back to article NSA continues mass slurping of Americans' phone metadata

The NSA can continue to monitor when and where millions and millions of Americans use their cellphones, and who they're calling and texting. The USA Freedom Act is supposed to slightly rein in that level of surveillance, by forcing telcos to collect the records and make the Feds apply for the information. That doesn't kick in …

1. Ole Juul

Foreign Intelligence Surveillance

Since when did Americans become foreign in the USA?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Foreign Intelligence Surveillance

once they became a threat to the ruling king of america and his court, whoever that might be

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Since they became the enemy, apparently.

3. Mark 85

Ever since Pogo put it this way: "We have met the enemy and he is us.".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but remember, there are dangerous terrorists out there!

some 'terrorist' led operations have claimed around 60,000 lives

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Ecuador-Reviews-CIA-Documents-Death-of-Late-President-20150630-0021.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

this link shows how 'NSA' telecoms monitoring was used in 'Condor'

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/CIA-Document-Reveals-Ecuador-Part-of-Operation-Condor-20150327-0018.html

and what happened to the ten-minute edit window, my posts just disappear for 10 mins, before appearing on El'Reg - no edit possible, is this fallout from the estonian moderation ruling?

1. AbelSoul
        Alert

Re: what happened to the ten-minute edit window

I hadn't noticed that.

-EDIT-

Obviously because it isn't effecting me.

2. Captain DaFt

Re: this link shows how 'NSA' telecoms monitoring was used in 'Condor'

Well, my posts were disappearing into the void, I just figured the servers had hit their limit on snark.

They've shown up now, though. Probably just a hiccough due to the new cookie warning.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

"associated with an approved international terrorist organization." - what if ISIS don't apply to become approved?

And all their home grown terrorists wil feel upset at not being included.

Americans eh, what can you do?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. oneeye

More lawlessness! God,I'm so sick of this crap! I bet they never even paused,or stopped like they were supposed to. It's like they have an addiction or something. High time they detox from the power trip.

6. Christoph

"they can track who made the call, and the metadata of anyone the call recipient contacts, and anyone those people call."

Everyone who gets calls back from the same takeaway, the same travel agent, the same bank, the same government office ...

Not much of a limitation then.

1. auburnman

They probably arrange for one of those spam robocall companies to call any two numbers they want to link. Once you've got the rationale to track the second number by 'association' with the primary, sift through the data until you can justify tracking it independently and boom, another root to grow out through the system.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Devil

Re: auburnman

"They probably arrange for one of those spam robocall companies to call any two numbers they want to link...." Or just arrange a line test....

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Facepalm

He what now?

Office of the Director of National Intelligence will publish the document on its Tumblr page.

I hope he spices it up with bondage gear photos.

8. cyrus
    Facepalm

On Tumblr?

Because the Director of National Intelligence is demented and sad, but social?

9. Mark 85

Oxymoron?

Director of National Intelligence...? I'm American and I've often wondered about this concept.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Oxymoron?

"Director of National Intelligence...?"

Ranks right up there with Unicorn Trainer, doesn't it?

10. WalterAlter
    Pirate

I'm laying in a supply of popcorn

Just waiting until that OPM data breach kicks in. They may be Chinese, but by way of Ragnar Lothbrok, giggle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like