back to article Police investigate strange case of doughnut-licking pop singer Ariana Grande

Police are investigating pop chanteuse Ariana Grande for attempted doughnut/donut-licking in a US store. Grande has since apologised after a video of her was released where the singer tentatively tongues a number of donuts and then jumps up and down laughing. An employee then removes a tray full of the treats, and Grande is …

1. Six_Degrees

So, another "I'm really sorry I got caught" response.

2. Mark 85
    Thumb Down

So, spoiled pop star, sometimes actress, shows her immature bratiness? She hates Americans and America yet is one? And, if I got this right, her legion of fans will adore even more rather than snorting and walking away... or offering to send her to the country of her choice... right?

I realize that America is supposed to be a classless society (it's not, we know that, but bear with me) but having "no class" isn't what that phrase means....

</rant>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>>She hates Americans and America yet is one?

That's a rather trite comment and view of the situation.

Most Americans didn't choose to be Americans. Most of us are Americans by birth and we didn't exactly have a choice in the matter re: which country we were born in.

Becoming a citizen of a different country is often supremely difficult, and renouncing American citizenship has a variety of negative consequences.

"Hate" is a strong word, but it's definitely possible to dislike aspects of the USA but not enough that it's worth upending your life just to be able to say you're not an American.

1. John Robson Silver badge

@AC - renouncing American citizenship has a variety of negative consequences.

Whilst I agree that most USians didn't have a choice about where they were born (not many people do) I'm intruiged why renouncing US citizenship has negative consequences? I mean I'm assuming that you are taking up citizenship of some other country, not just renouncing all citizenship...

Nationalism: The belief that your country is the best because you were born there...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>>Whilst I agree that most USians didn't have a choice about where they were born (not many people do) I'm intruiged why renouncing US citizenship has negative consequences?

I'm not an expert. This information is second-hand. But apparently there is an exit fee that you must pay to renounce your citizenship, plus an exit tax on your assets. Plus it's incredibly difficult to transfer your assets to foreign banks in a cost-effective way. Plus it's difficult to travel back to the US because you need to apply for a visa, which isn't always granted. (Of course you probably still have family in the US that you'd like to visit occasionally, or you might want to still do some business in the US, so this is a tough restriction.)

This is all on top of the hassle of getting citizenship in a foreign country. You can read Neil Strauss's book "Emergency" if you don't already know about that. One of the easiest countries to get citizenship in is Canada. If you start a company, hire some Canadians, run it for at least 1 (?) year, and prove that you sunk 250,000 US$ of your own assets into the company, you can become a Canadian citizen. This simply isn't feasible for a lot of people, in terms of time or money. (Of course, you could also impregnate a Brazilian woman, if you happen to want to live in Brazil.)

2. Jim 59

When a famous person behaves like this, the explanation is sometimes found up their nose.

3. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Doughnut? Or, donut?

Krapfen!

Because it is so much more fun to say.

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Doughnut? Or, donut?

I had to Google that to check and now all I to do is stuff my face full of Pastries :'(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Doughnut? Or, donut?

So that's what's meant by 'Ich bin ein Berliner!'

4. Doctor_Wibble
    Devil

Send her to Gitmo!

She says she hates America, having just contaminated part of the essential law enforcement food supply???

She should be sent to Gitmo or at least have to explain herself to the House Un-American Activities Committee.

This has to be done to stop her before she progresses further down the terrorism path and commits the ultimate sin of burning a US flag...

5. Khaptain Silver badge

Donuts definately donuts

"Denny's Donuts" looks fine and they taste great with some good coffee.... America's obesity problems probably stems from here and I can easilly understand why. (There might also be better "donut" shops but I thought Denny's was pretty good)

"Denny's Doughnuts" is too snobbish... ( England is more about Scones, double cream and raspberry Jam)

Never forget that the Americans are still learning their 3Rs . Reeding, riting and arifmetics. so they are excused for their ortograf...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

doughnut

http://www.krispykreme.com/

1. Eddy Ito
      Coat

Re: !doughnut

Donut!

What, no coffee? I'll be right back.

2. David Beck

Re: doughnut

KrispyKreme originals, food of the Gods.

3. Lamont Cranston

Re: doughnut

Am I the only person who thinks that "Krispy Kreme" sounds really unappestising?

7. Mr Dogshit

Who?

Anyway, why do they call them doughnuts if there aren't any nuts in them?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Who?

A quick Wikipedia later et voila : Quick version, They deepfried "nut shaped" balls of dough ....

The earliest known recorded usage of the term dates to an 1808 short story[13] describing a spread of "fire-cakes and dough-nuts." Washington Irving's reference to "doughnuts" in 1809 in his History of New York is more commonly cited as the first written recording of the term. Irving described "balls of sweetened dough, fried in hog's fat, and called doughnuts, or olykoeks."[14] These "nuts" of fried dough might now be called doughnut holes. Doughnut is the more traditional spelling, and still dominates outside the US.[15][16] At present, doughnut and the shortened form donut are both pervasive in American English.[17]

1. fearnothing

Re: Who?

"called doughnuts, or olykoeks."

Presumably also the root for the Dutch/Flemish 'olieballen'. Food of the gods is right.

8. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Oh well, makes a change from toad licking I guess.

All hail the hypnotoad!!!

9. WibbleMe

Some years ago HMV in Birmingham UK had a chap pretending to close read the text on its CD's but was actually licking them and putting them back.

10. Peter Simpson 1
    Happy

Pop singer behaving badly?

It's a job requirement, isn't it?

// have no idea who she is

1. craigb
      Paris Hilton

Re: Pop singer behaving badly?

A young female star of questionable talent caught on video licking (do)nuts...

Haven't we been here before?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Pop singer behaving badly?

A young female star of questionable talent caught on video licking (do)nuts...

Haven't we been here before?

I'd lick her donuts for free

11. ItsNotMe
    IT Angle

So el Reg is now taking the place of the National Enquirer...

...or The Sun?

12. Ben Boyle

That should be "Donut try to divide us...:", Shirley?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re:

I forget who it was but a comedian answering a heckler who asked why he didn't just leave the U.S. If he disliked so much about it with the simple answer of ''have you seen our foreign policy"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re:

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZFLk5L70MQ

2. Trainee grumpy old ****
      Coat

RE: That should be "Donut try to divide us...:", Shirley?

What about "Donut fore sake me...."?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Doughnut? Or, donut?

Douchenuts!

14. Peter Simpson 1
    FAIL

Saleswoman missed the obvious

She should have taken the whole tray, wrapped them up and handed them to the immature pop star, and asked her to pay for the now unsaleable merchandise. If she refused, call the cops.

// behave like a child if you want, but don't expect grown-ups to tolerate it.

1. Ben Boyle

Re: Saleswoman missed the obvious

Wrap them up individually and sell them to the celebrity crazed, bizarrely cash rich teenage fans on fleabay

15. Rusty 1
    Stop

Doughnut all the way thanks, fresh from the local bakery

The nasty homogenised crap that is sold as donuts is offensive. Try a fresh (and warm) doughnut from your local bakery (they'll be next to the cornerstones of proper sweet bakery, the Chelsea buns and rock cakes). Jam dripping out onto your fingers. Irregular shapes as they are hand made. Tangible texture, taste, and quality. Such a world apart from the vile products that are invading our lives from distant shores.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Doughnut all the way thanks, fresh from the local bakery

I'd upvote you except you reminded me I don't *have* a local bakery.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was about to post "she's still a kid, she doesn't have a fully developed brain yet." But then I searched and saw she's 22. So, uh, never mind. Haters, go on hating.

17. skeptical i
    Coat

I grew up with Dunkins, so anything mass produced are "donuts".

The ones my Mum made from scratch, though, those were doughnuts (fresh out of the fat and rolled in cinnamon sugar, double-plus-yum).

And whatever's in Homer's hand is a D'oh-nut. Hyuk, hyuk.

Meantime, I am patiently waiting for the "no such thing as bad publicity" experiment to conclude. It has grown tiresome.

18. BlartVersenwaldIII
    Facepalm

Only attempted licking? Dough, or donut, there is no try.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon