back to article Ubuntu scaling up VM addressability

Canonical is taking a shot at dealing with virtual machine address scaling problems, and reckons it can do so without resorting to software-defined network approaches. The company reckons its scheme, The Fan, gives “any cloud user 250x the number of addresses they would normally have access to in a cloud environment”. The …

1. thondwe

IPv6

Is the world never going to give in and realize that IPv6 was designed to deal with this sort of problem??

Paul

1. M. B.

Re: IPv6

Such goodness, many IPs.

But there is still too much money to be made from engineering your way around the problem. It's easier to tack on features to extend the life of IPv4 than it is to migrate fully to IPv6 for too many companies.

I had a pleasant experience with a smaller provider though, walked in with a customers shiny new PA-500 and checked the config sheet they left for the customers WAN connection - IPv6! I think they have something like 4 million IPs to themselves now. Not bad for an office of 30.

2. Martin Saunders

Speedy Gonzales?

¡Overlay! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba!

3. Terafirma-NZ

not an overlay??

So they are doing header manipulation, you mean what GRE/STT/VxLAN/NVGRE/LISP does when building a tunnel. What they have come up with is the ability for the hypervisor to run a distribution protocol like BGP allowing them all to be aware of what IP's are used to terminate the tunnels at each end where current overlay tech uses central controllers pushing open-flow/OVSDB policy out with either a central or local (host side) path emulation used to build the openflow policy.

We already have enough overlay tech can't all these teams start to work on a common platform and advance it forward. I like the idea of distribution via BGP but that could be done with VxLAN as well then again openvswitch team building OVN is working on a solution to this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like