back to article EU threesome promises good times for data protection reform

Things can only get better. That’s the message from all parties negotiating the new EU Data Protection Regulation. Following the first so-called trilogue meeting on Wednesday, negotiators representing the European Parliament, the European Commission and the council of national justice ministers said that citizens’ data would …

1. Graham Marsden
    Holmes

Wow...

.. only 20 years behind the times!!!

2. Mystic Megabyte
    Black Helicopters

I'm not particularly politically astute but I keep wondering why certain businessmen want the UK to leave the EU. Is it a divide and conquer plan from the USA? Discuss.

1. asdf

Re: Like

>Is it a divide and conquer plan from the USA?

Honestly the US couldn't give a shit what the UK does or doesn't do (I think Obama even encouraged them publicly to remain in). If the US now needs a country to help it intervene somewhere its going to France anyway (what with the UK learning their lesson somewhat more than the US did with the Iraq misadventure). Either way the UK is in for an immigrant swarm regardless even though that is often an excuse used.

3. Alistair
    Coat

@asdf

Annoyingly the US keeps knocking on the upstairs door looking for help. Our current "tenant" however helpful he may have been to the US lately, is possibly looking to be replaced in October. (I sure as hell hope so)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Right...

Politicians discussing what should be put to referendum to the people concerned...important matters like this should be discussed publicly, ideas exchanged and like Iceland did for their new Constitution, write down in a public document. I despise decisions made behind closed doors because I don't trust people who think they know what's best for the rest of us.

5. David Black

Isn't the easiest and most efficient model just to create a market in your personal data, standardize it and that data about you always belongs to you and use of it must involve a monetary exchange? Want google's services... €99 but hey if you give us your personal information we'll give you a rebate:

search history - €25

gmail access - €25

maps/location data - €25

all other services - €24

Then we can actually chose who does of doesn't rape our personal information and we always have an opt-out right. Hey, if we're particualrly well connected, with lots of friends/followers, we might even make a buck or two just for existing :)

1. asdf
      Mushroom

>Then we can actually chose who does of doesn't rape our personal information and we always have an opt-out right.

Don't worry plenty of millennials are working feverishly to give away your right to privacy because they don't seem to understand the concept. Check out this picture of my hipster lunch on FB and the vine of the dump I took after.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ignorance abounds

How much terrorism existed in 1990 vs today?

1. cupperty

Re: Ignorance abounds

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain there were:

70s: 20

80s: 11

90s: 24

00s: 11

10s: 2 (so far)

terrorist "attacks involving violence or serious threats to life" in the UK.

2. asdf

Re: Ignorance abounds

Wow another millennial that thinks terrorism was invented on 9/11. May I suggest researching Munich in 1972 which as far as terrorism goes is very recent really.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like