back to article SpaceX to blast Microsoft's HoloLens visors into SPAAAAACE

A pair of Microsoft's HoloLens augmented reality goggles will be beamed up to the International Space Station on Sunday as part of the cargo in SpaceX's resupply mission. Youtube Video Astronauts will use the HoloLens kit to communicate with ground control and help with complex space station repairs. The two units on this …

1. hplasm
    Meh

Hmpf!

""Remote Expert Mode" will link the astronauts via Skype to technicians on the ground, who will then be able to see what's going on in the ISS and draw annotative notes that can be used to guide repairs (for example)."

"Remote Expert Mode" will sometimes link the astronauts via Skype to technicians on the ground, when the stars are right, who will then occasionally be able to see what's going on in the ISS, but sometimes just hear noises accompanied by what seems to be a slowly changing picture from the lunar surface circa Apollo 11, and then draw annotative notes that could be used to guide repairs if they were not strangely locked in sharepoint, and have to be retrieved from the Russian or Chinese (or Brazillian) space scientists whose governments got them from the NSA backup (for example).

FTFT...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see snowden is back stateside..

..and working for NASA to boot!

1. Schlimnitz
      Happy

Re: I see snowden is back stateside..

I also thought the guy on the left in the video still looked like Snowden.

Which made me think that he could request for asylum there: wouldn't have any trouble getting out of Russia that way

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Does hololens use positional information from the headset to change the viewpoint?

And if so, how does it get it? Inquiring minds want to know - I'm not at all sure how MEMS sensors will work in zero g (though an inertial system might work, if you can cope with the accumulated errors.)

1. Annihilator

Re: Does hololens use positional information from the headset to change the viewpoint?

I wondered that. Perhaps they're only using them as video relays as mentioned, and the "instructionals" are projected using markers to gain positional information. Inertials on their own would be terrible.

Although, it wouldn't be hard to rig up some sort of mini-GPS system in a known environment like the ISS. 3 or 4 synced pulses around the lab, 3 receivers on the headset.

4. Lionel Baden

Right

fine so i have to go to the ISS to try one out !!!

*** HOW MUCH for 1 week return ticket!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Robo Skool Tool?

Robotic labouring can only evolve to the point where it can consistently challenge the efficiency of real intelligence over the artificial variety if the available Knowledge Base it works with can be dynamically augmented in a way which is tailored to the problem at hand. This is how we learn to do stuff. It is why we apprenticeships are so important in jobs that require high knowledge as well as good physical capability and skill.

Thank you Microsoft and NASA... perhaps they could get together with the International Labour Organisation. Perhaps it can find ten million or so working people, who really don't want their jobs for more than another decade or so, and who are willing to be amongst M$/U$A's development guinea pigs.... and want to give everything they've got and know to posterity.

It's no joke.... once you integrate a sensor-suit into a boiler-suit and add to that the log-files of everything being seen by the operator and also have know what knowledge is being accessed to complete a task you then have the beginnings of a wonderful robot-training tool.

One that will make its wearers redundant faster than you can write a pink-slip on a high-speed laser printer.....

The world would be a really nice place...... if there was no work to do

6. Trigonoceps occipitalis

"untrained crew to effect repairs"

As in connect this filter to that CO2 scrubber.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like