back to article Lizard Squad kid bandit who did 50 THOUSAND HACKS dodges cooler stint

A Lizard Squad teenager won't spend any time in the slammer despite admitting to a Finnish court that he compromised 50,700 systems in a long career of computer crime. He also pleaded guilty to other cyber misdeeds. Julius "zeekill" Kivimaki, 17, received a two-year suspended prison sentence, and will have his internet …

1. Jediben
    Mushroom

Clearly the punishment does not fit the crime. Who fancies a lynch mob?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Who fancies a lynch mob?"

You mean he should be extradited to and trialled in the US?

1. Graham Marsden
        Megaphone

Re: "Who fancies a lynch mob?"

Of course! Twenty years in chokey will teach him the error of his ways and be a warning to anyone else that building systems with crap security and then blaming someone else for when it all goes tits-up isn't a crime...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Just Enough

"The Playstation was asking for it, m'lord. It was shamelessly and provocatively hanging around on the public internet without security. So it's not my client's fault that he just couldn't resist. It deserved a good hacking and that's not a crime, surely."

1. Joe Gurman

"It's a fair cop, but society's to blame." "Agreed. We'll be charging them, too."

2. NotBob

Wow. And here I thought we 'merkins were the kings of the slap on the wrist combo.

3. Joe User
    Devil

A fitting punishment

Spending every weekend for the next two years scrubbing public toilets in metro stations and bus depots.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: A fitting punishment

That could only work if you are Caucasian as the you tube sheriff will getcha if you are the wrong colour and spend too long in the wrong places.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I'm normally very liberal, on crime and punishment

But if you fubar my Playstation network, in the run-up to Chrimbo, I expect you to swing!

1. Mark 85

Re: Well I'm normally very liberal, on crime and punishment

Are you Kim Dotcom by perchance?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/26/kim_dotcom_claims_his_bribe_stopped_xbox_and_playstation_christmas_hacking/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well they've ensured he will never be trusted by the hacking "community" again - after all, he must have cooperated with the authorities to get a sentence like that.

6. Crazy Operations Guy

Force him to clean up every system he compromised

Just have everyone mail him their routers and have him re-flash them all on his dime (Or at least grab the money from the seized funds) and not let him do anything else until he has cleaned up every single system, even if it takes him so long that the machines would be thrown out anyway.

1. adaladda

Re: Force him to clean up every system he compromised

It's a DDOS attack. All he did was redirect traffic. There is no "cleaning up" to do. They disappear once they're done.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They gave him the light sentence

deliberately to make it seem like he cooperated with authorities even if he didn't.

1. Mephistro
      Holmes

Re: They gave him the light sentence

Either that or the Fins don't fancy sending teenagers to prison except for the most heinous crimes.

8. hatti

Recruitment

How long before he's recruited by the NSA or GCHQ or both?

1. Ed Jackson

Re: Recruitment

I'm sure they've already got plenty of people capable of uploading fallout_4_beta_not_a_trojan_honest_guv.zip.exe to pirate bay.

9. Joe Gurman

Not even a slap on the wrist

Is the concept of community service known in Finland? Better he spend his time cleaning trash off roadsides, or babysitting, or cutting down trees, than being monitored while his hand get clammy for th keyboard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like