back to article Facebook unveils SECRET logo furtle – in a TWEET

Facebook has revealed its new logo - somewhat bizarrely, in a Tweet. The Social Network™'s product designer Christophe Tauziet popped out this missive eary on July 1st. Say hello to the new Facebook logo pic.twitter.com/ofoFm4JQmK — Christophe Tauziet (@ChrisTauziet) June 30, 2015 Under Consideration reports that the new …

1. Alan Bourke

You have to wonder how much they spent

to arrive at something almost identical to the existing logo.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You have to wonder how much they spent

If I had to guess, I'd say something of the order of £50,000 - that does not include extras, that just gets you the logo and a report full of shit. I'm not joking.

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
        Coat

Yes and every change to the Logo will have some sort of reason behind it and why stupid things like email signatures must have Kerning on (Actually happened ARGH!!!!)

2. NotWorkAdmin

"just gets you the logo and a report full of shit"

Possibly not - I seem to remember this in some terms & agreements:

"Don't forget, anything you upload to FriendFace imediately becomes our property for us to do what we like with it"

3. Annihilator
        Meh

"I'd say something of the order of £50,000"

I genuinely think you've missed a zero off that, if not two.

4. dotdavid

"a report full of shit"

You mean a report packed full of naturally-organic idea fertiliser, infused with a gently-wafting aroma of determination, to fertilise the ideas that can grow your business concepts into the towering fruit trees of success they deserve to be.

5. Mark 85

You forgot the extras like the explanation by the designer on the "way the oo's bring together the richness of the social environment followed by the majestic "k" which ensures that everyone plays nice together".... and somewhere will be the statement about "representing synergies>....<choke>

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

speaking of "full of shit", all I see is faecesbook and farcebook

3. Lamont Cranston

Re: almost identical?

Look at the King! Look at the the King! Look at the King, the King, the King!

The King is in the all together

But all together the all together

He's all together as naked as the day that he was born.

The King is in the all together

But all together the all together

It's all together the very least the King has ever worn.

2. Nash

??

...and why does it appear to be printed on a rolled up towel? - if this was the actual "logo Launch" surely you'd want it to be clean and crisp.....not slap dash on the back of a napkin robbed from the FB Canteen!?

.....Oh and one more thing....

WHY THE F'K is this news!?!?!?!

1. Ole Juul

Re: ??

...and why does it appear to be printed on a rolled up towel?

Because a rolled up newspaper would be threatening to dogs.

2. msknight

It has to be badly photoshopped on to a towel, because Zuck really has to know where his towel is. At least, he's gonna need it once people wake up to the fact that advertisers aren't really making that much return on their Zuck-buck, make like a tree, and leaf.

(I really need more coffee. I'm just not functioning right in the head this morning.)

1. VinceH

"It has to be badly photoshopped on to a towel"

Indeed. The curvature and distortion of the lettering isn't right, and doesn't match the towel (or whatever it is) - but there is curvature and distortion to the lettering in that picture (look at the 'k' - it's most prominent on that one).

This suggests to me that the rolled up towel is part of the logo.

(Yet none of this is mentioned in the article?)

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

A Google image search on "Facebook new logo" comes up with the logo on its own, sans towel (and distortion), so I don't think it's meant to be a part of it.

There's absolutely no point to this. Many people won't notice the difference- if, as was commented elsewhere, they even see it in full (and not just the usual "f").

Really, it looks like someone tried to replicate the existing Facebook logo, but couldn't get their hands on the correct typeface (or didn't notice and/or didn't care) and used a more generic and less interesting one instead.

At least the old typeface had a distinct look and style without being overly in-your-face about it. The new one is just boring.

The conspiracist in me suspects that some of these boring redesigns have more to do with getting attention from the press, but do Facebook really need that?

3. TRT Silver badge

Re: ?? It's not a towel...

It's a faceflannel.

4. Simon Harris

"...and why does it appear to be printed on a rolled up towel?"

Because if you want to survive a corporate identity rebranding meeting, you've got to know where your towel is.

5. Toastan Buttar

Fuck the napkin!

Are these letters in 14-feet font, or 14-point font?

3. Matthew Glubb

No mention of whale song or josticks? Shame on you, El Reg.

4. a well wisher

Pure Douglas Adams ...

Who describes their (Sirius Cybernetics) marketing division as "a bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes",

If the cap fits !

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Pure Douglas Adams ...

Well it *is* a heavily modified face flannel... perhaps they want to be seen as hip, cool and masochistic.

2. Midnight

Re: Pure Douglas Adams ...

Unfortunately the weight of the new Facebook logo was such that shortly after it was erected, the ground beneath the letters caved in and they dropped for nearly half their length through the underground offices of many talented young complaints executives—now deceased. The protruding upper halves of the letters now appear, in the local language, to read “Go stick your head in a pig”, and are no longer illuminated, except at times of special celebration.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Zog_but_not_the_first
  7. /\/\j17

What no Logowatch?

Why's that tagged Media, not Logowatch?

Also, where's the joss smoke?

8. Chairo
    Devil

Looks nice

My first impression was, that they put their logo on a female derrière in blue jeans.

Quick - let's start a shitstorm about facebook's sexism! On facebook, naturally...

9. Graham Marsden
    Meh

Scott Adams...

...had it right.

10. Chris Evans

Odd viewpoint

The viewpoint seems to be in front of the 'a' which makes it look distorted erroneously. If you do put text on a curved surface the viewpoint is normally central.

11. TRT Silver badge

"to reflect its maturity"

By adopting a somewhat less mature approach to typography? Why didn't they go the whole hog and do it in Comic Sans?

12. Instinct46

Rebook

The style looks like the Rebook style.

13. Disko
    Devil

It's just a phase

Buck.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When a Company has run out of Ideas

Change the Logo *and* Issue a new "Mission Statement" !

Can't Wait (Not)

1. Robert Grant

Re: When a Company has run out of Ideas

Good idea!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to check the box of fucks that I give ...

Nope, it's empty.

16. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

No point

I agree, there's no point to this.

First, how many people will even notice this (SLIGHTLY!) different font!

Second, I do notice things like this (I've noticed a few speed limit signs out and about with non-standard fonts compared to the rest, for instance) but... it's so similar I might not have even noticed. And, having noticed, as much as Facebook might want it to signify something deep, to me it doesn't signify a thing.

17. The Vociferous Time Waster
    Gimp

Pepsi

remember when a million bucks bought your this sack of shit?

https://jimedwardsnrx.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/pepsi_gravitational_field.pdf

Bet Facebook paid more. Gimps

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like