back to article WikiLeaks spaffs files showing NSA spied on French presidents

A diplomatic storm is brewing in France after WikiLeaks published evidence that the NSA has spied on at least three French presidents and their senior staff for the last nine years. "The French people have a right to know that their elected government is subject to hostile surveillance from a supposed ally," said WikiLeaks …

1. elDog

Et alors, they tell everyone about my mistresses?

Domage. Nobody cares except the americans.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Et alors, they tell everyone about my mistresses?

'Nobody cares except the americans'

I care, so you are wrong.

Also 'americans' should have been capitalised so you are wrong twice in one sentence.

Well done!

2. Antonymous Coward
    Holmes

"...there are persistent rumors that at least one former NSA staffer is also leaking files."

Unless the NSA hasn't got 'round to resetting Snowden's login credentials yet (not exactly implausible, I suppose) I'd say that that suspicion is altogether more substantial than a "rumour."

"French readers can expect more timely and important revelations in the near future."

1. Mark 85

Re: "...there are persistent rumors that at least one former NSA staffer is also leaking files."

In many ways, I hope there isn't a second leaker for his sake or that he/she is now so far underground* that any of the 5-eyes won't be able to find him/her. All the wrath and frustration will be vented on the second one.

The question is, "is anyone surprised at this"? I wouldn't be surprised if every leader (including the US "leader" - for some value of leader) was being snooped by allies.

*Not dead but hiding.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

Re: "...there are persistent rumors that at least one former NSA staffer is also leaking files."

"The question is, "is anyone surprised at this"? "

Some people, they are not. But one thing is suspecting, the sheep can always be told "oooh, the thin foil paranoia again!" , other is the psychological effect of reading and seeing official secret files leaked.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

I'd be more suprised if they DIDN'T spy on us

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Oscar Wilde

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: I'd be more suprised if they DIDN'T spy on us

I'd be more suprised if they DIDN'T spy on us

Me too. The Americans spy on the French, and the Germans, Britons, etc. They all spy on the Americans, and each other, it's how the game is played.

No doubt there will be some face-saving diplomatic communiqués issued, but I'd imagine that the real reason for the crisis meeting at the Élysée is not because the Americans spied on French presidents, but that they successfully spied on French presidents. Someone in the French counter-intelligence services is in for a bollocking, and a head or two may roll behind closed doors.

Then again, we are talking about a president who popped out of the palace on his scooter for visits to his mistress, and didn't expect anyone to notice...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

But nobody in France minded the President poppping round to see his mistress. What they were disgusted by was that he did it in such a common way as to use a scooter, when he should have been going round there in a chauffeur driven limo. Got to get your priorities right.

The French government planted a bomb in their own London ambassador's official residence garden in the 80s. This was because Mitterand was coming on a visit, and they wanted to bring their own armed security, and the government wouldn't let them. So the idea was to embarrass the British Diplomatic Protection Group, and thus win the argument - and bring their own armed guards over.

Diplomacy isn't always that friendly, even amongst allies.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Then again, we are talking about a president who popped out of the palace on his scooter for visits to his mistress, and didn't expect anyone to notice..."

...and didn't expect anyone to care.

FTFY since this IS France we are talking about.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"and didn't expect anyone to care"

Rightly so. What business does anyone have knowing whom he sleeps with? That's between him and the people he sleeps with.

4. ratfox

But… but… these leaks are terribly endangering the world's ability to fight terrorism!

1. Gordon 10

Indeed gotta keep an eye on those French terrorists, er I mean Government.

It is legitimate to spy on allies (e.g. Falklands Exocet crisis). One would think that there should be a gentlemans agreement to not to spy on heads of state though, but then who said the NSA were ever gentlemen?

1. Nicocys

Easy: "I'm not spying the head of state, just the ones he/she is talking to. Everything else is incidental."

2. g e

And don't forget...

Empowering paedophiles, too, doubtless

5. cortland

French WHAT?

Never mind; I thought it said French RESTAURANTS.

These days, gentlemen DO read each others' mail.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not news

This is not really news. Spy Catcher Peter Wright revealed that the British government spied upon just about every other government it could, and James Bamford in The Shadow Factory beat Snowden to the punch, 5 years ago.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Americans were after the state dinner pate recipe.

1. Gordon 10
      Joke

But why? The Americans have always been more interested in force feeding themselves than force feeding geese.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A great revelation

Not really. If nations were not trying to get information on other leaders then that would be strange.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Information wants to be free

So if that is the moto of Wikileaks, then how should that information be obtained.

10. Valeyard

Politicians

NSA spies on German citizens, French citizens, nothing done

NSA spies on Merkl, Sarkozy etc, EMERGENCY GOVERNMENT MEETING RIGHT NOW, MY PRIVACY!

11. imanidiot Silver badge

What a surprise...

Or not. As said before, i'm not surprised the americans spy on ANY of the european nations. I AM however getting more and more surprised by the fact the european intelligence agencies are still SO eager to work together with the yanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a surprise...

Perhaps that apparent eagerness has waned recently in the light of them bumpkins' equally apparent penchant for splattering full transcripts all over the interwebs.

2. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      Big Brother

Its all fake outrage.

The only reason France, Germany, UK work with the yanks for spying operation is so that they get a feed on want the french, germans , yanks, and english are upto.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Of course we co-operate. Where our interests overlap. And of course we also spy on each other, where they don't. Everyone spies on everyone. At least if they can afford it.

12. Wolfclaw

USA/FRance Allies?

Very loose allies, USA seldom give the frogs any important tech, look how long it took the frogs to develop nukes (1960 v UK 1952), due to the yanks not trusting them with the know how !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: USA/FRance Allies?

Um, OK. Except that the UK gave the Yanks that particular know how. Which some bumpkin fucktard promptly splaffed on to Israel... but that's a whole other can of worms.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The UK and their scientists provided vital information, but they hardly developed the bomb on their own and gave it over. Nor would the UK have had the industrial capacity to refine uranium on the scale required since they were exposed to Nazi bombs. Or do you maintain the Manhattan project all just a ruse to keep some scientists out of the draft?

Withholding information on the bomb from the French seems prudent, given how some of them were quite willing to collaborate with the enemy rather than fight. If the bomb had been invented earlier and plans handed over to the French in 1938, the Vichy would have given them to the Nazis. London, Moscow and Berlin might be a bit more radioactive today had that happened.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Congress banned the US government from sharing nuclear secrets, on the grounds this would give the US a massive advantage for decades. The Russians had the bomb from a combination of spying and knowing it was possible before the end of the 40s. Britain had the advantage that we'd merged our program with the US when they joined the war - so even though they weren't sharing the results, we had some of the scientists who'd generated them to replicate them. And the Labour government were willing to spend in order to get it, whereas immediate post-war France didn't have the cash yet.

Although I've read some suggestions recently that we cheated on the hydrogen bomb. We built a really huge fission bomb, lied to the Americans (and the world), claiming it was a fusion one when it was tested. And then did a deal with the US to trade nuclear info. Since we'd gone for a different method of making the hydrogen bomb to them (which wasn't working out yet), and already had some fission designs they were interested in, we did a swapsie. Naughty, naughty!

13. jonathan1

Should watch Spooks

Reminds me of Spooks. I'm sure in one of the episodes, Harry tells Tom after he starts having a fling with US agent "End it, you know there are no allies in this game."

Not saying its right, but echoing others here, its natural. Spying is what spy agencies do. Citizens, allies and corporates, everything is a potential threat. 'Threat' is broadly defined after all.

All this has done, is to illustrate (I'm was going to say prove) what a lot of people already asssume to be going on.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How could the French possibly be surprised?

It became publicly known for a fact (instead of just suspected by some and known for a fact by few) that the NSA was spying on Germany. Did they think "that's fine, they're just making sure Merkel isn't a secret Nazi, they'd never do that to us!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How could the French possibly be surprised?

Surely the fact that Merkel was East German and a member of the FDJ had NOTHING to do with that.

Those French presidents were no less suspect.

15. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

At least the Yanks don't spy on the UK. They subbed that to GCHQ.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like