back to article Apple gets around to fixing those 77 security holes in OS X Yosemite

Apple has released a series of security updates to address 77 CVE-listed security vulnerabilities in OS X Yosemite. The Yosemite 10.10.4 update includes fixes for QuickTime, OpenSSL and ImageIO, along with remote code execution flaws and other exploits that could allow an attacker to obtain elevated privileges or crash …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

for Mac Pro 2,2 owners

Due to many Macs being stuck on Mac OS 10.7 (or even 10.6 or earlier), without going the hackintosh route, the solution to continue to receive security updates is simply to boot into Linux, FreeBSD or even Windows 7. Basically every other modern OS is going to support your Mac long after Apple. Apple it seems is even having problems keeping its latest greatest shiny up to date security wise. Have no fear about the one thing Apple will continue to keep to date with ever more bloat is iTunes.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: for Mac Pro owners

One man's service pack is another's yearly "new" OS forcing obsolescence.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

I could say "Apple should support their computers longer" but that's not the real issue. Those 10.6 Macs are really old. It's that MacOS gets progressively slower with each release and the hardware hasn't made any great leaps in performance. It makes a 3000+ USD hardware upgrade difficult to justify.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>I could say "Apple should support their computers longer"

You mean like the original iPad which was only supported for about 2 and half years? The simple fact is you can get a currently supported Windows version (still releasing security updates) to run fairly easily on every Intel Mac ever released. You can not same the same thing about Mac OS X even those its made by the friggin OEM. Why? Because Microsoft is still largely a software company and Apple is hardware company who uses software only to make you buy ever more expensive bling hardware to stay in the hipsters club. If a bunch of BSD hobbyists folks can support the hardware, Apple has no excuse other than greed. I would rather Apple charge nearly what Microsoft does for the OS and support the hardware nearly as long as opposed to giving new service packs away for free for only a few years and then saying sorry you are on your own, like they do now. Its also why keeping the OS security up to date is such an afterthought to Apple. Its nothing but a business expense to them instead of a commitment to their customers. After all they get most of their money up front from you.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

They will however continue to update iTunes until the end of time. Can never have too much bloat in an online store.

Bloat is one thing, the constant changes in how things are organised is another! Every new update seems to include a UI redesign.

I guess my problem is that I use it for my own music and not to buy from Apple.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: for Mac Pro 2,2 owners

Apologies for all the double posts. El Regs Web 3.0 craptastic makeover has really made the forums shit the bed in the last few days at least for me with posts and edits disappearing etc.

2. fnusnu

Definitive EOL dates

Once again the lack of definitive EOL dates for older versions of OSX leaves mac users in limbo land...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Definitive EOL dates

Hush you. You can only stay in the hipster club as long as Mr. Cook thinks you should. Speak up again and we tear up your card.

3. Daniel B.
    Boffin

EFI Update

There's another very relevant update: they've finally fixed the EFI bug where EFI flash can be overwritten after waking up from sleep, as the areas that should be write-protected are flipped back to read/write when sleeping, but not turned back to read-only upon waking. Whoops!

4. Mark 65

Graphics driver

Perhaps they'd be so kind as to fix their fucked up graphics driver for the 5750 cards installed in iMacs. I've just rolled back to Mavericks as I just got so pissed off by the continual lock-ups and random visual barfing all over the monitor and could take it no more.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. oneeye

Apple's last update fixed 80 vulns,50 for Safari alone.

Now we know why Google left WebKit development and developed their Blink rendering engine. Its becoming the Adobe flash of browsers. Safari that is. Apple thinks more highly of themselves than they ought to. As a consequence,most of the outside help WebKit used to get,has now disappeared. Apple should start a patch Tuesday like MS. Leaving their users vulnerable to issues up to a year in some cases because everything is tied to the os, is just plain stupid these days. But the fanboys will think that the update was just to deliver a new app. Is'nt that Bait and switch?

1. Mike Bell

Re: Apple's last update fixed 80 vulns,50 for Safari alone.

But Google didn't leave WebKit development. Blink is a fork of WebKit.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple's last update fixed 80 vulns,50 for Safari alone.

Microsoft rushes out latest Windows 10 build. 300 fixes?

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Phuq Witt

Is there an echo in here?

Or is someone having difficulty restraining themselves?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is there an echo in here?

All apologies. El Reg obviously doesn't do much testing with FreeBSD Firefox with NoScript and Ghostery. Their forum system often either never posts or only shows a post 12 hours later.

9. Isaac.Eiland-Hall

"Your OS X box"

"Your OS X box"? Sounds like a Microsoft problem when you phrase it that way. hehe

10. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Flame

Apple are fscking useless

iMac 7,1 running Yosemite 10.10.4 still can't discover SMB shares. I guess this is now won't be fixed in Yosemite but may work in El Capitan. Now there's an incentive for upgrading.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like