back to article German gets 4 years in clink for $14 MILLION global ATM fraud

A German man has been sentenced to 50 months in prison and ordered to repay $14m after he hacked into US banks, stealing debit card data and even removed withdrawal limits. Qendrim Dobruna, 29, also known as "closEd" and "cLoz", stole card data and spread it worldwide. The stolen credentials were used to make fraudulent ATM …

1. Arachnoid

‘No such thing as anonymity in the cyber world’ says SS man

Unless your a Chinese hacker or work for the NSA

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ‘No such thing as anonymity in the cyber world’ says SS man

@Arachnoid "Unless your a..."

...you're...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No such thing as freedom from grammar Nazis ..

.. nor should there be.

English is not a complex language, at least not at the level used in general conversation. Choice of idiom and vocabulary is another matter, that is indeed a bit harder if you don't use the language on a daily basis, but maybe this will help.

Anyway, where were we? Oh, yes, nabbing card thieves. It's all jolly well that they have been caught, but what is casually glanced over in this article is that these guys managed to gain control over internal creditor account parameters such as withdrawal limits. WTF? *That* worries me.

1. url

Re: No such thing as freedom from grammar Nazis ..

"these guys managed to gain control over internal creditor account parameters such as withdrawal limits"

I bet he changed his exam grades too!

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: ‘No such thing as anonymity in the cyber world’ says SS man

>>‘No such thing as anonymity in the cyber world’ says SS man

>Unless your a Chinese hacker or work for the NSA

Or you are the one of the co conspirators they actually catch.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Judging from the family name - Kosovan

Probably a front for a real mobster somewhere in the Wild East. One that REMAINED ANONYMOUS.

1. emmanuel goldstein

Re: Judging from the family name - Kosovan

man, that's seriously out of order, equating Kosovans with criminals. it will not do.

1. DropBear

Yes. Yes, it will. Being prejudiced against a specific person for ethnic reasons is one thing. Admitting a certain statistical tendency is quite another. And (as a person who had to put up with similar judgement myself for quite a while) I really don't care who's gonna think what about me for not giving up my right to the latter - things are what they are, denial will not change them.

1. emmanuel goldstein

qij ju

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Being prejudiced against a specific person for ethnic reasons is one thing. Admitting a certain statistical tendency is quite another.

It may be worth mentioning that as a caveat then, like "based on the hacking attempts I get on my site, it appears I'm better off locking out the whole of the Ukraine".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Why didn't the US Attorney state that this was related to the Citibank/Bank of America attack in 2011? Did someone at BofA demand that they not get any additional bad press?

4. JLV

In a US court 4 yrs is a slap on the wrist. 4 yrs for at least $14m? Hardly a deterrent and ironic in a country where shoplifting a pizza can get you life courtesy of 3 strike laws.

All for reduced incarceration for minor crimes, but large scale white collar crime is too lucrative for such leniency. Risk vs reward and all that.

5. glussier

He probably never will repay the 14 million $. His sentence should have been a minimum of 4 years or until he repays refund the noney, whichever is the longer.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

4 for the noney 2 for the show

14 million you'll never pass go

>He probably never will repay the noney.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Warning to cybercriminals"

I think the warning is "don't be German" (or English or any other country that has an extradition treaty with the US) The Russian and Ukrainian hackers that have stolen far more in this way are never brought to justice. Even if they were at risk of doing so, a few kickbacks to the right government officials would keep the extradition in limbo indefinitely.

7. BobRocket

not a cracker, more a fence

He didn't crack anything, much less steal $14meellion.

He aquired some (unspecified) amount of pre-paid debit card numbers and sold one or more of those to an individual in Brooklyn.

4 years for handling stolen goods.

How many more for not paying the fine ?

8. John McCallum

Hacked the American Red Cross

In total, more than 15,000 ATM transactions were conducted in approximately 18 countries around the world using 21 compromised American Red Cross disaster relief prepaid cards, resulting in approximately $14 million in losses to the credit card processor and the American Red Cross.

Bastard should have gotten a much longer sentence like 20 to life.

1. BobRocket

Re: Hacked the American Red Cross

Why has the ARC suffered any substantial loss ?

The thieves broke into a bank and stole some of the banks money.

The ARC would have to send out 21 replacement cards, even with the admin I can't see how it would be anymore than 200 bucks.

Are you suggesting that the card processing company is charging the customers when it is their own security that has been compromised ?

9. emmanuel goldstein

i think it's hard to justify custodial sentences for ANY non-violent crimes.

1. Dan Paul

@emmanuel goldstein

And I think it is untenable to only give 4 years for such a heinous theft. Hopefully he gets extradited to the USA after he serves three years and 9 months in Germany and gets another trial here where he should serve no less than 20 years and no time off for "good behavior".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like