back to article Behold the mighty Swiss SPACE JUNK NOSHER PODULE

The CleanSpace One Project is going to deploy a conical net on its orbital dustpan ship to capture a small SwissCube satellite, which had been purposefully littered into orbit as a demonstration of a interstellar debris collection. A 10cm3 satelliting box has been zipping about Earth's atmosphere for over five years, with …

1. Filippo Silver badge

"It only takes one error in the calculation of the approach for SwissCube to bounce off CleanSpace One and rocket out into space."

Which, if the point is cleanup, would be a success, right? Come to think about it, rather than destroying a large and costly satellite to clean up a single small and cheap one, wouldn't it be easier to just give the space junk a nudge so it ends up in a decaying orbit?

1. Mark 85

If we knock them out "into space", I'm not sure if they'll keep on going or just orbit around at a higher level. If we nudge it downwards, there's still problems since it's getting crowded up there. The problem seems to be applying the nudge and how much to give it. We wouldn't want to push it at the wrong time or wrong speed as it might create more problems than it solves with collisions.

As I recall, various groups/individuals have proposed this type of capture scheme for several decades... Not a bad idea if we could build something (or several somethings) big enough and maneuverable enough to clear the big and the small stuff. There's bolts up there still from Apollo and other early systems that used explosive bolts for separation and other functions. The big stuff (like the bigger satellites can be avoided. It's the little stuff that is becoming a big problem.

1. Grikath
        Holmes

So what you really want is a Dragon equipped for ground-controlled extended maneuvering, with a large catchers' mitt, a trash compactor, bin liners, and an ejection system.

Or borrow an X37.. ;)

2. Little Mouse
        Boffin

Re: If we knock them out "into space"

"I'm not sure if they'll keep on going or just orbit around at a higher level"

My physics classes were a while ago now, but IIRC nudging anything in orbit upwards or downwards merely changes the shape of the resulting orbit from a circle to an elipse.

You need to change the orbiting speed of an object to change its height - faster if you want a higher orbit, slower for a lower one, presumably with a slight nudge here and there to keep the orbit nice and circular.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Not so sure

The long lived space junk is from retired observation/spy sats and retired geostationaries. These are too high to experience significant drag and will remain there for ages. They are big so the net approach does not make sense. Similarly, nudging them is not going to push them out of the way. You need to attach and push it for quite a while to deorbit it.

Everything else we launch is in relatively low orbit and will end up reentering within a few decades anyway.

Also, trying to get anywhere near a retired spy sat (even with the intent to clean them) may earn you a set AEGIS crosshairs locked onto your cleaner satellite.

1. Grikath

Re: Not so sure

"Everything else we launch is in relatively low orbit and will end up reentering within a few decades anyway."

Except, like a teenagers' room or your average bachelor pad the junk stacks up faster than natural degradation can cope with. There's a reason they can move the ISS about, y'know...

3. Clive Galway

If you give the junk a nudge, the spacecraft that nudged it would also be in the same orbit as the junk.

To nudge the junk without following it, you would need some way to "fire" it away, but every action has an equal and opposite reaction, so you would still need to expend the same amount of delta-V to correct the orbit of the cleaner ship.

I always wondered if you could use a long cable of something (carbon nanotube?) and attach that to the space junk, then fire the other end of the cable into the earth's atmo, thus aerobraking the junk into the atmo. Maybe some kind of parachute type structure on the end to increase the friction? If the coil and chute were light, you would then minimize the amount of dV required to fire it into the atmo, and also the amount of dV required to correct the orbit of the cleaner ship. Hell, if you attached a little rocket to the chute end of the cable, and didn't fire it until you released the junk, it would mean that the cleaner ship's orbit was not affected at all.

I suppose though, that anything in a lower orbit could get clothes-lined by the cable ;)

2. ratfox
    Headmaster

"A 10cm3 satelliting box"… "a 10cm by 10cm object"… "SwissCube"

If it's a cube with 10 centimetres-long edges, then it's volume is 1000cm3.

Which is about 1.7362 Bulgarian airbags.

1. bharq

emphasis on Swiss

No, no, no

It's like Swiss cheese - the actual cheese only makes up about one percent, the rest is just... holes. So the calculations work out.

Which is totally unlike Bulgarian airbags, as they are usually a bit more... eh... filled?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

You need...

....mega maid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQAvMUUJr4

1. ratfox
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: You need...

"Video used explicitly for math instruction."

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alien

Didn't Hugo Drax

Have an orbital bitey thing that chomped up space shuttles?

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: Didn't Hugo Drax

That was Blofeld, capturing Soviet and American manned capsules in order to get them to FIGHT!*

You Only Live Twice was my favourite Bond film until Goldeneye.

Drax had his own Shuttles. With frickin' lasers.

1. VinceH

Re: Didn't Hugo Drax

"Drax had his own Shuttles. With frickin' lasers."

But there were no sharks, so it wasn't very realistic.

5. Gobhicks

Space Wombles

message ends

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Space Wombles

Surely the Clangers would be the people(?) to call.

Their music boat with Tiny or Small piloting would be just the ticket.

The Space Chicken might be useful too for the smaller items.

1. Crisp

No! We need to call Mr Spoon!

With 91 successful lunar missions under his belt, he's probably more experienced than Jeremiah Kerbal.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Space Wombles @Crisp

... But that was to Button Moon, in the Blanket Sky!

I suppose that the theme was composed by an ex. Dr Who, and Trillian from HHGTTG TV show (and also the voice of Grandma in 2015 Thunderbirds). Maybe that gives it some authenticity!

2. AbelSoul

The Space Chicken might be useful too for the smaller items.

Alfred Chicken was pretty handy at collecting junk too.

2. AbelSoul
      Trollface

If it's a cube with 10 centimetres-long edges, then it's volume is 1000cm3.

Which is about 1.7362 Bulgarian airbags.

What's that in Great Uncle Bulgarian Airbags?

6. dbayly

It would be rational to preserve the investment made to put all this expensive junk in place, by collecting the non functional bits into a junkyard, inside a big net in the back yard of the ISS. Maybe you'd need separate junkyards for each space power..

7. Vinyl-Junkie
    FAIL

No! No! No!

We want giant rockets with hinged nose cones that can swallow entire spacecraft. Has the world learned nothing from Hugo Drax?

8. Graham Marsden
    Coat

It wasn't Drax, it was Blofeld!

Mine's the one in the secret extinct volcano lair...

1. Vinyl-Junkie

Re: It wasn't Drax, it was Blofeld!

You're right; it's YOLT that has the spacecraft consuming rocket; the shuttle in Moonraker is hijacked off the back of the 747. Many years since I saw either of those films (I much prefer the books), and memory had blurred them into one.

So: Has the world learned nothing from Ernst Stavro Blofeld?

1. VinceH

"Many years since I saw either of those films (I much prefer the books), and memory had blurred them into one."

And if you remember Fleming's book, you'll remember that it was about nuclear missiles, not space shuttles.

2. Sean Timarco Baggaley

"Has the world learned nothing from Ernst Stavro Blofeld?"

Well... YouTube is mostly cats. Does that count?

9. jake Silver badge

So let me get this right ...

They tossed a beer bottle into the stream five years ago, and promise that they are going to collect it "eventually", and then use the technology to collect other beer bottles at some later date? Seems to me that that is littering with excuses.

How about instead actually collecting the existing beer bottles once they have the technology operational? Gawd/ess knows that there is plenty of existing litter in known orbits ...

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: So let me get this right ...

To take it a step further...

They plan to pick up said beer bottle with a JCB, and then use copious amounts of white phosphorous to incinerate JCB and beer bottle in order to deal with the litter.

10. chivo243 Silver badge

The misadventures of an outer space garbage collector and his crew.

Quark before DS9

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077066/

Quark expects to be on a good will mission, but it turns out that he is to pick up garbage as usual. But this isn't a usual mission as Quark and his crew are quickly captured by Zorgon the Malevolent...

11. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

How about calling SHADO

(Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation)

They used to have clean up missions (1.05 - Conflict)

And I think Thunderbird Three was recently seen cleaning up space junk!

12. Mark_S

It's a start

It is not intended to be a final design that solves everything. It is intended to show that you can make a small garbage collector for space junk.

If they can catch the cubesat, it is a win. We can then build more advanced systems based on the knowledge gained.

Swisscube was not launched just to be junk. It had it's own mission.

13. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Huh?

"École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne's Center for Space Engineering and Signal Processing 5 Laboratory (LTS 5)"?

"5"?

What happened to the first four? Did the previous one get sucked back in time? Did they all sink into a swamp? What are the Swiss really up to? Will Penfold ever finish his egg and cress sandwich? Did I leave the gas on? Tune in next week!

14. Jim E
    Facepalm

Is this even remotely practical?

The garbage-collector seems to be several time the size of the thing being collected, and is itself destroyed during the process. I wonder how they plan to scale this?

1. Pookietoo

Re: Is this even remotely practical?

It's about search and capture - having shown that to be viable they can work on multiple captures, and dumping the garbage without destroying the cleanup sat. That would require something capable of multiple significant orbit changes, rather than just deorbiting itself, so rather more expensive and not necessary for this trial.

15. Martin Budden Silver badge

the chameleon method

I'd like to see a clean-up sat with a sticky chameleon tongue. Yes I know this is a very silly idea which really isn't practical at all... even so, I'd like to see it :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like