back to article Canuck chump cuffed over helium balloon flying chair stunt

A high-flying Canuck was cuffed over the weekend after overflying the Calgary Stampede in a lawn chair suspended beneath 120 helium-filled balloons. All Clean Natural Balloon Stunt!!! Daniel Boria had planned to skydive into the rodeo extravaganza as a publicity stunt for his company All Clean Natural. With his $20 chair …

1. Anonymous Blowhard

They should throw the book at him

"We couldn't find anyone who could get me to that altitude. No pilots were willing to lose their license to fly me into controlled airspace."

A good clue that what he was wanting to do was illegal.

"We went as far [as] to consider bringing a Mexican into the country as a temporary worker to fly the plane. That's when we turned to helium."

Evidence that, even though he knew it was illegal, he was willing to go ahead with the stunt.

"Sometimes you've got to live life on a limb if you truly believe in your company"

So he's happy to risk his own life; fine. But what about innocent lives? Controlled airspace is there for a reason; the chances of a collision may be small but the consequences would be terrible.

1. MyffyW Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Mischief causing danger to life

AB have an upvote for your consideration of the commonweal.

I do like the idea of mischief, but there seems to be enough previous experience to suggest this guy falls into the "bit of a nob" category rather than "brave pioneer".

2. Florida1920

Re: They should throw the book at him

Controlled airspace is there for a reason; the chances of a collision may be small but the consequences would be terrible.

Last I heard, his contraption was still aloft. Somewhere.

1. GBE

From http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/07/06/man-flies-balloon-powered-lawn-chair-over-calgary.html:

His airborne lawn chair crash-landed in a farmer’s field several miles outside Calgary.

3. Eric Olson

As if to further this point, an F-16 broadsided a Cessna over South Carolina today. While the fighter pilot safely ejected, there is no word on the occupants of the civilian aircraft and it's assumed that all aboard perished.

While further investigation is necessary, one of the two planes was where it shouldn't have been and it resulted in the death of one or more people as well as destruction of two aircraft. Risking your own life and limb is a decision you have to live (or die) with, but when you are making quips about seeing commercial aircraft below you, there is more at stake than your own skin. An example should be made of this man, especially given his callous disregard for the safety of anyone else in the airspace and his disturbing lack of remorse.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Logistics

> We couldn't find anyone who could get me to that altitude. No pilots were willing to lose their license to fly me into controlled airspace.

I'm a little surprised that no pilots told him there is a procedure to ask for authorisation for these sort of things. While strapping oneself to a bunch of party balloons is not very likely to get signed off by any CAA employee not looking for a career change, demo jumps from aeroplanes, helicopters, and even hot air balloons and other aerostats, are not exactly unusual and not difficult or (in my experience) expensive to get authorisation for.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Logistics

I'll speculate that his consultants made some judgments about the man's competency and advised to simply not do it, even if there might be a legal procedure. I also infer that the illegality was part of the appeal for this publicity stunt..

5. launcap Silver badge
      Mushroom

>>"We couldn't find anyone who could get me to that altitude. No pilots were willing to lose their

>> license to fly me into controlled airspace."

>A good clue that what he was wanting to do was illegal

And/or extremely stupid. Did I mention stupid?

So near yet so far from receiving a Darwin Award. The sad thing is that (in the worst case) he would have taken other people with him.

2. Snivelling Wretch

Surely a pin on a stick is all you need for a reasonably controlled descent?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The standard method in these cases is to use a 22 or pellet gun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Walters

2. Vic

Surely a pin on a stick is all you need for a reasonably controlled descent?

Nope. It might start reasonably well, but as you approach the ground, the air pressure increases, leading to the balloons shrinking, with a corresponding[1] loss in buoyancy. This means that the speed of descent increases, meaning that the rate of change in air pressure increases, ...

So a pin on a stick would get you a descent, but the words "reasonably" and "controlled" aren't really appropriate...

Vic.

[1] As the density of air increases, you will obtain more upthrust from a given size of object (Archimedes' principle), but this will not balance the loss of volume; the difference between the internal and external pressures in an elastic balloon increases as the balloon size decreases (Laplace's Law). Thus you would increasingly lose upthrust from each balloon as you descend through the atmosphere.

3. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Joke

Up!

Without the annoying dog.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Up!

Come on, the dog wasn't SQUIRREL!.

4. Arachnoid

FOOL!

Wasnt there was a recent story of a red neck doing this with a shotgun to hand shooting the baloons to aid decent?

Anyhow as to this individual putting the lives of aircrew and passengers at risk for a publicity stunt they should throw the book at him.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

The point about controlled air space is just that: it's controlled. You don't go in it without permission from ATC.

Even though powered planes give way to gliders, and everybody gives way to balloons, I rather suspect that balloons anywhere but Class G except in emergency doesn't make ATC happy. Planning to abandon your aircraft in controlled space? This guy needs the book throwing at him, ideally for ballast.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> So if you were to seek permission to do this legally,

If you are referring to the balloons+chair stunt, it's extremely unlikely that anyone would grant permission for that.

With that said, tethered and untethered weather and research balloons do not carry either, but they are announced through a mechanism called NOTAM (Notices to Airmen, cf. Notices to Mariners) which in theory one is supposed to have read before setting off on a flight.

Weather balloons usually spend relatively little time at commercial air traffic altitudes however, so they're more of a concern for fast jet pilots and returning astronauts/cosmonauts.

3. Vic

So if you were to seek permission to do this legally, would you have to carry a radar transponder and air band radio with you?

Not necessarily.

This sort of flight would not normally be permitted in controlled airspace, so to do it legally, one would need special permission from the nation's aviation authority. Such permission is occasionally granted, but this is based on the facts of the matter; carrying a transponder and radio would most assuredly count in favour of the flight. That said, there are so many reasons not to approve the flight, that I don't expect such considerations would amount to anything.

This was supposed to be a PR stunt for his company. That's unlikely to persuade an authority to interrupt controlled airspace.

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> This was supposed to be a PR stunt for his company. That's unlikely to persuade an authority to interrupt controlled airspace.

I have flown a PR jump like this in controlled airspace and over a built-up area, and helped organise a few others, and it's not difficult to get it approved if you follow the proper procedures. It is a bit of a speciality, mind.

6. Mark 85

I have to sometimes wonder at mankind's innate stupidity. A little research (very little required actually) would have told him that this was bad idea. Parachuting from a lawnchair suspended by balloons... over controlled-airspace. I find the human condition in peril lately.

7. Nolveys
    Meh

Go Calgary!

This is the second time the little town of Calgary, Alberta has made international news this year. The first time was when a creationist found a 60 million year old fish fossil in his backyard (put there by God, 4,500 years ago).

Now we have someone using balloons and a lawn chair to play chicken with passenger airliners in order to sell some surface cleaner. I wonder how well that cleaner works at cleaning dried human bodily fluid off of aluminium.

What's next, people breaking into the Zoo at night so they can climb into the tiger enclosure?

1. Midnight

Re: Go Calgary!

"Little"? With a population of 1.2 million, it's the fourth largest city in Canada.

And if you're looking for embarrassing Calgarians in the international media, both lawn-chair-guy and Mr-creation-science have to take a back seat to the Member of Parliament for Calgary Southwest.

1. Nolveys

"Little"? With a population of 1.2 million, it's the fourth largest city in Canada.

I know, I live just outside of Calgary. :) It seems little in terms of international news; Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver always seem to grab the headlines. Also, the population density doesn't give it much of a big city feeling.

I guess it's big in some ways, it's got 70% of the land area of New York city (and 1/8th the population). It sure has vast and unending suburban sprawl. It also seems big when you're driving through it since none of the roads actually go anywhere.

At least the road names are descriptive: IMG_1809.jpg

1. Darryl

Q: What's the best thing to come out of Calgary?

A: Highway 2 north to Edmonton.

2. Deryk Barker

You beat me to it.

8. x 7

waste of helium

and he's a waste of oxygen

9. GBE

Why did he need "that altitude"?

"We couldn't find anyone who could get me to that altitude."

Why did he need to get up into controlled airspace?

Why was parachuting into the stampede from uncontrolled airspace at 5-10 thousand feet not sufficient?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Got to agree with AB. It would have been really bad if our fearless, flying lawnchair had brought down a plane or helicopter in the middle of the Calgary Stampede.

(Even if it was a black helicopter on the way to my Montana mountain bunker complex!)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately his stunt worked

He got the publicity he seeks, and probably everyone in Calgary knows his business' name - probably better than if he'd been able to get a pilot to fly him in and skydive where he planned.

This will hardly stop future morons from doing the same thing, until one of them dies and it starts to look like less of a good idea.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Darwin award?

How does a Catholic Priest win a Darwin award? Surely he has already removed himself from the gene pool by becoming a Catholic Priest.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: Darwin award?

Technically, Catholic Priests promise to not get Married (the vow of celibacy). Having children without getting married indicates a failure of Chasitity, which would be a sin, which would require penance, same as if you have children without a church wedding.

2. PapaD

Re: Darwin award?

They have the joy of Catholicism.

You can sin as much as you want, break all the rules, just seek forgiveness before you die and everything is golden.

Thus the meme that praying for a bike is less effective than stealing a bike and praying for forgiveness.

13. imanidiot Silver badge

I wouldn't do business with a guy like this

If I was one of his suppliers, only full payment in advance. If I was a client, only payment upon delivery. This idiot is likely to go out of business and/or life.

14. x 7

Come on chaps...."this sort of flight" is never going to get approved by anyone. Jumping from a real balloon might be, jumping from a deck chair hanging from a collection of party balloons isn't quite simply on the grounds of airworthiness

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like