back to article Subaru Outback Lineartronic: The thinking person’s 4x4

Everyone I know who needs a full-sized, five-door road car that can also drive across fen, bog and hillside owns a Subaru. Not a Range Rover or Land Rover, as they're too expensive. Not a Land Cruiser, as they are too big. Not a suburban SUV, as they are designed for slippery supermarket car parks. Not a Mitsubishi L200, as it …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have

An Audi 4wd A6 - very nice if rather more expensive. I know of a lot of people who need " a full-sized, five-door road car that can also drive across fen, bog and hillside" - it's just where I live. Only one of them has a Subaru. How's that for anecdotal refutation of anecdote.....

1. Dr_N

Re: I have

"I have an Audi 4wd A6"

Out of the way everyone. Audi driver coming through.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Out of the way everyone. Audi driver coming through.

One (other) thing that I do not miss at all about the UK is the rampant jealousy and disdain for anyone who's actually done better than you, regardless of how much harder they worked for it.

Funny thing is how many people like you I've seen that, when they finally got the opportunity, first thing they did was go out and buy a Bavarian car.

1. Dr_N

"One (other) thing that I do not miss at all about the UK is the rampant jealousy and disdain for anyone who's actually done better than you, regardless of how much harder they worked for it."

Oh AC, What makes you think my current model of automotive transport would make me covet someone's VAG?

Surely Audi drivers must know the stick they are opening themselves up to by buying into the Vorsprung durch Technik...?

2. mahasamatman
          Headmaster

Erm ... Audi is not Bavarian.

1. SharkNose

Aren't they based in Ingolstadt in, ermm....Bavaria?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Audi is not Bavarian.

Whether you consider the company as "traditionally" Bavarian, in the way that BMW are, or not, that's where their headquarters are located.

3. MJI Silver badge

One (other) thing that I do not miss at all about the UK is the rampant jealousy and disdain for anyone who's actually done better than you, regardless of how much harder they worked for it.

Why would I want a VW?

I would rather have what I have.

4. dogged

I assume you've left then?

Don't come back.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Don't come back.

No fucking chance!

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"One (other) thing that I do not miss at all about the UK is the rampant jealousy and disdain for anyone who's actually done better than you, regardless of how much harder they worked for it."

Yeah, but I'd miss the sense of humour if I moved. Obviously that's less of an issue for some people.

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: I have An Audi...

Stop tailgating! Geesh!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's why your comment is first. It was probably behind our comments, then cut in front of them at the last moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nope, simply go there before you in more comfort...

1. Dr_N

"Nope, simply go there before you in more comfort..."

...by sitting my Audi 6 inches off the bumper of every car that appears in front of me until they pulled over to let my clearly superior self and car pass them.

Audi drivers, the first to tell you which car they drive even though no one is asking and no one is really that impressed.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: I have An Audi..., juSt responding to a reveiw of an otherwise inadequate 4x4

Nope

2. dogged

> Audi drivers, the first to tell you which car they drive even though no one is asking and no one is really that impressed.

It's an automotive iPhone.

3. LucreLout

Audi drivers, the first to tell you which car they drive even though no one is asking and no one is really that impressed.

And you expect discretion? From people that buy a car with four cock rings on the front? and another four behind?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have an a6 Quattro and a forester, out of the 2, the a6 feels better built, but the 4 wheel drive, traction control, torque, etc on the forester is better. I live in the north of Norway, in the country side, need to go over mountains with snow, the forester handles it far better, its a slightly higher ride, so helps, but if the outback is similar in performance that would be better.

Anonymous as I have an audi:)

4. 10,000 Angry Vegans

Fragile lifestyle appliances marketed to status-ambitious nincompoops (and, as the insurance premium might reveal, thieves).

Plus if an Audi goes off road, how on earth can the tow truck reach it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've thought Subara built pretty good vehicles for a long time. I'd love to see an article on XV CROSSTREK. Somewhat smaller and more in my price range.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd like to see an XV article too! But with tests on sand, rather than snowy roads, I guess there aren't many places in the UK with sandy beaches, or it would be a good opportunity to do some "research"

2. s. pam Silver badge
      Thumb Down

XV velly cheap = velly bad, buy a Firester!

We drove a 64 reg XV and a 64 reg Forester and bought the Forester. The XV back seat I kept hitting my head on the roof and it felt cheap & plastic. The Forester felt solid and we negotiated a good deal with a dealer in the countryside that helped immensely

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"reliable, rugged, versatile all-terrain transport, you buy a Subaru."

All-terrain, I assume, doesn't include mounting a kerb.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: "reliable, rugged, versatile all-terrain transport, you buy a Subaru."

Down votes? Euclid would not be amused.

1. Dan Wilkie

I think it's because people assumed that OP didn't grasp the concept of approach/departure angles.

My Giulietta doesn't have a 25 degree approach/departure angle but it can just about mount a kerb. It can also do a comprehensive job of attempting to file down the rough edges of the kerb with the wheels when the missus is driving :(

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Down votes? Euclid would not be amused.

Not my downvotes, but I did not understand your comment about the kerb. Pretty much any normal car can mount and descend kerbs, assuming that you do it one wheel at a time, which is how you're supposed to. In a lot of Europe, normal street parking involves having the car partially or fully on the pavement.

4. Tannin

"I'm told by my rural chums that the pick of the crop is the Outlander" - I think you mean OUTBACK. The Outlander is a Mitsubishi.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Very nice Motor

Had one of these as a Rental in the USA a few months ago. The 2.5L Petrol was great to drive but the it sucked fuel rather than sipping it. 30mpg (US Gals) on the Interstate at 65mph or thereabouts.

It easily beats the Chrysler Equinox and the other GM tank that I drove last month.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Questions

What is the ground clearance?

Can it drive through 30cm deep mud?

What is it like negotiating dirt road washouts?

How well protected is the rear carrying space, can you throw a couple of rolls of fencing in there with the posts and not have problems?

In fact all this review says is that this is a car for city slickers that have a second home in the country and not an actual working 4x4.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: Questions

Like every car here, it's intended for an over paid contractor as compensation for his shrinking appendage. As long as it can run paupers down, it's fine.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jealous much? I wouldn't need a SUV for that - every car I have owned has screen wipers, ergo suitable for running down wildlife (no, not animals, that would be cruel).

2. 10,000 Angry Vegans

penis extension, noun, offensive slang / A facile put-down made by someone who wants to come over as dismissive, discriminating, aloof etc.; crucially would jump at the chance given the money.

1. fruitoftheloon
          Happy

10k AVs Re: Questions

10kAVs,

I may be missing something, please elucidate.

Kind regards,

jay.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh dear - not adequately compensated are we?

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Like every car here, it's intended for an over paid contractor as compensation for his shrinking appendage.

Says the employee with a shitty salary and small dick.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

At that point you are hitting Range~ and Landrover areas of expertise - with standard size rims you don't have the clearance, and you'd need so much torque to plough through it that low gearing would be essential (unless you are prepared to damage mechanical bits).

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Coat

Silly Brits,

You can go for a Jeep if you want something that does well off road and doesn't spend more time in the repair shop than your garage.

When we had to go off road, the Jeep, along with the addition of the off road package worked well in the fields and we did haul calfs and dogs in the back. Heck we had to flea bomb the car more times than I could remember in one year.

Bottom line. Get a real 4x4 if you need to go off road, or you drive like my wife who routinely hops curbs when she's rounding a corner.

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

IMG suggested a Jeep.

No way, people might see you in it.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Don't jeeps fall over when turning corners?

1. fruitoftheloon
            Thumb Up

@Ac Re: Questions

Ac,

Pre 1999 jeep grand cherokees had uber-soft suspension, our 2004 grand cherokee can corner surprisingly well if you set it up for the corner properly....

Yes I know it is an oxymoron.

Cheers,

Jay

3. MJI Silver badge

Re: Questions - Real 4x4 Gumby

We do buy proper 4x4s, we even have a factory dedicated to making them.

I have one and would have it over any Jeep

1. fruitoftheloon
            WTF?

@MJI Re: Questions - Real 4x4 Gumby

MJI,

that's nice for you.

Ooi what do you consider a 'proper off roader' to be?

Yes I lurve Defenders too, but (re my previous posts), didn't get one for us because it does not meet our requrements, and Defenders are great until they start to rust...

Ymmv.

Cheers,

jay

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: @MJI Questions - Real 4x4 Gumby

I have a Discovery

And it is not rusty either.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> You can go for a Jeep

You mean the real, WWII era GPs? Or the modern "Jeep" brand?

The former used to do a fine job as I recall, though I haven't driven one in decades but, having fairly extensive off-road driving experience (~250,000 km) in remote/dodgy areas, there are 3.5 things you can drive there: a Land Cruiser (there is a reason every Bedouin the the world drives one), a Unimog, a Defender, or if you can ignore the stupidity of having an automatic transmission, a HUMVEE (massive clearance and wheel base, and reasonably straightforward field repairs, though not as good as a Land Cruiser and you better be strong if you're one up and need to change a tyre. Do note that I'm talking about the original military-issue vehicle, not the rebranded macho-man Ford Explorer).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Anything without low range is NOT much use as a genuine off road vehicle...

1. werdsmith Silver badge

"Can it drive through 30cm deep mud?"

This is the thing about 4WD normal cars with normal ride height. I had one, and it was a Volvo Estate 4WD and I presumed it would be OK for travelling to my daughter's equine activities, crossing wet fields etc. But no, not a bit of it. Those damn horseboxes churn up the tracks in and out and leaves ruts deeper than the axle height of the car. Therefore you need masses of driving skill to try to ride on top of the rut peaks, but eventually you find the situation where no amount of talent will keep you from graunching your valance, underside, sills, all sorts of important car bits.

So, you could have adjustable ride height on your car (air suspension), but this is expensive and even more expensive if it goes wrong, and these cars are meant to be tough. So, my solution was to buy a Mk2 Land Rover Discovery diesel for £1500. It gets over the ruts OK, but STILL bottoms out and drags its diff through the mud, but I have a diff protector on it and it solves the problem just fine for less than the price of an air suspension option. So if you really are a thinking person, and are thinking about a 4x4, then think a bit more about where you will be driving it.

3. Al Taylor

What is the ground clearance?

200mm. That's in the review.

Wading depth is 500mm (also in review) so 300mm of mud shouldn't be an issue.

What is it like negotiating dirt road washouts?

Assuming you have the right tyres it should manage what I take to mean a rough and muddy unmetalled lane.

4. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Can it get away from baddies driving a Corvette in a shopping mall?

5. MJI Silver badge

The point of these Subarus is for driving on crap surfaces with a road oriented car.

They are good at what they are, they are not proper offroaders, but much better cars than the softroaders.

If you are driving on tracks and loose surfaces but not tackling deep mud they are ideal.

This is a car for country vets.

And people do not think you are a cock.

Oh and where is the WRX version?

1. Joel 1
        Thumb Up

Absolutely. I bought mine for the higher ride height (to deal with flooded bits of roads) and the ability to negotiate farm tracks and a bit of crossing fields. In fact, as we then proceded to have large dumps of snow just after I bought it, I can verify that it handles snow in the Yorkshire Dales far better than many "4x4s". There is a reason why they have a strong following amongst farmers...

Currently on 160k miles on an 09 plate, and it has been very reliable. I'm beginning to have to swap out wheel bearings, but I think that is acceptable on this sort of mileage. Economy on the diesel is good (in 2009 it was class leading) running at 45.9mpg (measured) over the 160k miles, and stretching to 48 or so on a long run. And it looks like a standard estate, rather than an SUV, and behaves well on the road.

Mind you, the price has increased 50% or so since I got mine, when it was c.20k rather than c.30k now. But you don't get hosed on "options" - the price of the trim levels pretty much includes everything. Might well look at another when this one retires, but that's probably in another 100k miles or so. Probably the favourite car I've had so far.

7. Voland's right hand Silver badge

NIce opening rant

Nice opening rant, wrong conclusion.

It used to be the right one - in the days of the great Forester of old before Toyota made something fit for a supermaket parking out of it. Definitely not Outback though - it cannot get to my summer house (which is a mere dirt track, not even proper offroading) without scraping.

Today the conclusion is actually Isuzu Denver. Starting with the older model 2007 "mid-life" uplift revision and till now (current model) it is the right conclusion of that rant. It drives at 90mph on the autobahn with no fuss. The suspension is on par with a luxury sedan (and much better than the Outback) and it goes anywhere. Including through walls if you ask it.

I test drove the entire Subaru stock from the Toyota acquisition boundary, an L200, a Nissan ballroom truck and an Isuzu when I switched cars last time. Only the Isuzu passed both the offroad test and the suspension quality test. It was entertaining when the car salesman understood that I am not joking when I was pointing at the 3 year old daughter and said "If she likes it". He thought I was joking. That thought lasted until I started lining half of the rear seat area with plastic for the road test. Then he got the message - that I will be using a "live" suspension quality indicator. You should have seen his face at that point :)

1. Bsquared

Re: NIce opening rant

Did exactly the same thing when test driving cars last year - stuck my daughter in the back and drove up and down a twisty mountain road.

"I feel sick" = no sale.

I haven't driven an Isuzu, but we did buy a Gen5 Outback, and it is a truly excellent car.

8. thomas k
    Thumb Up

nice pics

The pictures in the last couple of reviews are definitely showing improvement, keep up the good work.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: nice pics

Agreed.

I was the malcontent who commented on the dodgy picture quality in some previous car reviews. So thank you Team Reg!

9. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Some places need AWD for winter conditions

Not for off-roading, but just for getting to work over roads that have a foot of fresh snow covering several inches of gloss ice, on hills. Mercedes 4Matic combined with Nokian studded tires works for me.

Subarus are quite nice, especially considering they're now part of the 'transportation white goods' conglomerate. They're to be congratulated for maintaining an element of 'interestingness', and knowing how to install an exhaust system without it dangling below the chassis as is the rule with their parent.

10. fishman

Roof rack

At least the UK version doesn't have the massive, ugly roofrack that they stuck on the US version.

In areas of the US that get alot of snow Subarus sell like crazy. Some Subaru dealers can barely keep up with the demand for the Outback, Forester, WRX, and Legacy.

11. pro-logic

Camera vs Radar

I'm curious about the claims made by Subaru about how good the stereo cameras are

"The benefit of using large stereo cameras is apparently how far ahead the system can detect approaching calamity: 110 metres in reasonable visibility. And then there is the added ability to detect the brake lights of cars ahead earlier than comparable radar or camera and radar-based systems."

To my simple mind using computer vision to judge distance by processing a image from twin digital cameras can't be any faster or more accurate than using a radar. A radar also doesn't rely on 'good visibility' a radar can see through fog that a camera can't.

The majority of nose-to-tail-to-nose-to-tail crashes I've seen were caused by poor visibility.

Although it's nice the system can detect a cars brake lights up ahead all that really says is somebody is applying a break and doesn't tell you anything else like how hard they're doing it. You'd need to work that out from the way the distance between your car and the car in front changes over time. Something your car needs to do constantly anyway.

Anyway, my point being, I doubt the answer is 'optical only' or 'radar only' but the typical computer vision answer of 'the more different types on sensors the better'

What do others think?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Camera vs Radar

You're right. Even the burglar detector in my house is 'dual tech', including both Passive IR & Radar. Tech is pretty cheap, why not both and more.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Camera vs Radar

I wondered whether the system with optical only. I have a radar+camera combination and it works massively well, but I haven't used any other system so I can't compare. I think my radar goes out to 200 m or maybe more, but I would need to get the manual out to check--it definitely does the job in poor visibility.

On the other hand, a radar does not work well against some surface types (though personally, I've never had a problem yet).

I reckon dual radar + stereo vision system would be more reliable, but also more expensive.

12. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Terminator

Stereo optical control?

Just how smart is this system? Can simple 3D tricks like lenticular prints fool it into slamming on the brakes?

1. Fink-Nottle

Re: Stereo optical control?

If driver assistance was the main consideration, Subaru wouldn't be my first choice; for the same money I'd feel safer in a sensibly specced Mercedes GLA with pre-safe braking.

13. DanceMan

Looked at the top picture of the front end and immediately thought, "Who put a Subaru badge on a Ford?"

14. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Being a Subaru the engines are boxers. Not better or worse, but different

Subaru's current 3.6L "EZ" flat-6 can boast the same power output and fuel consumption as the competition's 3.5L DOHC V6 engines from ten years ago!

I hear the "FA" engine in the BRZ/86 is a huge improvement over the old "EJ" family though.

15. Cupboard
    Pint

Towing capacity for the 2.0 diesel is 1.8t, and for the 2.5 petrol is 2.0t.

That's not enough for a horse box, no where near enough for a cattle float and less than most of the other vehicles in its class. Not by much mind, a Volvo XC70 is only 2.1t which seems about typical for the slightly 4wd market.

Tyres getting dangerously close to too thin too at 60% profile. I wouldn't buy any less.

28.5" (calculated) on the lower specs, 28.6" on the higher. I wonder if you can actually get decent tyres in the sizes they specify, Cooper don't list any of their 4x4 tyres in the correct sizes (though some pretty close which I guess would do).

Here speaketh a Defender driver, the best 4 x 4 x Far on lovely skinny 100% profile tyres.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

That's not enough for a horse box,

It will pull a little Ifor Williams with a pony in .

But if you are moving a couple of big hunters then forget it.

16. s. pam Silver badge
    Holmes

Subaru knows the correct lanes as well!

We are on our 2nd Subaru now, with the 1st being a 2010 WRX which was awesome, but sucked petrol like a prostitute in Amsterdam when the ships come in....

Now driving a '64 reg Forester diesel manual - and thus is important!

Sister in law had a '62 registered Outback, automatic transmission packed it in and a £5,500 bill for a new one. Turns out like Volvo and Audi & others, the multi-clutch automatic transmission is a FRU- in fail midrange, not fixable, replace true whole bloody thing. We had that happen on a '58 reg Volvo V50 and TADTS, £5,500 please!

Moral: regardless of model, get a manual! Btw, we get almost 48+ mpg on the motorway at 80+ :)

1. TonyJ

Re: Subaru knows the correct lanes as well!

"Btw, we get almost 48+ mpg on the motorway at 80+ :) "

In the interests of legality and for any old bill reading, I presume that is kmh not mph ;-)

17. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Here speaketh a Defender driver, the best 4 x 4 x Far on lovely skinny 100% profile tyres.

You're lucky to get 100% - most standard manufacturer supplied profile nowadays are tubeless 85% as they're more concerned about "look and feel" than actually supplying tools to get the job done.

The earlier comment about '200mm ground clearance ... so 300mm of mud should be no problem" obviously comes from someone who has never driven a vehicle in deep mud, let alone one on stupidly wide, low profile, road biased tyres ...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having owned 7 different Subarus, I agree that they are superb cars, particularly the Legacy/Outback.

Until you've had one, you don't understand just how much of a benefit the 4wd system is when the roads are wet and greasy. I'd never go back to a 2WD car. Of course, you pay for that at the fuel station, Subaru's are very thirsty compared to other cars. I've never averaged more than 28mpg on any of them. My current Legacy averages 20mpg.

They are also not as reliable as their reputation suggests. While you don't get all the regular little niggly problems that other cars give you, every few years you get a massive catastrophic failure of the engine or transmission that costs an absolute fortune to fix.

1. TonyJ

"..Having owned 7 different Subarus, I agree that they are superb cars, particularly the Legacy/Outback."

"..every few years you get a massive catastrophic failure of the engine or transmission that costs an absolute fortune to fix."

Sorry but we have different definitions of superb...something that has a catastrophic, potentially multi-thousands to repair, failure every few years? If nothing else, I want the new vehicle I've bought to be reliable enough that it won't cost me thousands.

I have an L200 specifically to hold all my diving kit and to be able to haul it all cross country when we're cave diving. It has a [mostly] traditional selectable 2wd/2wd/low ratio/locking diffs selector.

Mitsubishi replaced the first one I'd bought because it was so unreliable but the replacement is much better so far.

One of the many reasons I chose it - it has a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty.

I'll tell you in a few years how reliable this one's been :)

2. MJI Silver badge

Subary servicing

Also this is not that cheap, and replacing the cam belt is a bit of a task.

1. Joel 1

Re: Subary servicing

Diesel Outback has a cam chain - no replacement required (160,000 miles and counting)

1. MJI Silver badge

Well the ex Subaru mechanic I know retired about 10 years ago and descriped changing the belts on the quad cam lump.

1. Joel 1

Diesel outback came out in '08, so his experience pre-dates it. A world of difference between the petrol and diesel models, and the US version is effectively a different car with the same name...

19. rich_r

It's a pity they've dropped the 3.0 flat-6 petrol engine from the newer versions. My 2004 Outback 3.0Rn is absolutely superb, and I've had it dragging half a tonne of wood around a muddy field (literally dragging, no trailer!) with no issues. It's tackled some very rough tracks that I thought I'd need my proper 4x4 for (1991 Mitsubishi Pajero), slower than I'd do in the Pajero but it managed fine without any drama.

Remember that the Legacy/Outback started off as a farm vehicle and it's only recently started to become a comfortable semi-luxury road oriented car. It's not 4WD has been bolted onto an existing model, the 4WD system and boxer engine came first, then the body evolved around it.

20. GrumpyDBA

Understated

I own an Outback Type R, the previous model, I can confirm even this model works well in snow, mud and rough surfaces. Utterly reliable, nicely understated and not an audi :)

21. embeddedsteve

Have One - 3.6R Loaded

Ordered mine in US in May, 2014. Was one of the first off the line in August, delivered 8/31 (Birthday present). LOVE THIS CAR! Leather, Eyesight, H6 engine. Lots of room, got it "fully loaded" with trailer hitch. Smooth ride, I get 30 mpg highway. Handles Pittsburgh PA snows no problem. The X-Mode is WOW! LOVE THIS CAR! ! !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon