back to article 'Ugly Reddit commentards made me doubt humanity'

This was the week of Linux desktops, 3D-printed combustive robot bums and massive data leaks. Again. Time for some of our favourite quips, scoffs and gibes of the past week: US Office of Personnel Management (OPM) boss Katherine Archuleta has decided that losing the private info of 25 million people is quite enough for one …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

That's why you never read the comments, Ellen. Take it from us. ®

So am I wasting my time here?

I'm deeply hurt now.

1. Antonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Re: That's why you never read the comments, Ellen. Take it from us. ®

Don't fall for it! It's a just ploy to lull us into a false sense of security. The narcissistic twats spend their whole pathetic lives skulking about down here and the moment they see something honest they hit the big red [EADON] button. Be afraid...

1. GrumpenKraut
        Mushroom

Honestly, that Eadon was PITA of epic proportions. I can imagine how satisfying it must have been to chainsaw his comments out of existence. As in: "Eat this, har, har!".

2. James O'Shea

Has he really been gone for two years? Seems like only yesterday that he was roaming & foaming....

3. Shadow Systems

@Antonymous Coward, re: Eadon.

A serious question for a change. Since it appears as if everything by the aforementioned user has been Deleted By A Moderator, can you give this Newbie some idea of *why* they're so vilified, loathed, & probably winner of the "Most posts DBAM" user?

Evidently I registered too late to get to read about them, and I'm curious as to what they did to deserve such bile.

Thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Antonymous Coward, re: Eadon.

> can you give this Newbie some idea of *why* they're so vilified, loathed,

What?!? You're asking politely and sensibly for information? And asking about something that has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows? Well, you must be an Apple fanboi troll who can't face the fact that Windows wins because it has the word win in it and has done since Windows 3.1 which was the best ever Windows apart from the later ones which were better still. And they're all better than Android which has such a pathetic market share... ad nauseam[1]

[1] 'ad moderatum'?

1. Shadow Systems

@2+2=5, re: Eadon.

Oh wow, if _that's_ the sort of post that person tended to make then it's no wonder they were exsized with a proverbial chainsaw!

Thanks, I'll try not to generate _quite_ that much vitriol around here if I can help it.

*Pure, Sweet, & Innocent Whistling*

1. James O'Shea

Re: @2+2=5, re: Eadon.

He left off Eadon's fav bit: the NONSENSICAL SENTENCE IN ALL CAPS. Gotta have at least one if it's to be an Eadon post.

I still say that it was really someone at Google yanking El Reg's chain. hard. No-one could have been serious when they spewed all that... could they? Please tell me that it was all an epic troll.

1. Shadow Systems

@James O'Shea, re: Eadon.

Maybe it was the beta test for the Google Now AI?

*Grins*

(Edited because the forum AI didn't like the letter E for some odd reason.)

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
            Happy

2+2=5,

An EADON post could NEVER contain praise of Microsoft! That would be totally unacceptable! Microsucks are the worst company that has ever spewed forth upon the face of the earth - and everything they did was wrong.

AND YOU ALSO MISSED THE ALL IMPORTANT ALL-CAPS SUMMARY OF THE POST AT THE END!

2+2=5 FAIL!!!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I'm pleased to say that I just can't get my brain round trying to impersonate Eadon - and so I don't feel too dirty after having tried. However I did manage to get the all-important trademark ending in. So I shall end this post in similar tribute with:

I AIN'T SPARTACUS FAIL!!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I'd completely forgotten about the all-caps. Amazing how transitory the Eadon's of this world are.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

There must be something wrong with me. I actually felt a bit sorry for the poor bugger :(

2. durandal

Ceci n'est pas une comment

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Et vous, vous n'etes pas un commentard..

1. GrumpenKraut
        Go

Und ich bin nicht Brian und meine Frau ist auch nicht Brian! So, das habt ihr jetzt davon!

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Yes, and as we all know Brian is in the kitchen?

1. phil dude
            Joke

monkey?

I thought the monkey was on the chair in the kitchen, nearly the heavily wooded area?

P.

3. Howard Hanek

Ugly..The Ultimate Sin

Running your publication as a continuation of the 1966 Cultural Revolution will generate 'lively' comments.......

1. John Bailey

Re: Ugly..The Ultimate Sin

"Running your publication as a continuation of the 1966 Cultural Revolution will generate 'lively' comments......."

Running an anonymous no holds bared, no consequences faceless message board will generate comments from the scum who would normally not dare open their mouths.

The general humanity of a forum is in inverse proportion to the social investment people put in it.

Here, Slashdot, Reddit.. None.

Some friendly heavily but fairly moderated login only site.. a lot.

Places like Reddit and here are what happens when all that post are essentially trolls.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

@John Bailey

>Places like Reddit and here are what happens when all that post are essentially trolls.

What's interesting though is that it is indicative of contemporary society. The rage of anonymous and ephemeral courage shown by the great unwashed is simply a manifestation of it's state of permanent fear.

Everything has become a dichotomy, if you are not for something then by misguided logic you automatically become against. No longer do we learn to debate, now we learn how to hate..

El Reg has bitten it's own tail long ago, it is after all a business, not a charity, and as such now panders to the unwashed masses, have you seen some of those damned 10 best of lists ( facepalm and tears stuff).

1. Rol

While the articles may have diversified some from before I came to these hallowed pages, I don't really believe the level of humour and corporate pig sticking has quite plummeted to Davy Jones' locker.

For me it is the mix of news, knowledge and savant wit that keeps me coming back.

Basically, if I've learned something of value, I most probably got it from The Reg, and most likely from the comments.

Reddit? Well, I've never been there, although the thought that I could anonymously tell the world to go fuck itself, on my off days, is appealing, but hey where's the fun in telling Reddit readers to do something they are already hard at already.

2. Disko
        Devil

i lost it at bared

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Wot?

Very strange turn of events here.

I rather like ElReg actually. Not so much slashdot, and I've never been anywhere near reddit. Being a graying usenet survivor I don't have a problem with the occasional bit of crap. I just ignore it and move on to something interesting.

5. earl grey
    Trollface

I am not a troll

No, really

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like