back to article Devs, welcome your EVIL ROBOT OVERLORDS from MIT

Computer science researchers at MIT might just be working on technologies to eliminate computer science practitioners. That's the truly evil outcome of work going on at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab, which The Register hopes will be found next to the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics …

1. Dick Pountain

The Last One. Again.

2. Mark 85
    Devil

Oh the Humanity....

But only if it can fix Windows.... otherwise, no worries.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Black Watch Opportunities in Dark Web Ventures at the Silvery Lined Cloud Interface

Hi, Richard Chirgwin, and thanks for that heads up on the state of MIT AI Fabless Lab Play with Super Sublime Source for IntelAIgent Shenanigans.

Methinks though, and it is shared freely here for near and further far and distant field work consideration with El Regers for them to decide upon themselves, and I would be more than just positively sure that the thoughts be not at all incorrect, that it be a clone of a mirror in a parallel of an application for alienating work, rest and play in NEUKlearer Hot Cold War Warrior Territory, for they are too similar in their target to be lightly dismissed as being in many ways any different.

Which be the Master Application Program and which be the Slaves Operating System is a mega multi trillion dollar question, and whenever the one can be both the other and both together for the creation of yet another IDEntity in IntelAIgently Designed Entropy, is there a secure quantum leap made in futures command and stock assets control for energy generation and power distribution.

And there's not enough money in the world to buy that, but it is easily sold in loose bits and small lots to high bidders and fast rollers with a backbone of the right stuff in evidence, for it be needed for purchase.

1. Kubla Cant

Re: Black Watch Opportunities in Dark Web Ventures at the Silvery Lined Cloud Interface

I always try to read the posts by amanfromMars 1, but I find brain-pain kicks in after about five lines. I'm off to lie down.

2. M man

Re: Black Watch Opportunities in Dark Web Ventures at the Silvery Lined Cloud Interface

Ful stops.

Heres a few.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

mWahaha

As you approach the lift to the underground lair of these codewranglers, cunningly hidden behind a large confederate battle flag, classical organ music can be faintly heard playing ....

The thought occurs that this system can also spit out a number between 0 and 1 indicating exactly how sucky the freestyling fast-delivering developer you hired last month has been so far.

PDF here: Automatic Error Elimination by Horizontal Code Transfer across Multiple Applications

5. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Exploits

This seems to me to be an analysis, comparison and substitution system albeit of significant complexity. The comparison phase relies on sufficient variation in the software components identified by the system to allow effective substitutions. In nature, variation is guaranteed through mutations and genetic crossing. In software, I gather that the trend is towards standardisation and the use of reusable component libraries.

Good luck with it all - I suspect there will be as many developer-less software houses in 10 years as there are now paperless offices.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Exploits

Devless dev houses? We already have those. Too bad CodePhage can't handle WordPress...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given human nature - this would encourage developers to assume the system will pick up and correct any problems. That's what happened once compilers started to detect more subtle errors - people threw code at the compiler rather than checking it by hand. In some ways it is more efficient - but often with unintended consequences.

It reminds me of the way the UK Parliament now tends to write new laws. They have loose drafting - and depend on the appeal courts to sort out the detail when obvious anomalies arise. People hurt in the process are just collateral damage.

7. AbelSoul
    Trollface

Jn

Jn other words

Well, it's certainly one of them.

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Not Optional, and Unintended Consequences are Promising Opportunities ....

.... with Smashing Vulnerabilities too

Given human nature - this would encourage developers to assume the system will pick up and correct any problems. That's what happened once compilers started to detect more subtle errors - people threw code at the compiler rather than checking it by hand. In some ways it is more efficient - but often with unintended consequences.

It reminds me of the way the UK Parliament now tends to write new laws. They have loose drafting - and depend on the appeal courts to sort out the detail when obvious anomalies arise. People hurt in the process are just collateral damage. .... Anonymous Coward

Quite so, AC, but it is the System developers correcting problems and creating intended consequences for perversely established operating systems with corrupting practices.

Or it is now that cyber is enabled and able to be all powerful in the hands, hearts and minds of that and those more than capable with words in worlds of Sublime InterNetworking.

SIN, in virtual terms, and not as you may have known it to be in alliance with vice.

9. LucreLout

I'm not worried...

...not in the least.

If CodePhage can seriously analyse the steaming pile of crap I'm currently refactoring, picking out distinct units of functionality, then replace them with something that works... Well, good for it. It should crack on.

What's that you say? There's no security component? Hmm. Ok, well it should feel free to add one. Oh, it doesn't do that? Well, security is probably just a nice to have anyway, right? The original dev certainly seems to have thought so.

Lets have it refactor or rewrite the classes so they actually use SOLID design principles, and make it testable. Oh, right, that isn't what it does? Oh. So how am I supposed to get freed up to go build these shinny new greenfield systems? (other than move employer :)

When they have an AI that can make sense of the BA/users vague, poorly thought through, forever changing requirments, and it can anticipate both what they're not telling us, and what it is they actually need, then I'll think about worrying 10 years in the future.

When it can do all that cheaper than me, then I'll worry. Or retire. Or be dead. For a hundred years already.

10. The last doughnut
    Boffin

When I'm not hacking merrily away I'm secretly working on my masterpiece - set to revolutionise the automated generation of code based on pre-idealised functional N-vector text space re-use - I call it regurgicode.

11. ScottAS2
    Paris Hilton

Not complete yet

Can it tell me if an arbitrary program will halt for an arbitrary input?

12. Adair Silver badge

Taking this at face value...

There's danger in monocultures---viruses just love them, as do bacteria, and anything else equipped to take advantage a weaknesses in the system.

Better code /= best code.

13. packrat

ha-ha-ha-ha (cough)

automated programming?

intelligent, friendly, smart (functional programming interface)

optimized (snerk: size, speed, security - cloud, eh?)

gigo AI (

[ Structure History Cause

Function Character Effect

Evolution Impact Correlation]

So cause-effect/ co relation = kinda important there )

= automated intelligent AIs.

last time I looked, the WP doesn't even self-optimize most-used modulaes loading yet.

stripping functions outta objects/ dll? fine.

lemme know when it can harden windows.

packrat

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: ha-ha-ha-ha (cough)

RACTER is now dumping stuff here?

14. sisk
    Terminator

I for one

welcome our new bug patching AI overlords.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon