back to article EUROPEAN PURGE on hated mobile roaming charges

After 12 hours of tense negotiations, EU negotiators agreed at 3am on Tuesday to impose a minimal cap on mobile phone roaming charges for calls, texts and data. The so-called Telecoms Package has been in trouble for months, but – acting on behalf of EU member states – the rotating EU Council Presidency, under Latvia, pushed …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

It's possible to discriminate against foreigners, for example, by requiring presentation of a type of national ID that they can't easily get.

Not come across that anywhere and I can't imagine it surviving a challenge.

Existing rules already make unbundling when roaming possible. So there should soon be third parties offering deals to the minority who have "above average" requirements: single telephone number but calls and data can be handled by other partners when travelling.

The telco's are eking out charges as long as possible but the increasing ubiquity (I'm not sure if that's an oxymoron) of wireless when travelling is really eating into their margins. Worth noting that this generally affects the operators in holiday countries more than the travellers.

2. ilmari

They can require a credit check before sales. The credit check agency of course identifies people by the national social security number only, which automatically excludes foreigners.

(This is hiw scandinavia does it)

2. M7S

How may I count the ways....

that by the time this comes into force, as a UK resident holidaying in Greece, I shall be excluded from any benefit

1. dogged

Re: How may I count the ways....

True, but your £s will be worth a whole lot of drachmas.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Introduced by mid-2017? Great, just in time for the EU's collapse then!

Roaming charges are the type of thing that shouldn't have existed in the first place, if the purpose of the EU was supposed to be a better deal for everyone involved. Of course, recent and past events show that was never the intention of the architects and leaders behind the rotten United States of Europe.

4. 080

Still not cheap

The proposed charges are still not that cheap. The provider will be charging you in effect for what you have already paid, i.e. your UK allowance. If Three can let you use your UK allowance in several EU countries and others around the world why can't the rest?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Still not cheap

Very competitive for PAYG though, it's several times cheaper.

Which means telcos will enforce a residency test for PAYG so you can't just get a SIM the next time you're on holiday and take it back home.

Hurray for the law of unintended consequences.

Perhaps the EU should have said roaming charges should be no more than x% of home charges, but they were never really bothered about the practical effects their laws have on day-to-day life (see Greece etc).

1. Anonymous Blowhard

"Very competitive for PAYG though, it's several times cheaper."

I think you've misunderstood; the costs mentioned are additional roaming charges, to be added to whatever you already pay for your service, not the total cost of a minute or a text.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Facepalm

Oops. My bad. Icon for me.

In order to get this Net Neutrality has been thrown under a bus so I can still leave my anti-EU rant in though.

5. Fuzz

€0.05 per MB

That's 5 euro cents per MB so €50 per GB of data in addition to whatever bat shit crazy figure your operator has pulled out of their arse to charge you for out of bundle data.

6. moejurray

In light of Tunisia incident, please revise headline and image

Dear People,

In light of the shooting in Tunisia, I think it would be kind of you to revise your headline and image.

Yeah?

Thank you.

7. Pigro

bundle?

This doesn't address the issue of eligibility of domestic bundle for usage abroad. IIRC, the previous proposed legislation that should have kicked in this year (but was aborted) explicitly stated that your domestic bundle would be usable whilst roaming in any EU country. Anyone know if the new legislation will include this?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like