back to article NASA pops open a big can of red planet whup-ass with Mars Trek

Astrocartographers at NASA have made it possible to explore Mars in both 2D and 3D, from your phone or desktop, in much the same way as you might an online map of Earth. From urban orienteering, through to GeoGuessr, and Bellingcat's OSint, the professional, recreational, and activist use of maps has become firmly established …

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Great piece of outreach software

I really like these kinds of releases of data and visualisation to the public. Great job NASA!

2. ravenviz Silver badge

My, what a strange place!

1. Phuq Witt
      Joke

Re: what a strange place!

Yep. It's like another world.

1. AbelSoul
        Trollface

Re: It's like another world.

You just gave me a Flashback.

3. Mike Flugennock
    Pint

Well done!

Just one question, though: do they plan on doing "street view" interactive pans for all the landing sites and rover traverses? That'd make it absolutely perfect.

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Well done!

Oh noes! There's the missus sunbathing topless!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is a whup-ass a Martian camera equipped donkey? Enquiring minds would like to know ;)

5. PleebSmash
  6. asdf

mind blowing

Yes yes wikipedia is garbage but still this paragraph is hard to fathom.

"Because of the size of Olympus Mons and its shallow slopes, an observer standing on the Martian surface would be unable to view the entire profile of the volcano, even from a great distance. The curvature of the planet and the volcano itself would obscure such a synoptic view. Similarly, an observer near the summit would be unaware of standing on a high mountain, as the slope of the volcano would extend beyond the horizon, a mere 3 kilometers away"

1. DocJames
      Meh

Re: mind blowing

Well it's obviously the poor wikipedia style which (seems to me) to be harder to follow than much other published writing, but I don't see how than is a "difficult" paragraph.

2. Champ

Re: mind blowing

Seems pretty obvious to me. The curvature of the planet is such that you can't get a full view of the mountain / volcano

7. Sgt_Oddball

Soooo ermmm

When can we go visit for a long weekend and that sort of thing?

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Mars Trek

Not compatible with Internet Explorer.

Wow. Finally. That really does make it an out-of-this-world experience. Double kudos to NASA !

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Mars Trek

Ubuntu 14.something and Firefox 39.0 and the global map doesn't work for me, just a black area. Both polar view work though. Great idea, needs some TLC, and what I can see of it looks really good.

9. Scott 26
    Coat

What!!? No Mark Whatney jokes?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Coat

He's not there yet, but there will be a documentary about him in October.

10. Champ

Red / Green / Blue Mars trilogy

Being halfway through the (pretty damn good) Kim Stanley Robinson trilogy, I was hoping this would help me get the get the major aerological features. Which it does, a bit. But what really need now is for someone to create an overlay for the major human constructions in the books - Underhill, Zygote, Sheffield, Burroughs, etc

1. P.B. Lecavalier
      Thumb Up

Re: Red / Green / Blue Mars trilogy

Thank you. I was just about to mention the novel Red Mars, as this 'Mars Trek' just gives me a feeling of returning there!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like