back to article Emergency-service comms omnishambles worsens as HP dives for the door

Things have gone from worse to even worse for the Government’s attempts to replace the ageing emergency-services network, as HP has withdrawn its bid. HP has followed Telefonica in deciding that the terms of the deal were too onerous and deciding it didn’t want to be part of Emergency Services Mobile Communications Programme ( …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1bn over 15 years....

Is that aginst a £1.5bn/year bid or is it £1.5bn over the 15 years?

If the former then it really isn't alot, if the latter than it sounds awfully optimistic!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 1bn over 15 years....

£1.5bn over fifteen years.

But even that assumes that anybody believes the mythical civil service "savings".

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Frederic Bloggs

dual-mode TETRA/4G

Is that wishful thinking or is there some actual evidence that the HO (probably secretly) has this as a "fallback" position? It is the only foreseeable solution that makes any sense. But no solution that has working PTT group calling and 4G+-like data in the same device will be available (even in beta) before at least 2018.

1. Will 20

Re: dual-mode TETRA/4G

My *limited* understanding, is that because of the frequencies used, you require less nodes for coverage on TETRA than you do 4G. Assuming the new comms solution is going to be airgapped from public networks, they're going to have to install a hell of a lot more masks to give coverage. Unless you use TETRA for comms, and commercial 4G for data, as and when you need it. (As long as you use appropriate security)

4. Mr Dogshit
    WTF?

What I want to know is

Why the attractive female lady policeman in the picture has her cap badge on upside down.

Do I win a prize for spotting the deliberate mistake?

1. wyatt
      Thumb Up

Re: What I want to know is

Nothing like your mates/colleagues to stitch you up! Use to do it all the time in the army, good to see the plod have a giggle as well.

I discussed ESMCP with some telecom staff in the police, they couldn't see how it would be live in the time frame given. At least we've Airwave to fall back to until 2020 (at great cost..).

Not knowing too much about the current Tetra deployment apart from it works quite well but a bit expensive. Is it possible to up lift it to provide an improved capability be it with low data speeds leaving that to a proper device?

2. Simon Rockman

That pic came from the Met press office, it's funny that no-one there spotted it either.

Simon

1. Mr Dogshit

Oh, can you get me her phone number then?

1. Hollerith 1

Sorry, I was in the queue before you.

2. ScottAS2

"Oh, can you get me her phone number then?"

1. x 7

999?

surely 666?

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Terms too Iffy then?

By that the spec must be pretty tight. No wriggle room for all those Cost-Plus-Plus little extras that inevitably get added to HMG Contracts by the Civil Servants.

Mess of those and you are into commodity supplier territory. Next to no profit in that area of biz methinks.

6. Yugguy

Well at least

My friends at Airwave might have jobs for a little longer. Or for a lot longer if they do carry on with Tetra as that's where the current UK Tetra knowledge is right now.

7. Yugguy

Dammit I forgot the obligatory statement

Whenever there is an attractive policewoman...

"Hello love. Would you like to take down MY particulars!!!"

Thank you, I'm here all week.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Dammit I forgot the obligatory statement

Whenever there is an attractive policewoman...

"Hello love. Would you like to take down MY particulars!!!"

Thank you, I'm here all week.

Warning: get too close to WPC Young and it ain't gonna be your particulars which are face down in the gutter. You'll be taken down, alright, but you won't like it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"HP has followed Telefonica in deciding that the terms of the deal were too onerous and deciding it didn’t want to be part of Emergency Services Mobile Communications Programme (ESMCP)."

Someone at HP is showing alittle sense after their/EDS rush to projects that could only pay through signigicant spec changes (charged for) post contract.

9. Crazy Operations Guy

Porbably better without HP in the running

HP is collapsing, might not even be around for the required amount of time...

10. teebie

Home office thinking

"It is also expected to save the emergency services around £1bn over the next 15 years."

Because if no one can tell you about an emergency then you don't spend any money responding to it.

11. PeterM42
    FAIL

Any government-related technology...

....is likely to be FLAWED.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon