back to article Do svidaniya to public record as Russia passes NEED to be forgotten bill

The lower house of the Russian‬ Parliament has given its approval to a new law which will resemble the European Union's controversial "Right to be Forgotten" legislation, but which critics have warned is stricter, arbitrary, and open to abuse. The bill, which was advanced earlier this month, requires search engines to remove " …

1. cs94njw
  2. ZSn

Unperson

Stalin would have loved this...

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The person in the picture is definitely not forgotten

That's Ezhov - the only person in the 1930-es CK with this height.

He definitely will not be forgotten. No law and no "index removal tools" can remove a name written into history using the blood of half a million people.

The law as it stands today is a "beefed up" version of the Eu directive without some of the checks. It will definitely be (ab)used to remove information about small crooks. Information about something on the scale of the example given here with this picture - I doubt it. That cannot be removed without removing people too. Lots of people. On the scale used by the character who gave Ezhov the orders (in the picture too).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The person in the picture is definitely not forgotten

removing people on a large scale in Russia can be arranged, if and when. And the world will say "oh, how awful", as they've done before.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Yeah, except for most Chinese people are completely unaware of Tienanmen Square, despite its happening within the lifetime of quite a large percentage of population... Never underestimate the power of blocking information.

1. Nigel 11

Actually, I'm pretty sure that educated Chinese are wilfully unaware. In the same way that most of the population of Nazi Germany was unaware of the fate of Jews "resettled in the East". It was a good idea for self-preservation to keep one's doubts to oneself.

4. Anonymous Blowhard

This law will not benefit anyone in Russia except Xxxxxxxx Xxxxx and his cronies!

5. Vordicae

>A previous vote on the bill saw it receive the support of 423 of 424 lawmakers. The bill requires one more vote, and then to be signed off by President Putin, to be passed into law

They tried to find the 424th person but all his information had been redacted from the internet.

6. Dave 15

Where we are heading

Wait for the first 'google didn't remove me quick enough' law suit and the EU law will become like this.

We have censorship here already, the Germans are now trying to restrict when certain books can be sold, the UK shut down website access all the time. The Russians are just a bit ahead of us. Just because the web could be a useful source of un-molested information doesn't mean that governments of any flavour will ever allow it. Those who think that digital books, news sources and cloud storage are a good idea forget how easy it is going to be to manipulate them and deny you access .. the ministry from 1984 will not have to do any 'real' work to rewrite history :)

For myself I buy books and paper ... and keep it, sure a fire could destroy all but I hope to get away with it for a bit longer than waiting for some arbitrary government manipulation of data.

1. Laura Kerr
      Pint

Re: Where we are heading

"For myself I buy books and paper"

Spot on. So do I. And whenever I find something useful on tinterwebz, I make damn sure I save it and keep multiple offline copies. Remember, who controls the past controls the future.

Have a pint and an upvote.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Where we are heading

Simple solution: save anything even slightly subversive to a Micro-SD card, infinitely easier to hide than a book (and easier to make copies and distribute). With even very simple compression, you can hide an entire library's worth of books behind a postage stamp. Digital information is also so much easier to copy and distribute, you can pop a card into a phone and transfer every piece of banned writing in a matter of a few minutes, or code up a simple P2P torrent like system over Bluetooth (like Fire Chat) and you can disseminate information to a whole city by just passing through it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like