First Direct making my life HELL!!!

This topic was created by 1980s_coder .

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. jake Silver badge

Re: First Direct making my life HELL!!!

"On Thursday, tried to send a telegram to long distance girlfriend."

A telegram Really? Why? Email's kinda handy. Same sentiment, no charge.

"Today, tried to send flowers to long distance girlfriend"

::snip fiddling about with international credit minutia::

Suggestion: Either find a local girlfriend, or move to Brazil.

Hint: A local girlfriend is a happy thing. I married mine, about two decades ago. She is still my girlfriend.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. jake Silver badge

"2G that cuts off at times, and no ADSL broadband is not very useful, even for email."

There is no dial-up to check email in Brazil? Really?

I personally use a 9600 baud dial-up connection about 7 days a month (our place up in Fort Bragg is roughly 14 miles from the CO, and I hate Satellite connections). When it rains or is foggy, I'm lucky to see 4800, and 2400 is common[0]. About the only thing that I do differently up there than down here in Sonoma is my choice of Web browser. Up there, I use Lynx[1], down here I use Firefox. The end result is pretty much the same.

"Whats wrong with sending flowers?"

Absolutely nothing! :-)

"you really should read, (and comment), on this thread about my long distance relationship."

Done.

[0] Old cable plant and cracked, dusty wires make for a bad signal/noise ratio when wet.

[1] There are other, arguably better, text-only browsers, but my fingers know Lynx. That'll happen to a guy when he's been using software for a couple decades or so ...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

- Fort Bragg

How apt :D

1. Roo
              Windows

I was going to award jake a medal for using Lynx over dial-up. I spent a few years doing that myself - but moved on when kitty pics, flash & javascript took over the interwebs.

1. jake Silver badge

"but moved on when kitty pics, flash & javascript took over the interwebs."

Haven't you noticed that 99.99 percent of everything useful on teh human-readable IntraWebTubes is good old fashioned 7-bit ASCII text? (This includes pointers to binaries, of course).

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Dan Paul

Contact their fraud department directly

I have the same problem with a Visa card from Bank of America.

Somehow, the retards had put a very low limit (less than 100 $) on "card not present" transactions.

I called them and asked the person who answered to speak to the fraud department and told them under no circumstances were they to automatically reject my purchases without calling me first and told them that the "card not present" limit had better be increased to $1,100 immediately.

I explained that my line of credit with them is HUGE and my checking account has quite enough to cover the purchases, if that wasn't enough for them I would go to a branch and close all my accounts.

However, next time you go out of country let them know that with a call and it will help.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon