back to article Microsoft in Blighty reveals its 78 THOUSAND POUND Surface 3 slabloid

Microsoft's UK store is offering a £77,777.77 version of its Surface 3 tabletoid. That's about US$121,966 or AU$158,520 for those beyond Blighty's sceptred shores. And for those who haven't shopped for a hybrid laptop/tablet lately, its more than 100 times the usual price for such a device. What do you get for that hefty …

1. h4rm0ny

Well...

Microsoft have been trying to emulate Apple for a while now, seems they're just carrying on that tradition.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. adam payne

The one hell of a bug

1. Fungus Bob

It's not a bug, it's a feature...

4. PsychicMonkey
    Joke

Isn't it obvious?

That is the NHS pricing...

5. jake Silver badge

Bottom line?

Idiots abound. Mega-corporations profit.

::shrugs::

6. Adam 1

But it comes with a 3 month Now TV subscription. That's got to be worth at least 76K right there.

7. James Cane

Slow news day?

Or are we just bored?

1. Vince

Re: Slow news day?

Gotta get that advertising revenue somehow. Non articles are all the rage at El Reg.

8. A K Stiles
    Joke

One good point

At least they're not making a huge margin in the price difference for doubling the RAM and storage, like most of the other hardware out there!

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Richard 120

Bug?

I doubt that's a bug, that's going to be a data error, a value missing from a database.

It's going to be a fall back to a default value, not the programmers fault, this one's the fault of the beancounters.

11. Fihart

The price is right.

That's no typo -- it's what it cost Microsoft to build the Surface range, divided by the number sold.

12. DarkLordofSurrey
    FAIL

erm £77,777.77 - £499 (128GB) = £75,000.00?

13. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Two! Nine A! The number of the beast!

Yes, that price *is* probably wrong- given that this is MS we're talking about, shouldn't it be £666,666?

Yeah, people might think they were copying Apple in that respect (*) but that doesn't seem to have bothered them in the past. :-)

(*) No, really

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

Re: Two! Nine A! The number of the beast!

Dear Sir,

We wish to inform you that our client, Apple Computers, holds all relevant trademarks and patents relating to The Beast(tm), The Number Of The Beast(tm) and Hordes Of Zombie Slaves Of The Beast(tm), which they actively exercise in connection with their business of achieving world domination through mind control.

We take a very dim view of your encouragement of Microsoft to infringe our client's rights and require you to cease and desist forthwith.

Yours etc,

Messrs Hangem and Floggem, Solicitors and Commissioners for Oaths.

1. magickmark
        Trollface

Surely that should be Messrs Hangem, High and Floggem?

1. Richard Taylor 2
          Devil

To be pedantic, the number of the Beast is probably 616 - a mistranslation is responsible for all those god bothers getting het up about companies with three 6s in the telephone number/logo/ip etc etc etc

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And Stephen Fry said the same, so it must be correct!!!!

Fancy Wikipedia stealing his highness' thunder...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or just a dummy value...

... easier to put a stupid price in rather than remove the listing. (Amazon apparently does/did have similar issue - £20k for a paperback isn't a real price just a stock gap for a third party provider: simple to change price than de-list/re-list.)

1. BobRocket

Re: Or just a dummy value...2 x mistakes = correct

I've just ordered 32, when it got to the payment bit I felt safe that the total would be a little over my card limit.

It turns out that the total charge was £2.24 less 4% volume discount so they charged me £2.15 (with free express delivery) (7p each, I think I was overcharged :)

I've got a shipping number and they said they would arrive by Friday.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Or just a dummy value...2 x mistakes = correct @Bob

I don't see a joke icon.

If this is real, let us all know whether they arrive!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The MS webstore running on Azure ?

1. h4rm0ny

They should have used AWS which as we all know has solved the problem of users typing in the wrong information

16. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

77p

My final offer

17. David Roberts

When was that leap second thing going to happen?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I can believe it.

Just one more example of us Brits being continually ripped off for everything.

19. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

I'm a silly American

I saw the headline and thought "holy shit, that thing must be huge to be so heavy."

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out on the 3rd

Looks like they are making adjustments ready for a release on the 3rd:

http://blog.surface.com/2015/07/surface-3-4g-lte-is-coming/

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's just one of those currency "conversion" things US corporations do. Nothing new.

22. casaloco

It's pretty obvious...

It's pretty obvious that someone has manually set it to that price as they are out of stock.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like