back to article Microsoft rushes out latest Windows 10 build. 300 fixes? Pff, whatever

Just one day after releasing Build 10158 of Windows 10 to its Insider "fast ring", Microsoft has replaced it with Build 10159. The new build, says General Manager Gabe Aul, has more than 300 fixes and "one very interesting change," though what this is has not been revealed. Despite talk of 300 fixes, there is little obviously …

1. Kanhef

So, they release build 10158 saying it has "no significant known issues". A day later, they release build 10159 with 300 fixes. They must have known about these issues in order to fix them so quickly, and at least some of them must have been significant enough to justify releasing another build so soon.

This sort of disingenuity is why a lot of us don't trust Microsoft.

1. TheVogon

"A day later, they release build 10159 with 300 fixes."

Presumably none of which were considered sgnificant enough to stop releasing a new alpha build...

"They must have known about these issues in order to fix them so quickly,"

There will likely still be thousands of improvements and fixes in progress at this stage in the build process. This will ramp down as they approach RTM.

"and at least some of them must have been significant enough to justify releasing another build so soon."

No, the justification for releasing a new build is not problems with the previous one, but that the new build is ready for testing with no show stopping issues...Going forwards we may well commonly see daily builds released to Fast Ring testers...

2. Antonymous Coward
      Pirate

How can this be?

I also thought* that yesterdays build was free of "significant_known_issues"... ah! I see.

*OOPS, I lied. of course I didn't. The most recently CONCLUDED version of WindowsTM was STILL SO RIDDLED WITH ENORMOUSLY SIGNIFICANT HOLES (after being continuously patched, in-service, over a WHOLE BLOODY DECADE since being deemed finished/"gold" and unleashed upon the plebs) that it fell to bits THE INSTANT THE PATCH FEED WAS CUT OFF. My belief that yesterday's "no_significant_known_issues" build had "no_significant_known_issues" was precisely zero.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How can this be?

"STILL SO RIDDLED WITH ENORMOUSLY SIGNIFICANT HOLES"

You apparently have the same broken Caps Lock key problem as Eadon...

1. hplasm
          Windows

Re: How can this be?

"You apparently have the same broken Caps Lock key problem as Eadon..."

Probably a Win 10 significant_unknown_error

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
      Flame

"They must have known about these issues"

Maybe the definition of "issue" is "big enough to crash & burn".

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No significant issues

So, they release build 10158 saying it has "no significant known issues". A day later, they release build 10159 with 300 fixes. They must have known about these issues in order to fix them so quickly, and at least some of them must have been significant enough to justify releasing another build so soon.

It simply depends on perspective what "significant issue" means.

From our perspective, anything that can hand over our data to anyone who would like to have it is considered significant, so we would consider security features important.

From Microsoft's perspective, "significant issue" means anything that stops them foisting it on us. You may have picked up over 30 years of delivering crud that quality and security don't really feature as "significant" at Microsoft other than in the marketing department.

This sort of disingenuity is why a lot of us don't trust Microsoft.

Oh, it is but one of many, many reasons..

5. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Stop

Re. This sort of disingenuity is why a lot of us don't trust Microsoft.

OK, I'll bite.

Why would anyone trust Microsoft, or any other corporate entity? Which corporations do you consider more trustworthy than Microsoft?

GJC

1. Jediben
        Joke

Re: Re. This sort of disingenuity is why a lot of us don't trust Microsoft.

Don't worry, Jake will be along in a minute to tell you which ones he owns and thus trusts implicitly.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Absolute Morons

You CAN have one kernel I suppose, though arguably some devices need a different one.

but small Phone, large tablet, desktop primarily with mouse/keys, TV set screen and Server need different GUIs

They need to stop this nonsense (since 1993) of branding everything windows and believing one fits all. For years PDAs / Win CE was crippled by Win95 style GUI. NT family security and integrity damaged after NT3.5

1) NT3.51 gratuitous Office 95 WinAPIs invented to stop win 3.x running office 95

2) NT4.0 unlike explorer preview for NT3.51 integrated too much graphics and printing to Kernel

3) Stupidity of Direct X (so DOS games could be ported

4) Win9x apps on NT4, 2000, XP needing user to be Adminstrator.

5) Aero Stupdity and down grading existing GDI APIs in Vista. Win7 should have been free, only a SP.

6) Stupidity of Win CE/ Win9x reversal of insisting keyboard/Mouse desktop machines should have the Zune inspired interface that only makes sense on small phones On Win 8

7) Win10 is long line of downhill ride since NT 3.5

Perhaps MS will learn and bring out an Enterprise Classic Workstation and Server with best of NT3.5 and XP?

Or will Win 10 be a progressive fail requiring Azure/Cloud and impossible to use without Internet.

1. Alan Sharkey

Re: Absolute Morons

Mage,

I think you need to get out more :)

1. Mage Silver badge
        Coat

I need to be less on the Internet ... just one more forum to post to and I'll go read a book.

Outside has a big hot shiny thing, insects, animals, fast moving vehicles. Other people. It's safer here.

I can't imagine why someone downvoted your excellent sentiment.

1. Antonymous Coward
          Terminator

The RICHTO has been deployed into this MSFT priority thread.

That RICHTO is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until we've all received one downvote.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"5) Aero Stupdity and down grading existing GDI APIs in Vista. Win7 should have been free, only a SP."

OTOH there's someone here who keeps insisting that W10 not having Aero is a problem.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

Windows is sounding more like an emergency windows 8 patch by the day...

4. N2

Only yesterday was it? El reg was trumpeting Microsofts bull shit that Windows 10 was free of defects, I thought, hmm give it a week or two but nay the very next day here we go really its still a complete bag o shite.

Not used this dreadful OS since 2006 and dont miss it one bit

1. dogged

Shut up, then?

2. Afernie
      FAIL

"Not used this dreadful OS since 2006 and don't miss it one bit"

So which part of nearly 10 years of not using it qualifies you to hold forth on the quality (or otherwise) of Windows 10? I'll let Harlan explain what the problem is with that:

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. Without research, without background, without understanding, it’s nothing. It’s just bibble-babble. It’s like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old is new

Remember this old Blimp.TV dig at Vista ?

Vista W10

History repeating itself with MS shipping something that isn't ready.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Old is new

You omitted W8...

2. Planty Bronze badge
      Megaphone

Xbox360 with its 60% defect rate rushed out the door to meet xmas shopping deadlines for braindead consumers...

Sadly they sold millions (mostly bought replacements) and the media slaughtered Sony for taking their time and releasing the product when it was ready, rather than when consumers wanted it to be ready.

Microsoft are a marketing driven company, windows 10 will release on a fixed date with whatever quality they can achieve by then. Any adopters (like Xbox owners) only have themselves to blame when the glitter wears off and they discover the chocolate inner.

1. hplasm
        Devil

" when the glitter wears off and they discover the chocolate inner..."

...is brown, but isn't chocolate...

1. TEQ

Just goes to show, you actually can polish a turd. Shiny shit is still shit, though.

3. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      FAIL

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I do feel it's rather important to point out that Windows 10 has not yet shipped.

GJC

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
        Happy

Ah, down-voted for posting a statement of the bleeding obvious. I love this place :-)

GJC

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Microsoft

Stop using users as testers.

If everyone refused to play with their beta versions they would have to invest in better QA and test.

Dear 'beta testers'. You are not cool early adopters or influencers. You are free cannon-fodder working for free for the profit of Microsoft. Have a word with youselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dear Microsoft

Ach, come off it. My free time and my devices are mine; with which I can do what I like.

If I enjoy trying to make a new piece of software fall over, or am happy to be the canary for a particular set-up, or like watching software develop over a number of versions, or like to be able to talk for myself about what a preview behaves like rather than parroting preview articles, then so be it.

(If I go "tweeting" about it, or try to pretend that I'm an "influencer", then do feel free to remind me to have a word with myself...)

Given the ease with which a device manufacturer can knock together a dodgy driver revision a user will never update, and the proliferation of naff devices, and the number of proprietary, closed source, and mission-critical pieces of application code out there, the idea of having a huge QA and test lab representative of any user machine out there is patently ridiculous. Opening testing out to the users does seem to be the only logical solution. Perhaps you'd be happier if each volunteer tester was slipped a fiver for each unique bug they found?

2. Can't think of anything witty...
      WTF?

Users ahead of Windows 8:

"Microsoft developed this in their ivory tower and never let us even see the new version until we had already bought it. WE HATE IT."

Users ahead of Windows 10

"Microsoft is just using us as beta testers and they are shipping out half-finished software. WE HATE IT."

When you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, maybe you should just do what you think is best...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My point is that people were acting as bug fixers for free - the beneficiary of all this work is a corporation making billions of pounds of profit from it.

If they really cared about quality, testing, and feedback, they would pay for it, and use a representative sample of the user community to do so.

Cheap bastards was my point.

2. hplasm
        Devil

"When you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, maybe you should just do what you think is best..."

i.e. Go to Hell, Microsoft?

7. Bluto Nash

I'll be far happier when it'll allow me to connect to my NAS. Win 8.1 and prior do it just fine.

1. earl grey
      Trollface

Oh, I thought you said NADS

Never mind...

8. wsm

Every time...

...a new Windows version comes out and it takes extra clicks or pokes to find what you need to fix your configuration.

Q: How many UI improvements do you have to wander through to apply a fixed IP address to a remotely accessible box on your network?

A: More than the last time.

1. Doctor_Wibble

Re: Every time...

I've never been able to understand how the user experience teams manage to keep coming up with ways to make things more annoying and less convenient, this must be their truly big-bucks talent.

As for all these fixes - if they don't include something to undo all the 'enhancements' then I'm not interested. I don't want to have to install third-party stuff to fix something that shouldn't have been broken in the first place - all credit to those who put effort into (usually free open source) patches for these.

2. Fuzz

Re: Every time...

A: exactly the same as windows 7 and windows 8 which are both much faster than doing the same thing in XP

Press start, type network connections

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Re: Press start, type network connections

NO! God damn it NO!

How many times do we have to hit UI developers with a CP/M manual before they get this one? If I have to type something into a GUI to find the thing I want they have FAILED at their job. I can type for convenience. I can type for speed. But the GUI is there to be DISCOVERABLE. I need to be able to find things when I don't know what they're called or where they live.

If I don't know where a thing is and have to resort to pointing and clicking around to find it, then the success of the design can be directly measured in the number of interactions I have to make * time each one takes where the lower the final number the better.

You can really cock this up in two ways:

The "Windows 2000 server" way: Have one page, but it's got 20,000 options on it. I'll get lost scrolling around in there trying to find the damn thing I'm looking for. I find it eventually but it takes too damn long.

The "Windows 8.x" way: Click through 20 pages with only 2 options on each having to constantly branch and double back. I'll probably assume I'm going the wrong way and give up before I find what I want.

There is an optimum balance for this - I reckon MS were closing in on it as they moved from NT3 toward XP, but have been moving away from it again ever since vista.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have a bad feeling about this

So, nothing new then.

10. Amorous Cowherder

So far I thought it was quite a good version of Windows. I use it primarily for Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop and they worked perfectly on the last preview version. Kaspersky 2015 was the only product I use that wouldn't work.

Can't stand this trend towards bland, flat icons on interfaces. We struggled from the naff WIndows 1.0 icons to the superb richly detailed icons of WIndows 7, OSX and Gnome and now we seem to be heading away from a rich GUI experience to these faceless, bland interfaces. I assume this new design aesthetic is all about function over form. Sorry but my graphics card and monitor cost me good money so "make wit da bling" as the kids say!

1. Tony Paulazzo

Here you go

http://xxinightxxcreative.weebly.com/free-windows-aero.html

Not used it myself, so no guarantee's that it's spy / adware free, safe or even legal but it's the first thing I'm gonna do when I upgrade. I hate flat, one shaded colour squares.

Oh yea, running preview on home games machine, 101?? version. Right click taskbar, 'show windows side by side' shows them horizontally. Come out of a game and 98% of the desktop picture has turned into coloured dots - yea, this is ready for primetime...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Kaspersky 2015 was the only product I use that wouldn't work.

Ah, I knew the NSA would eventually find a way around the one virus vendor who refuses to whitelist government spyware. Microsoft is a US company, yes? Well, duh.

No, I won't call malice stupidity. For a start, this is the company that insists on dragging a gazillion experts onto the stage every time it presents to governments and military so they certainly have the resources to know (and do) better, and secondly, conspiracy theories are more fun that yet another boring set of Microsoft bugs*. So there.

* And I don't buy the Open Source thing either.

11. Wolfclaw

No Issues

Oh come on, we all know that it is of Vista RTM build quality and that everything they are doing now are features and not issues, they read the Apple support manual before commencing compiling.

12. Sirius Lee

Your bleat yesterday was that you found Paint by typing W but this was contradicted by another commentard who claims it works just fine on three different builds. Now you are bleating about other inconsequentials. Operating systems are complex and will not be bug free (if you know how to solve that problem, create an OS we'd all welcome it). You've decided to bleat about your interpretation of some words by Microsoft. Please, get a life.

13. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

3D / Show cue

It was wonderful (win 3.x?) when shadow and highlight added to buttons.

Flat buttons are a fad. One of the stupidest fads on GUIs in last 25 years.

They are copying it now on real equipment. Stupid unusable print (or meaningless icons) areas on shiny flat panels. ST-TNG was only a TV show.

IDIOTS!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't forget your SSID!

Change you SSID **NOW** to "<name>_optout" or MS will allow unknowns access to your networks.

Windows 10 NBAAS Edition

NBAAS - Network Breach As A Service.

1. Hellcat

Re: Don't forget your SSID!

Please tell me you're just a casual browser here, and don't actually work in IT.

There's a load of ways of disabling wifi sense from sharing to your 'known contacts' - note not unknown.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't forget your SSID!

Only if you trust the users to not-share.

As the network owner, the only way to prevent users from breaching your security is to change the SSID. As these are the users' contacts and not other employees or those who have been given explicit permission to connect by you (the network owner) they are "unknowns".

If you claim otherwise, please cite your source.

15. tonyyaman

yaman tony

microsoft killed of the best windows XP after that its been rubbish so i changed to mac mini ipads and iphones much better

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: yaman tony

Neither of which seem to have the ability to use upper case characters or punctuation.

1. launcap Silver badge

> Neither of which seem to have the ability to use upper case characters or punctuation.

I believe the issue can be summed up by the acronym PICNIC..

2. Hellcat

> Neither of which seem to have the ability to use upper case characters or punctuation.

Have you tried using case and punctuation on an iPad? Another stupid idea of copying the real world onto the screen. We don't need the keys to display upper or lower case as we can feel the shift key is pressed - that doesn't translate over to a touchscreen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like