads. Youtube works fine on HTML5. So do most news sources where I sometime watch a video. And I do not need to update both every second week.

Is my life too boring?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Writing from a dull place

Boring - no. Useful - not so sure.

Some of us have to develop in java and attend conference calls via Webex.

Though I have both restrained in their respective straightjackets, err... lxc containers which are used only for their specific purpose.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I have a VM with Java installed just for Webex stuff. While that is an extra resource hog, generally it works fine.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You may need to use some damned software written in Java. Take Dell iDRAC. Its remote console lets you choose between ActiveX and Java. Sure, I use a "third" browser dedicated to them, but still you need Java installed, or get a separated KVM (hoping it won't use Java too), or walk/drive/fly to the local console anytime you need to perfrom something which requires "direct" access to the machine.

vSphere vCenter uses Flash, and you may need it installed as well. Bad choices? Sure - just you have no control upon them.

Your life may not be boring, but if all of yours IT needs is YouTube and news, maybe it's not a true IT life...

1. arctic_haze

I now understand why I had problems installing WebEx. However at the webmeeting site there was a link to a "temporary" WebEx installation that did work. So apparently there is a Java free version.

With Java, if you must install it then at least change the browser plug-in to "Never activate". It is possible, at least with Firefox.

PS. Luckily, I do my coding in C++ with no Java attached.

3. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

What, again?

Trend Micro has issued predictable-but-sensible advice that Java should be switched off, because there's a zero-day being exploited in the wild.

So just turn it off and leave it that way from now on? Works for me, but perhaps not so much for the developers who depend on it.

Re: What, again?

Only for Applets. Keep on server.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: What, again?

Only for Applets

And for some reason we must point this out in the comments of every single god-damned story about Java in the Reg, because it is too much trouble to say this in the article.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grrr...

Annoyingly, even though I don't have to develop in Java, being a tramp, I do have to have it installed on my home PC, because my employers remote connectivity requires it. And not just that its there, but that security is disabled while running their applets. You can only imagine how happy I am about that.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

If your employer requires home connectivity, he should provide the dedicated laptop to have it. There is no reason you should compromise your security just for the convenience of his stupidity.

2. BinkyTheHorse
      Headmaster

Re: Grrr...

Does your employer require the browser plugin, or just the JRE?

If it's the latter, you do realize you're not under any risk of browser exploits, unless you start manually executing random files downloaded off the Internet?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Trend Micro report, el Reg's cut-n-paste of it, and the comments above show considerable ignorance about Java. The vulnerability is in the Java plugin, a shim that allows applets to run in the browser which uses the crappy old NPAPI (Netscape plugin API) that is being culled from the major web browsers. The Java VM itself is not remotely exploitable - all you need to do is disable the plugin itself. I know having ambiguously or plain wrong headlines is a good click bait, but you're doing your less savvy readers a disservice and boosting the egos of the likes of Trend Micros researchers, who seem to mostly spend their time perusing script kiddie forums and posting "after the fact" reports on exploits found by others.

Thumb Down

Nothing to do with the NPAPI. It is a Java sandbox breakout: "Here, JVM, execute this code from the Internet and see whether your security setting will hold... mwhahaha"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...considerable ignorance about Java"

Amen to that.

Here we go again...

El Reg, repeat after me:

"Articles on Java MUST make it clear ALWAYS if they are referring to the JDK/JRE or the Java web browser plug-in. These are NOT the same thing."

And yes, there are (still) applications out there which do not run in a web browser.

Thank you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "...considerable ignorance about Java"

These are NOT the same thing

Oh yes they are, very much so (which is why you have to install the JRE to run applets) but the use cases differ. Server-side JVMs generally do not run "mobile code" from dubious places, even in a "sandbox".

6. PassiveSmoking

If it wasn't for Minecraft and the fact that most popular IDEs depend on a Java runtime I'd just get rid of it.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

At this point, we can only hope that Minecraft stays on Java and doesn't get ported to <cough> Active-X, or even <shudder> Silverlight.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At this point, we can only hope that Minecraft stays on Java .....

I wouldn't worry. Microsoft spent several billion dollars to demonstrate their faith in the game. As a fairly inviolable rule you can guarantee that whenever Microsoft invests billions, the company or product is doomed. So there won't be anything worth porting....

7. Binnacle
    FAIL

further ignorance

1.7 lives, and anyone with any sense runs the older more stable version

http://java.com/en/download/manual_java7.jsp

Recommended Version 7 Update 79

Release date April 14, 2015

1. BinkyTheHorse
      Thumb Down

Re: further ignorance

You mean, the version with a long-past EOL and Oracle knows what unpatched browser plugin exploits within it?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: further ignorance

1.7 lives

Only if you are into necrophilia and banking applications.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Flash?

Tell that to the BBC and Twitch and a million online learning sites...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like