back to article WATCH OUT! Amazon hauled back to court in Special Ops wristjob ding-dong

Appeals judges ruled on Monday that the Sultans of Seattle will have to go court over "the manner in which the website responded to a shopper's search request" for Multi Time Machine's (MTM) Special Ops watches. Revising the LA district court's summary judgment which dismissed MTM's suit, the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since when

Was "Amazon has a lame search function" anything like news?

2. Sgt_Oddball

Tee hee...

"reasonably prudent shopper" that's a hell of an assumption. Especially in land of the free. Has this judge never read the tales of retail woe at notalwaysright? Customers can be idiots and not making it clear that something isn't stocked is grounds I would say for a complaint. Especially if what's been offered is skirting very close to trademark/registered design infringement.

1. Velv

Re: Tee hee...

Not making it clear something isn't stocked - don't see why any shop should be required to list the things it doesn't stock.

A shop passing something off without making it clear it isn't what the customer asked for? - seriously dodgy at best, illegal at worst.

2. Gavman
      Pint

I have to thank you for introducing me to that notalwaysright website - having done my stint in retail I can relate to a lot of those stories!

1. Sgt_Oddball

The strange thing is the job I look at with most fond memories was a retail job... but then It was perfectly fine to drink while serving. Even to the point where we once did half a shift 2 drinks from horizontal (the tills came up perfectly though which is all the more confusing).

I miss my wine merchant days... still at least I can afford to buy the drink now instead of hoping to beg some off a rep.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is a precedent

I believe Google has already been burned here at least once in a lawsuit brought by one of the French fashion labels. So there is a well established precedent.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: There is a precedent

Amazon itself has been burned in the UK and are required to say they don't offer Lush cosmetics. I'm surprised that a UK publication didn't mention this.

See http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/07/amazon-loses-mtm-court-of-appeals/

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unless there is intent...

...to deceive, then there should be no case. It's quite common to show similar products in a web search when the specific product is not available. It would be pretty unrealistic to expect a search engine to NOT provide similar products if they don't offer the exact product. It would seem like the solution is to sell or advertise your product through Amazon or some other search engine.

1. Martin Gregorie

Re: Unless there is intent...

...but Amazon isn't a search engine in the general sense that Bing or Google is: it's just an in-store product finder that I'll consult to see if Amazon or one of their concession-holders stock the thing I'm looking for.

I'm with the judges on this: if I go to a shopping site and ask for a specific branded item I expect to be told whether they have it or not and the price if they have one. If I've asked for a Samsung Note 5 I do not want to be offered an MS Surface 3 or an iPad: I know what I want and all I need to know is 'We sell it, the price is £££££ and we've got 99 in stock' or 'Sorry, we don't sell that'.

Of course the situation is different if I've asked a generic question such as "Do you have 10 inch tablets"? In that case and only in that case I'm expecting to see a list of all the items that match the request.

2. Greg Dalton

Re: Unless there is intent...

My initial reaction was to agree with you but I was curious, so I did some Amazon searches to see.

If you search "MTM Spec Ops Watches" there is no indication it doesn't understand what the "MTM" part means - it even auto-completes. If you search "WTF Spec Ops Watches" or "XXX Spec Ops Watches" then it strips the initial acronym from your search (strike out style font) and shows you results for "Spec Ops Watches" - this suggests that they DO know what you're searching for, and the results page proceeds to behave inconsistently with when it legitimately doesn't know.

I don't know enough to know if this is wrong, but I certainly don't think Amazon should be required to maintain a list of "products sold online that we don't carry" complete with links to other e-retailers selling said products.

5. Tafferel

I cant see the issue here - nonsense!

If I walk into a physical shop and say, for example 'I'm in the market for a Rolex watch', if the jeweller says 'I'm afraid I don't sell Rolex but I do sell these Omega watches and they are very popular'. Can Rolex sue the shop? Of course not, any retailer will try to sell what they have rather than show people the door, be it physical or virtual.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I cant see the issue here - nonsense!

If you look at the shop window and you don't see a Rolex but lots of Omegas, and you only want a Rolex, what is the point of going in in the first place?

1. Tafferel

Careful anon, you sound like a "reasonably prudent shopper"!

2. D@v3

I think the problem here is that Amazon are not saying, 'sorry, we have no Rolex, how about this nice Omega.'

When being asked for said Rolex, they are just bringing out a tray of Omegas, keeping quiet, and hoping the shopper doesn't notice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like