back to article Rosetta spots potholes IN SPAAACE: Someone call the galactic council

The Rosetta probe, currently in orbit around Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, has spotted what appear to be massive sinkholes on the comet's surface that are thought to be caused by the cosmic snowball melting in the Sun's rays. Comet sinkhole map The comet's holier than Pope Francis (click to enlarge) The holes, some of …

1. asdf

Right on

The stories and science Rosetta is telling us. When it sadly finally dies it can truly give the Roy Batty monologue.

2. Spaceman Spiff

Dang! Even the aliens can't keep their road maintenance up with weather deterioration!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Calling the galactic council might be easier than calling Ealing council...

Last time I called them they refused to even attempt to put me through to the department I wanted to speak to, when I questioned why they hung up on me.

They seem to have plenty of money to spend on manpower and tarmac to build speed humps which are outside the permitted dimensions (AKA illegal) but not enough blokes with tarmac to fill in the holes in the road that have developed due to their lack of maintenance.

A bit of a personal rant I know, sorry...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: Calling the galactic council might be easier than calling Ealing council...

Adding speedbumps > People drive SLOWER

Fixing potholes > People drive FASTER

Do you want CHILDREN to DIE??

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, mate: I thoroughly understand how this is the right forum for a whinge about potholes.

There is a lump of rock that is so far away from here that it almost doesn't matter where "here" is. Despite that a mob from somewhere called the US (who haven't heard of Ealing - for shame) decided to send a little robotty thing to it. How the fuck it got there in one piece and still works, I'm not sure - good skills. The fact that they have any idea where it is and can get it to do stuff is (almost) beyond belief.

Here in Somerset, the roads are complete shite and you're correct: the council should pull their finger out and sort it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you check, I think you'll find the US had nothing to do with this achievement - it is an all-European venture (some of whom actually have heard of Ealing)

1. ilmari

NASA is contributing with the deep space network, as europe seems incapable of building a decent set of antennas.

4. Antonymous Coward
    Stop

For Christ's sake NOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...................

Shut the hell up! Do NOT notify the galactic council! Next thing we know they'll be putting in a hyperspace bypass and that would NOT be good. Not good at all :o|

1. BongoJoe

Re: For Christ's sake NOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...................

I, for one, will not be happy to be paying my council tax to our Intergalactic council overlords

5. x 7
    Unhappy

these "sinkholes" are the remains of the Clanger's tunnels after the dustbin lids melted away.

Poor Clangers....too late to say goodbye now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Nature abstract mentions an interesting idea:

"The size and spatial distribution of pits imply that large heterogeneities exist in the physical, structural or compositional properties of the first few hundred metres below the current nucleus surface."

So maybe there ARE Clanger tunnels running thru it!

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

Exogorths!

"The cave is collapsing!"

"This is no cave."

― Leia Organa and Han Solo

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Exogorth

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Exogorths!

So all that out-gassing is just exogorth farts?

8. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Did someone do the math?

the surface falls in and creates a sinkhole In that gravity? It is more likely that it is being blown out to space by the escaping gases (just gently, not violently) and possibly resettling somewhere else around the comet.

Boffin

Re: Did someone do the math?

They are very very clever boffins, so I'm fairly sure they did the maths.

9. Little Mouse
    Boffin

Let's cover some of the holes and see if it can blow different notes.

...for Science of course.

I'm No Acoustics Engineer, but I reckon the sound from a giant space Ocarina would carry really well, in the cold, empty, erm, vacuum... Probably.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

free lift to the edge of the comets trajectory anyone?

Interesting but I'm pretty sure we have the capability of sticking a deep space probe into a tube and navigate the tube into one of these holes... send a probe out to the edge of the comets route and launch the probe out with an ion engine....

Or stick a load of solar powered signal repeaters in a tube and as the comet shoots off to the edge of the galaxy deploy them to build up a really big deep space relay network/monitoring points/ cameras etc?

Childcatcher

Re: free lift to the edge of the comets trajectory anyone?

I'm pretty sure we have the capability of sticking a deep space probe into a tube and navigate the tube into one of these holes...

I remember the training simulator for that mission (codenamed "Scramble"). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adynqfYsDus

11. Sgt_Oddball
    Coat

I wonder how many holes ...

Is it more than would fill the Albert Hall?

Mines the blue velvet Sargents coat.

12. Gobhicks

Badgers

Badger setts. Badgers are the answer to everything.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Badgers

What's the cube root of 7855?

13. WalterAlter
    FAIL

Dirty Snowball My Aunt Wannie's Pooter

Comets are meteors. Evidence of "water" is detected as hydroxyls, not H2o. Hydroxyls. Hydroxyls are found in minerals and can be released by heat. Heat can be produced by electric discharge. A comet's tail is a plasma sheath. 99.9% of matter in the Universe is in the plasma state. A match flame is a plasma. What we call galactic or nebular "filaments" are very large scale Birkland currents. Space is not empty. It is alive with electro-magnetism. Contemporary astronomy is alive with error. End of transmission.

14. x 7

"plasma sheath"

that'd be one heck of a condom. no chance of accidental pregnancy there

Flame

(singing)

I've got a burning desire for you baby, I've got a burning desire

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like