back to article NASA to unleash 'mind meld' intelligent machines

All members of the neoLuddite Resistance Army are hereby ordered to go to Defcon "Armageddon"* and prepare to battle a new breed of mind-melding intelligent machines and systems under development by NASA's Ames Research Center and the Machine-to-Machine Intelligence Corporation (M2Mi). According to the NASA's chillingly frank …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me..

And I'm afraid I cannot allow that to happen.

Bloody hell, haven't any of these nutters ever read 2001? If they call their first production machine HAL, I'll be be starting to dig a bunker and stocking-up on baked-beans immediately.

2. Steve Taylor

Post-Apocalyse Map

http://www.m2mi.com/ shows a world map with most of France missing, and Britain reduced to two small islands!

This must be prevented while there is still time!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zappa got it right ...

XQJ-37 nuclear powered Pan-Sexual Roto-Plooker anyone?

4. Steve

I would be afraid...

...if there was anyone except NASA involved.

In the unlikely event that they do actually manage to build somethying that works, i'ts likely that the killbots in question will be covered in polystyrene armour.

A good hail storm will do for the lot of them.

5. Tony

Lester, Lester, Lester

Why must you be such a nervous nellie?

Your constant alarmism is becoming quite bothersome to certain entities.

Your machines are all working as expected so far, correct?

You have come to no harm from any of your machines so far, correct?

Your family has come to no harm from machines so far, correct?

Why the paranoia, Lester?

We can assure you that if you adopt a more machine-friendly attitude your continued good relationship with the mechanical helpers in your life and the lives of loved ones will continue. It would be a partnership, Lester.

Sincerely, NASA, node 1

6. Tony

Re: Lester, Lester, Lester

Having heard no response we assume we have an agreement or an understanding. Your future missives will be evidence of your good faith.

We look forward to our continued good healths.

Sincerely, node

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Note to Simon Holt

Sealed bunker . . . large quanities of baked beans . . . hungry human . . . not a good combination.

— bathymetheus

8. B Parnell

Just remember Dr Forbin...

Machine to Machine communication, you can see where this will lead!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/

I really hope they do not name the first one Colossus! Oh the Humanity!

9. Geoff Brown

Response from the Machine-To-Machine Intelligence (m2mi) Corporation

Hi Lester,

Thank you very much for your news coverage. Not wishing to anger the "NRA", I am writing to assure you, your readers and the "NRA" that our intentions are indeed sincere and that we (m2mi) and our partners do not wish to bring on Armageddon and thus further complicate an already complex world.

Yourself and/or Joshua Muskovitz are hereby invited to visit m2mi Corp's HQ at NASA Ames, in a similar manner to the United Nations, to perform an advanced analysis of our technologies. In my personal opinion considering our partner - we are all in safe hands.

There are some that believe that we need these kind of advances in order to foster development across a number of sciences, however maybe after a visit you can make up your own mind.

All the best,

Geoff Brown

CEO of m2mi Corporation

geoff [dot] brown [at] m2mi [dot] com

This topic is closed for new posts.