back to article Hello Tosh, got a downrated 6TB spinner? Yes, for slower workloads

Toshiba has introduced a downrated version of its MG04 6TB disk drive, suitable for bulk storage and cloud-based apps requiring less data transfer velocity than the standard model. This feat is accomplished by retaining most of the feeds and speeds, such as the 7,200rpm spin speed, but giving it a 6Gbit/s SATA interface …

1. CAPS LOCK

Bring back Quantum Bigfoot drives, big, slow, cool, reliable...

... you know it makes sense.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Bring back Quantum Bigfoot drives, big, slow, cool, reliable...

Reliable? Quantum Bigfoots were the first hard drives I encountered that actually needed firmware updates to NOT cause corruption while writes. I remember regularly using a dozen or so BBS's back then but I can't remember hard drive firmware updates to any models in the file areas.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, I'd quite happily put a bigger form drive in one of the many drive bays I have free if it meant significantly higher capacity, cooler running and better reliability at an economical cost. I still have a 4GB Bigfoot that runs fine to this day in one of my retro use machines.

Probably the cost of making something in a completely different form factor requires too much initial investment for them to be sold at a reasonable price however.

1. CAPS LOCK

In round figures, twice the storage with the same number of parts to make or buy. 'Win' as they say on the intertubes.

2. Nigel 11

How do you know that these won't last twenty years?

Over the years I have encountered models that were complete lemons, and batches of formerly reliable drives that suffered presumed common-mode component failures. Excluding these, I've found that the majority of IDE and SATA drives were working well up to the day the system they were in was scrapped. No manufacturer stood out as better or worse, but really unless you are the like of Google (who aren't telling), you haven't got a big enough sample set to judge past history let alone extrapolate the future of a newer model.

By the time you (or the manufacturer) knows that a particular design is long-term reliable, it is also obsolete and no longer in manufacture. So cross your fingers, touch wood, mirror your disks, pair different manufacturers to minimise common-mode risks, and make sure of your backups!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed

Just this week I finally threw away several sub 20GB drives I have had for donkeys years, and had installed in the childrens PCs for the last 2-3 years. Prior to that, the childrens PCs were fitted with an assortment of REALLY ancient drives, going all the way down to a 850MB drive that arrived in a Win95 box back in 1997.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: Agreed

I hope 'threw away' was a typo for 'harvested the magnets from'

2. DWRandolph

disk reliabilty reports from BackBlaze

There is at least one place that has published some of their disk statistics;

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

3. Steve Hill

That's a lot of eggs for one basket...

How many Bytes in an egg anyway?

1. A. H. O. Thabeth

Re: That's a lot of eggs for one basket...

Backup, backup and backup and if you are in doubt back up again.

2. Disko
      Joke

Re: That's a lot of eggs for one basket...

For REALLY reliable longterm storage look to the Phaistos Disc system, it's known to last at least 4000 years and on top of that has really good encryption.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the drive interface got to do with it?

200MiB/sec sustained = 1.677Gbps. That's well within the old 3Gbps SATA, let alone 6Gbps.

If they spun the drive slower then it would make sense. It would also run cooler and last longer. But if not, how have they crippled the SATA version?

5. Mage Silver badge

Helium

Notorious for leaking. How long does it last?

1. PleebSmash
      Boffin

Re: Helium

The warranty is 5 years for HGST Helium drives.

This Toshiba drive is not a helium drive.

2. PleebSmash
      Boffin

Re: Helium

There is no helium in the Toshiba drive.

HGST's helium drives come with 5 year warranties.

6. PleebSmash
    Megaphone

fax

1. HGST helium drives add 2 platters to the count of 5, not 1. Although Seagate manages 6 without helium.

2. Who would sell a 7 TB drive? 6, 8, 10, 12... maybe 7.5.

7. Disko
    Coat

But will it hold...

..a complete copy of Crysis...?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like