back to article The Great Windows Server 2003 migration: Where do we go from here?

We all have to move away from Server 2003 before it turns into a pumpkin in July, but there are so many options out there that choosing the destination for our data and workloads can be a little overwhelming. What your workloads are will play a big part in determining which operating system you can upgrade to. The details of …

1. CAPS LOCK

For Dog's sake shut up about w2k3 eol.

It won't make MS any more money banging on about it now. That ship has SAILED.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: For Dog's sake shut up about w2k3 eol.

You may not care about w2k3, and certainly I don't care as I have not responsibility for w2k3 machines, but there is a lot of businesses out there that are about to get their backside's bitten.

Most of it is down to a lack of forward planning, and some of it is down to changes MS have made. You know, like no new 32-bit server machines supporting 16-bit code, or updated security practices that bork badly written older software (like some of MS' own code from around 2000...)

They have to do something: whether it is crossed fingers and more care in firewalls, or migrating some off the physical w2k3 machine and leaving the troublesome code on a VM, or even totally re-thinking what they do and why. So while it may be tedious to hear repeatedly, it is also with a good reason.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Server... wow, that's a blast from the past.

3. Robert Simmons
    Stop

BGP? In Windows? Oh dear god no.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

32bit apps with 16bit installers

One issue you may come across is 32 bit apps that would work on 64 bit machines if you could just install them. Unfortunately, they have 16 bit installers that won't run. I have come across several old applications with this problem. Newer versions are not available as the vendor no longer exists, but businesses still use them because they work.

You could pay for something like Thinapp and package them, but an alternative option is to use the Sysinternals Procmon tool. This can record the installation onto a 32bit machine. The required files and settings can then be replayed onto a 64bit server.

See this blog post for full details of the process and the replay scripts:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aaron_margosis/archive/2014/09/05/the-case-of-the-app-install-recorder.aspx

5. W. Anderson

A very narrow, shallow and poor case for Windows retention

The article writer makes no case for remaining on Windows Server, except vague derogatory comments about Linux, BSD not being worth the effort.

Active Directory integration is a no-issue in 2015 for NIX (UNIX/BSD/Linux) servers and administration and the topic of Windows Server - ever Server 2012 R2 having a poor record of security and robust reliability as compared to NIX is never memtioned.

Furthermore advanced storage technologies like "containerization", very high level virtualization, Big Data analytics, dominant and “best of Breed Web development technologies and other required functions standard in NIX are completely absent from Microsoft products and services.

I therefore suspect article writer is either a Microsoft software partner, Microsoft solution provider or supporter with little or no professional/expert knowledge or experience on NIX, or lastly a possible paid propagandist for continued Microsoft adoption – in other words a pathetic shill.

Any truly technology solution professional/expert with credible experience in both NIX and Microsoft sfield would know immediately the path taken by most Cloud Services vendors, Financial Services, Banks and Stock Exchanges - USA and International, the vast majority of Networking/Web and Cloud vendors prefer and do adopt NIX solutions over Microsoft for good and successful reasons.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: A very narrow, shallow and poor case for Windows retention

If you follow El Reg and have read other articles by Trevor Pott you would know he simply speaks his mind on what has worked for his business and that may, or may not, be a MS-based solution. He is certainly not a "pathetic shill" as you suggest.

1. W. Anderson

Re: A very narrow, shallow and poor case for Windows retention

He has to be if dissing UNIX/BSD/Linux (NIX) solutions as a viable alternative for Windows 2003 migration "without" one shred of credible and fact based technical or case study references.

Companies such as IBM, Oracle, Cisco, Netflix, Disney Pictures, Boeing and RedHat - even NASA and most topt universities in USA and Internationally have documented many real world instances of such (Win - NIX) migrations for clients - large AND small with truly spectacular results, most particularly in sgnificantly increased reliability, security and unmatched Return on Investment (ROI).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

16 bit installers

One issue you may come across is 32 bit apps that would work on 64 bit machines if you could just install them. Unfortunately, they have 16 bit installers that don't run. I have come across several old applications with this problem. Newer versions are not available as the vendor no longer exists, but businesses still use them because they work.

You could pay for something like Thinapp and package them, but an alternative option is to use the Sysinternals Procmon tool. This can record the installation onto a 32bit machine. The required files and registry settings can then be replayed onto a 64bit server.

See this blog post for full details of the process and the replay scripts:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aaron_margosis/archive/2014/09/05/the-case-of-the-app-install-recorder.aspx

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

32 bit apps with 16 bit installers

One issue you may come across is that you have a 32bit application that would work fine on 2012R2 if you could install it, but it has a 16 bit installer that won't run. I have seen several old applications with this problem where there is no newer version, usually because the vendor no longer exists.

If there is no option to replace these applications, then you can use the Sysinternals procmon tool to record the installation on a 32 bit machine and replay it onto the 64bit server.

See this blog posting for details on the process and the required replay scripts:

Alternatively you could package it with something like Thinapp which is easier but at extra cost.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 32 bit apps with 16 bit installers

Hmm. didn't meant to spam the forum with this, but yesterday postings were not appearing. After 3 attempts at posting I gave up. They still hadn't appeared after several hours, so I didn't expect to see them here today.

The Register site in general was painfully slow yesterday. Were you under DDOS or having hosting problems?

8. Your alien overlord - fear me

Well, I'm not telling my clients to upgrade (all SME's) - can you image telling the company owner it'll cost a few grand to upgrade the server (and Exchange) now when the new version is out next year. Bad timing on M$ part.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

You are going to let your companies run without security updates for a year? Good luck!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> turns into a pumpkin in July

Eh ?

Anon as I ought to be working, but hey-ho ...

We've still got 2003 out there, and guess what - they didn't stop working on 1st July, and they won't stop working in August, or Sept, or ...

As to "no more security fixes", well I don't think these have been updated in years anyway - they weren't broken, so why breakfix them ? Sat in the corner (well actually, some are sat in the corner, some are VMs), doing one task, not connecting to the outside world, little connecting to them - and most importantly, running "stuff" that we don't really understand and connecting to something else on the network that's out of support as well (as in, "you want to upgrade that ? Good luck !")

Now, for the customers still running mail etc on 2003, well they know about it but don't want to spend the money. As usual, Microsoft seems to be an ecosystem where you sign a few blank cheques as you enter, and let them decide when and for how much they are going to cash them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like