back to article Why hackers won't be able to hijack your next flight - the facts

Two seasoned pilots, one of whom is a published hacking expert, have been puncturing some of the myths about aircraft hacking at Defcon 22. Dr. Phil Polstra, professor of digital forensics at Bloomberg University (and a qualified commercial pilot and flight instructor) and "Captain Polly," professor of aviation at the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"almost always mechanical backup for critical ... components."

"While most aircraft these days used electronic systems for control there are almost always mechanical backup for critical and engine management components. "

Oh dear. This chap should pay a visit to Derby, England (or US equivalent) at some point and see how a modern passenger jet engine's fuel system is computer controlled with no mechanical backup. It's only been that way for around a couple of decades. Although the electronics is dual channel (one controlling, one backup), it's two channels of identical hardware running identical software. Dissimilar redundancy is presumably too expensive.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: AC Re: "almost always mechanical backup for critical ... components."

".....a modern passenger jet engine's fuel system is computer controlled with no mechanical backup...." They are talking about the flight instruments and the control interfaces, not back-end systems that are not connected to anything that can be hacked.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: AC "almost always mechanical backup for critical ... components."

"not back-end systems that are not connected to anything"

Where do you get the "not connected" idea? Modern passenger aircraft engine control systems frequently have the VLAN-like connectivity mentioned in the article (AFDX, ARINC664, etc).

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          FAIL

Re: AC Re: AC "almost always mechanical backup for critical ... components."

"Where do you get the "not connected" idea? Modern passenger aircraft engine control systems frequently have the VLAN-like connectivity mentioned in the article (AFDX, ARINC664, etc)." Yeah, that would be the interfaces the article mentioned as being very difficult to impossible to hack.....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: AC AC "almost always mechanical backup for critical ... components."

Matt said the critical engine control stuff I referred to wasn't connected via networks (even though the article said "control systems ... connected").

I pointed out that it was networked.

Matt said "it's not on a hackable network". I do hope so.

Meanwhile, I'm puzzled by the downvotes. Not fussed, just puzzled.

The facts are as previously stated. The typical modern passenger airline engine control system:

* is just as critical (maybe more???) than the flight computers. OK it's hard to usefully weaponise an engine control system in principle, except to kill the people on board.

* has no mechanical backup, and hasn't had for years.

* has network interfaces of various flavours. Hackable? Hopefully not. Reliable? Hopefully.

* does not use dissimilar redundancy, even if other critical systems do.

2. Vic

Re: "almost always mechanical backup for critical ... components."

Although the electronics is dual channel (one controlling, one backup), it's two channels of identical hardware running identical software.

This is frequently not the case; all the aircraft I've worked on have different types of CPU in the primary and secondary flight computers.

I've just read a presentation on Airbus fly-by-wire systems, and they use the same protocol.

Vic,

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"all the aircraft I've worked on have different types of CPU in the primary and secondary flight computers.

I've just read a presentation on Airbus fly-by-wire systems, and they use the same protocol."

Pointers welcome.

In three decades of working with safety critical engine control systems (with no mechanical backup - it's the lack of mechanical backup that makes them safety critical), and in a brief brush with Integrated Modular Avionics, I've read lots about dissimilar redundancy. I've never seen a real commercially deployed system that used it. Maybe I've led a sheltered life. I'm happy to believe it happens somewhere. Documented examples welcome.

1. Vic

In three decades of working with safety critical engine control systems

Flight computers aren't FADECs...

I've read lots about dissimilar redundancy. I've never seen a real commercially deployed system that used it.

I have first-hand experience of one of the Typhoon flight computers. Part of the spec was that it had to have a different CPU to the other type.

I'm happy to believe it happens somewhere. Documented examples welcome.

This document (PDF, takes a while to download) describes the A320 and A340 flight controllers. Section 3 covers the dissimilar hardware in each type of computer, as well as the dissimilar software in each channel of each computer - i.e. there are 4 separate developments by 4 separate teams. This is standard practice, IME.

Maybe I've led a sheltered life

'Fraid so...

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Thank you Vic, nice article. Nice policies+decisions from Aerospatiale too.

"Flight computers aren't FADECs..."

Quite. But I can't help wondering why the vaguely similar functional requirements (apart from environment, where a fllight computer has an easy life vs an engine-mounted FADEC), and the same engineering/regulatory/resilience requirements (DO178 level A in both cases?) lead to such architecturally different technical solutions in flight computer vs FADEC? Seen anything along those lines written up anywhere?

1. Vic

I can't help wondering why the vaguely similar functional requirements (apart from environment, where a fllight computer has an easy life vs an engine-mounted FADEC), and the same engineering/regulatory/resilience requirements (DO178 level A in both cases?) lead to such architecturally different technical solutions in flight computer vs FADEC?

Different consequences if they fail.

If the engine dies, it's a royal pain in the arse, but planes can and do land safely without power - it's one of the skills that must be demonstrated on the first attempt during the Skills Test. There are no second chances - cock it up and you fail.

My favourite story of an unpowered descent is the Gimli Glider. That aircraft was used for another 25 years after that incident.

Vic.

1. Vic

If the engine dies, it's a royal pain in the arse

I probably should have added, by way of contrast, "if you lose control of the flight surfaces, you're all dead".

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"if you lose control of the flight surfaces, you're all dead"

Except you're not, not always anyway. There are multiple incidents, none of which I can remember right now but which are doubtless in Wikipedia, where passenger aircraft have been steered largely or solely by means of adjusting engine thrust (more thrust = go up, differential L/R thrust for L/R steering).

"If the engine dies, it's a royal pain in the arse"

How much of a pain depends on various factors. There's ETOPS and all that. Of course ETOPS is not much good if you've lost all engines - but even that is survivable with the right kind of crew and the right kind of luck, the amazing Gimli Glider being one such story, but there are others e.g. involving flying through volcanic ash clouds and losing all engines (at least temporarily):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_flights_that_required_gliding

Wouldn't want to see either.

1. Vic

There are multiple incidents, none of which I can remember right now but which are doubtless in Wikipedia, where passenger aircraft have been steered largely or solely by means of adjusting engine thrust (more thrust = go up, differential L/R thrust for L/R steering).

No, I can't remember any such instances either. I suspect there's a reason for that.

Adjusting engine thrust will give you control over your glide angle, and some control over yaw (given multiple functioning engines), but essentially no control over roll or pitch[1]. So you might be able to choose the point at which you strike the runway, but not which part of the plane you do it with. Planes don't land well on the wingtip...

Feel free to post references to prove me wrong, but I doubt you'll find any.

Vic.

[1] Secondary effects give you some control over roll, but not enough to land the thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Me: "incidents ... where passenger aircraft have been steered largely or solely by means of adjusting engine thrust "

Vic: "Feel free to post references to prove me wrong, but I doubt you'll find any.."

Is there a prize? :) A virtual pint will do, cheers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_with_disabled_controls (multiple incidents, well referenced)

Sample:

Controls damaged by explosive device/weapons

Philippine Airlines Flight 434, a Boeing 747, on 11 December 1994. The hydraulics were damaged by a bomb in the passenger cabin.[11]

DHL shootdown incident in Baghdad on 22 November 2003. The Airbus A300 DHL aircraft, hit by a surface-to-air missile, was the first jet airliner to land safely without any hydraulics using only engine controls.[12]

Controls damaged by pilot error

Pan Am Flight 845, a Boeing 747, on 30 July 1971. When taking off from San Francisco International Airport, the plane struck the approach lighting system after taxiing onto a much too short runway. After the impact, the plane continued into the takeoff roll, though its fuselage, landing gear, and 3 out of 4 hydraulic systems were badly damaged. After making a full circle over the Pacific Ocean for an hour and 42 minutes and dumping fuel, the plane made a hard emergency landing at San Francisco, ending on its tail. All 218 passengers survived with just a few minor injuries.[13]

Not surprisingly, there are plenty other examples with less satisfactory outcomes. As there are with engine failures. Not every captain could do what Sullenberger did when his engines stopped working. He unavoidably flew into Canada Geese. Perhaps surprisingly, engines aren't (weren't?) designed to be resistant to birds the size of Canada Geese.

1. Vic

multiple incidents, well referenced

I'm genuinely surprised - one of those made it down. It did crash on the runway - but everyone got out OK.

The rest of those incidents were either partial loss of control - which we're all trained to deal with - or they crashed, killing people on board. Sometimes both.

Philippine Airlines Flight 434

Had autopilot to correct roll

Pan Am Flight 845

Still had hydraulic control.

The DHL flight is the unusual one, in that did make the runway in one piece. And that surprises me.

Vic.

1. RPF

Here's the other famous one with no hydraulics (and hence no primary flight controls):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232

After the incident, they trialled a similar occurrence with many, many crews in simulators, to see if they could come up with some kind of procedure to cope with this event again. All of them lost control and crashed spectacularly.

Only this and the DHL flight have ever made it. The key was getting the landing gear down; it improved stability through increased drag.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Attacker vs Attacker

"It might be feasible to send false messages to an aircraft's collision avoidance systems Polly said, but it would be very difficult to do effectively. An attacker would need to be travelling at nearly the same speed as an attacker to fool the aircraft for any appreciable time, the directional antennas used by commercial aircraft would make getting a bogus signal to the pilots difficult, and again they could always ignore it."

Say what?

Are we now vectoring our hack attacks THRU the the radar system?! Let's see, fly ahead of an airliner and squirt your dodgy data payload directly down the pipe. Yeah, that's the stuff!

1. SkippyBing

Re: Attacker vs Attacker

ACAS is not a radar, what they're talking about is spoofing the collision avoidance system to make the aircraft manoeuvre to avoid something that isn't there. To do that you'd have to transmit a series of transponder returns from a consistent position relative to the target aircraft.

It may be possible to hack the ACAS box, Google TCAS for an explanation of how it works, and I'm not sure how they're integrated into a modern airliner so their data is displayed on the flight displays. However it's perfectly possible to have it as a standalone box that only takes power from the aircraft.

1. RPF

Re: Attacker vs Attacker

It's TCAS, but you're broadly correct.

You won't have to be moving to do this, either, as ships have a similar system and can generate false returns in aircraft (although they're very rarely at the same level......).

3. el_oscuro
    WTF?

We don't need no stinkin' backups

"t has been suggested that a cunning hacker could use an aircraft's network to sabotage the flight instruments if the avionics are unavailable. This would be useless Polstra said, since all critical electronic instruments in the cockpit have a mechanical backup - although whether the pilots would remember how to use them was another matter he joked."

I deal with database backups - and restores - all of the time. In fact, I just performed a 200G restore on a critical production database yesterday as part of routine maintainance to move hot datafiles to faster storage. While it was routine, I used the exact same process I used for actual restore a few months ago. I exercise restores from my backups whenever possible. Building standby databases or cloning development environments, it doesn't matter. Pick any time in my career, I have restored from backups in some fashion within the last month or so, so I know I can do it if I need to.

The point is, unless you test your backups, they are useless. How do they know if these backup systems are working if you never use them? Aeroplanes are taken down for scheduled maintanance all of the time. Why shouldn't that maintanance include a test flight in which the pilots use only the backup systems? Remember to test your backups - and their operators - often.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: We don't need no stinkin' backups

> Why shouldn't that maintanance include a test flight

Because it's dangerous to the crew, plane, and anything the plane might crash into. I sure as hell wouldn't fly anything that has had the primary flight controls intentionally turned off.

The flight crew practice the emergency procedures in the massive simulators the airlines use on a regular basis, and part of the maintenance is testing and exercising backup systems.

You're not going to test an ejection seat in a fighter by hopping in and pulling the loud handle. I don't test the ABS on my motorcycle by screaming down the road at 60mph and trying to lock up the brakes, I test it by attaching a laptop (or clipping in a diagnostics jumper) and seeing if all the valves and calipers behave properly.

1. hardboiledphil

You should test your ABS on the road partly so you know it works but more importantly that YOU know how it feels on the bike when it does work. On cars most drivers will lift off the pedal once they feel it pulsing (ABS working) when really they should just keep their foot pressed down hard and just worry about steering. Having not ridden a bike with it the first thing I'd want to know is what it felt like when it was doing its job.

1. Daniel B.
          Boffin

You should test your ABS on the road partly so you know it works but more importantly that YOU know how it feels on the bike when it does work.

I'd be VERY wary of testing motorcycle ABS brakes like that, because they're far more critical in a bike than they are in a car. Having your wheels lock up (ABS ain't working) on a car results in smokey tyre rubber burning and pretty much that. Having the back wheel lock up leads to slipping and horrible snaking; having the front wheel lock up usually results in what we call a highside. It usually involves the rider being catapulted in front and serious injury… really, really nasty. Oh wait … you can also trigger a highsider if the back wheel locks up as well. So basically, no. Do not go around testing motorcycle ABS systems. Do not depend on them working properly either. Test them with OBD if you have to, but never, ever do that live.

2. MrXavia

"> Why shouldn't that maintenance include a test flight

Because it's dangerous to the crew, plane, and anything the plane might crash into. I sure as hell wouldn't fly anything that has had the primary flight controls intentionally turned off."

Well if you have two channels, i.e. a redundant system, why cant it be as simple as flicking a switch from primary to secondary systems? then if they fail, flip back to primary....

I don't see why the secondary systems should be any less critical than primary..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" if you have two channels, i.e. a redundant system, why cant it be as simple as flicking a switch from primary to secondary systems? then if they fail, flip back to primary....

I don't see why the secondary systems should be any less critical than primary.."

Fancy a job in the industry?

That's pretty much what the Birmingham-designed and built engine controls made by the former Lucas Aerospace Engine Electronics (now a Rolls Royce subsidiary) have been doing for the last couple of decades. Two systems, and each startup a given system automatically alternates between primary and secondary, thereby minimising the risk of latent faults.

Additionally, during cold startup on the ground, use a few seconds to drive (and observe) some of the outputs at a time when you can safely abuse them without anybody noticing any disruption.

Really, this is an aspect that has had a bit of thought over the years. Doesn't mean there's not still room for improvement, but...

2. dan1980

I know a few people who work on planes. The system are tested. Rigorously. And the pilots train in the use of those systems via (expensive) simulators.

I appreciate the parallel you are trying to draw but what you are asking them to do is to deliberately force the system into a simulated failure during normal operation where there is nothing wrong. That's not quite the same as what you are doing and I suspect that if you suggested that to your boss then he/she might (legitimately) ask why you can't do the test on the expensive test system you pushed through in last year's budget for exactly this purpose.

It would be important to note that a failure of the primary systems would likely warrant - as a matter of procedure - an emergency landing. Not 'ohgodohgodohgod' type emergency, but as a matter of prudence, I am pretty sure you aren't supposed fly without a backup system and so if the main system is lost in-flight I would expect that the plane would request diversion to a closer airport, possibly requiring dumping of fuel.

You certainly couldn't do that just as a test!

My point is that you should test your systems as thoroughly as possible and in as close to real conditions as possible. BUT, 99/100 that's just not possible so you have to test things in part and bring them together, including simulations.

The simple fact is that it works because air travel is very, very safe. The most fallible part is the meat, which is why there's always backup meat as well.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The point is, unless you test your backups, they are useless. How do they know if these backup systems are working if you never use them?"

Excellent question.

The engine control systems I used to work with had pretty much two of everything, albeit all within one box - duplicated critical inputs and outputs, and duplicated electronics; call it System A and System B.

There was no permanent designated dedicated "backup" system as such. The system in control was alternated between flights, System A (and its inputs and outputs) for one flight then System B for the next,so that problems specifically couldn't lie hidden for long periods in between maintenance.

There is some logic in some of this stuff :)

4. Vic

How do they know if these backup systems are working if you never use them?

You do use them.

Two of the aircraft I fly have a "glass cockpit" system - the flying displays are big LCD screens, showing all the flight instrumentation and navigation systems.

The backups are mechanical instruments alongside the displays - and you *do* use them all the time. In fact, I rarely look at the airspeed indicator on the LCD, because I prefer to use the mechanical one (it's less laggy)

These backups aren't something that sit unused in a cupboard; they're in front of your face every time you fly.

Vic.

5. Jeffrey Nonken
      Headmaster

"I deal with database backups - and restores - all of the time." ... "The point is, unless you test your backups, they are useless. How do they know if these backup systems are working if you never use them?"

Airplane backup systems aren't like the systems you're used to in that they're constantly running in parallel. These aren't offline backups; they're a separate set of instruments that are working at the same time as the computerized versions. A glance will tell you if the standby instruments are operational, and standard pre-flight checks also require they all be working.

4. frank ly

Faster than a speeding data block

"In all cases the signals sent are time-sliced to ensure controls respond instantly ... "

No, they respond within a defined and acceptable time delay, by design.

5. aberglas

But what upgrades the software?

All this fly by wire software gets patched just like anything else. Ultimately there is a computer that interacts with the internet, even if indirectly. Even if that is only in offices of the people that write the software. Air gaps are not enough -- Stuxnet crossed one easily.

As to misleading the pilot, in normal weather the pilot looks out the window which would prevent much happening (unless they fly for Asiana!). But in bad weather at night, the instruments are king. That said, there are rather a lot of them which would need to be overridden. GPS, VOR, Dead Reckoning ...

But still, best to get at the primary flight controls themselves. There is no mechanical backup for Airbuses for some time. Nor I believe the 777.

1. Vic

Re: But what upgrades the software?

There is no mechanical backup for Airbuses for some time. Nor I believe the 777.

There is certainly a mechanical backup on the 777. I'd have to look up the Airbus.

Vic.

1. Dave Horn

Re: But what upgrades the software?

The A320 does indeed have mechanical backup but only for the rudder and horizontal stabilizer. It's designed to allow stable flight during a complete electrical loss or simultaneous failure of all five flight control computers.

In reality, this situation is so spectacularly unlikely it's a largely pointless enterprise and has been ditched on the newer Airbus models.

The A320 will fly perfectly happily and land safely with just one computer functional.

6. Charles Manning

Wot about ILS?

ILS is unencrypted. Heck, it's not even digital.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

You've been watching Die Harder again, haven't you ?

2. Vic

Re: Wot about ILS?

ILS is unencrypted. Heck, it's not even digital.

So?

Try to work out a practical hack for ILS. Just adding more transmitters isn't going to bring aircraft down - it's just going to piss off the first two pilots who have to execute a missed approach.

As soon as the difficulty is discovered - even if no-one knows why it's gone wrong - ILS will be marked as inoperative, and every single incoming aircraft will be told this. The pilot will need to say that it is inoperative as part of his read-back to ATSU.

ILS is an aid to navigation, it's not the only way of bringing an aircraft in. Should the visibilty be so poor that the airfield is effectively unusable without ILS, incoming aircraft will be diverted. They *do* have enough fuel for that - it's part of the flight plan.

Vic.

3. SkippyBing

Heck, it's not even digital

And yet it works, it's as if you don't need a series of 1s and 0s in the real world...

7. Anonymous Dutch Coward

Collision avoidance system

The suggestion in the article that pilots may ignore the collision avoidance system blaring sounds like a potentially suicidal thing to do and I really have doubts that is the case.

Why not execute (say - I don't know the exact procedures) a diving turn to the right just to be sure?

Apart from that: nice to hear something fairly optimistic coming out of Defcon...

1. SkippyBing

Re: Collision avoidance system

From my understanding of how the ACAS/TCAS systems work it wouldn't really matter if you obeyed a false alarm as all it will have told you to do is make a climb or descent to avoid an aircraft that isn't there. The descent advisory is suppressed below a certain altitude above ground level as well so it won't order you into the ground.

You might, might, be able to confues the box as to which aircraft should climb and which should descend, which is based on serial number I think, but that means you'd have to be willing to sacrifice your spoofing platform, and get it in the right place to ensure a TCAS resolution advisory gets triggered agains your target aircraft. Which is the kind of non-trivial problem that makes air defence systems so expensive.

8. Bob Wheeler

Step back and thnk about this.

When the Boeings/Airbuses of the world design/upgrade a aircraft one of their over-riding goals is "let’s not make an aircraft that falls out of the sky". So their go to great lengths in the design/specification/building of the aircraft so ensure as far as possible, and then some, that this all the passengers arrive alive.

If you look back in history of the DH Comet the design flaw in the shape of the windows led to a number of fatal crashes from hull/metal fatigue. The point being that DH never recovered from this, in any meaningful way as the manufacture of commercial airliners.

How many aircraft have been lost due to a design flaw over the last 10, 20, 30, 40 years?

Can they make things better, sure they can.

Should they be complacent with security/resilience of the 'fly-by-wire' etc, coupled with advent of powerful table/phones on the plane, and high end equipment on the ground with high speed communications, in the hands of folks that may not think kindly of others. Absolutely not.

Are the airline designers complacent? I very much doubt it. They have too much to lose.

1. DropBear

Re: Step back and thnk about this.

In theory you're right, but then again I have a hunch the NASA / Thiokol people weren't feeling particularly complacent either...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Are the airline designers complacent? I very much doubt it. They have too much to lose."

You'd have been right a decade ago.

Are you still right?

Has it not occured to you that the Dreamliner may be about to prove that the MBAs and the outsourcing experts and the believers in unverified self-certification may have been allowed too much room to override engineering best practice? It's a thought that has occurred to many people in the industry, and some well known names outside.

"Richard Feynman's famous conclusion to his report on the shuttle Challenger accident, which arose again in the Columbia accident, is "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." "

See also: Charles Haddon-Cave (Nimrod inquiry etc).

1. Bob Wheeler

@ AC.

On reflection I do think I put forward an 'optimistic' view, or perhaps it is a veiw of what I hoped to be the case rather than what is.

i've started to the read the Charles Haddon-Cave (Nimrod inquiry), but as it's some 587 pages long it may take some time! However so far, it is a surpising easy read for a non (aircraft) techie.

I've always worried why the Nimrod (based on the Comet 4) was kept in servie so such a long time, but I surpose that is more a question around MOD purchasing/specifications and the almighty mess that is.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I've always worried why the Nimrod (based on the Comet 4) was kept in servie so such a long time,"

It worked and it had spectacular endurance (engines in the wing meant that when on station 3 of the 4 could be switched off, dropping fuel consuumption dramatically.) Try that on a podded engine and you'll find yourself flying in a corkscrew pattern thanks to the drag of windmilling fans.

A bunch of the other stuff on them was shite and dangerous, but all the other aircraft were "Not Invented Here", so jingoism ensured Nimrods kept going. (Not that Rivet Joint birds are any better. The design is older than the Nimrod)

Military aircraft are more about projecting national prestige than fitness for purpose.

1. SkippyBing

'Try that on a podded engine and you'll find yourself flying in a corkscrew pattern thanks to the drag of windmilling fans'

So you're saying a windmilling engine inside the wing won't cause drag? Because I'd like to know how that magic works.

Of course if the podded engine is a higher bypass ratio then it may cause more drag, but then it's more fuel efficient when running and it wouldn't fit inside the wing anyway. It also allows you to build a lighter wing structure as the mass of the engine counters the aerodynamic twisting loads, whereas an integral engine doesn't.

Rivet Joint has the slight advantage that there are a few hundred of the basic airframe in service, vs the 20 max for the Nimrod. It makes getting parts easier.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"i've started to the read the Charles Haddon-Cave (Nimrod inquiry), but as it's some 587 pages long it may take some time! However so far, it is a surpising easy read for a non (aircraft) techie."

Thank you.

More people should have the opportunity to hear what he has to say. Most of it is technology-independent (he is not a technology person, he is a lawyer). Here's a pointer to a much shorter version (one hour, twenty pages) containing the important technology-independent details.

Last year, the oil industry marked the 25th anniversary of the Piper Alpha disaster with, among other things, a conference on some of the lessons learned. Haddon-Cave had an hour long session on "Leadership and Culture, Principles and Professionalism, Simplicity and Safety - Lessons from the Nimrod Review". There's very little on technology, a lot on organisational management and culture.

There's a 20page PDF of the script (including the tiny handful of slides). You can also watch a video if you wish but it's pretty close to the PDF. Find it here:

http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/events/Piper25/Presentations.cfm

and

http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/templates/asset-relay.cfm?frmAssetFileID=3317

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y99_lhFFCsk (treat it as radio with a few pictures)

Once you've had a look/listen, see which of the problems he describes are present in organisations which you know. Then wonder where they will lead those organisations, and what (if anything) can be done about them, and who can do it.

3. SkippyBing

'I've always worried why the Nimrod (based on the Comet 4) was kept in servie so such a long time, but I surpose that is more a question around MOD purchasing/specifications and the almighty mess that is'

Probably for similar reasons to the Nimrod MRA4 program having its name changed from Nimrod 2000 when it became readily apparant BAe Systems were never going to make the original delivery date. It's almost as if they lied to get the contract...

2. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge
        Flame

It is rather telling that there seems to be a mistake on the lithium batteries on those, a mistake that I wouldn't have made since I know more than nothing at all about lithium batteries, unlike whoever got it wrong enough that they keep catching fire.

Or perhaps some clever hacker has worked out that if he spins up all the drives at the same time it overheats the battery in the in-flight entertainment system?

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Re: Bob Wheeler Re: Step back and thnk about this.

Agree with the majority of your post except the bit about the de Havilland Comet, where the fault was an unverified production process change, not a design issue. The square windows and door apertures on the Comet's fuselage had been designed to be bonded with glue in the same manner as had been proven with the wooden Mosquito. But, in the politicised rush to get the aircraft into service, the production line switched to using rivets instead of gluing around the windows, doors, and several other apertures without checking with the design team. Although the square shape of the windows generated concentrated stress points, if they had of been glued it would not have been an issue. As it was, the first three Comets were lost due to pilot error, and the fourth (G-ALYP, the first production airframe) was lost due to structural failure caused by tears originating from the rivets around the aperture for the ADF. The resulting bad publicity (amplified by competing American manufacturers) killed the Comet as a commercial airliner, though it went on to have an excellent service career as a military aircraft.

4. RichUK

"How many aircraft have been lost due to a design flaw over the last 10, 20, 30, 40 years?" - DC10 cargo doors. All 346 people on board Turkish Airlines Flight 981 were killed when the cargo door blew out over France in 1974. It was a known design problem (the door could be left partially unlocked without it being obvious rendering it liable to blow open in flight, with subsequent floor collapse severing control lines). OK this is slightly more than 40 years ago but unfortunately design weakness can and do happen - it's not necessarily poor design, sometimes the implications of a design don't become apparent until heavy use. Hopefully they mostly get spotted and corrected or procedures put in place to avoid them causing an incident. Though speaking of procedures 273 lives were lost in a further DC10 crash in 1979 caused by removing the engine and supporting pylon as a unit, to save time, against the manufacturers recommendations (for which American Airlines were fined $500k, but they weren't the only airline doing it).

Someone queried whether aircraft were allowed to fly without primary instruments working; I'm sure somebody in the industry can advise on this but a few years ago my holiday return flight was postponed because the captain's side primary engine display was inoperative; apparently to fly without it was against company policy. An engineer was to be flown out to fix it. After several hours wondering what overnight accomdation was going to be provided the captain appeared and informed us he'd persuaded the company that, as the right-hand instrument plus the backup were both working, it would be perfectly safe, and we duly took off the same night. I think the captain must have had a hot date ;-)

5. RPF

Here's one that failed as a direct result of a design flaw:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

Incredibly rare for mechanical failures to occur these days, thankfully.

However, design flaws can be subtle and indirectly lead to losses, particularly flaws in relation to auto flight/autothrottle.

(Asiana, Air Inter, Air France 400 all come to mind....)

9. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

So, the hackers can't take "complete" control of the aircraft.

Okay then.

10. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

"Polstra said...the human factor remains the hardest for a hacker to overcome."

And how many times have sophisticated technologies been defeated by conning the human into bypassing or ignoring the computer? It's such a well known engineering discipline we have a term for it. I would hope the pilot is a cut above the average call centre worker, but...

1. SkippyBing

In this case I don't think they're talking about the human factor in terms of gaining access to the computer, I think they mean in overcoming what happens next. E.g. the computer may be hacked so the flight plan takes you to the wrong place but the humans should notice that and question it. Of course that depends on the quality of human being employed, I think Ryan Air try and beat out any tendency for the pilot to think for themselves at an early stage in case it costs money.

11. Nick Ryan Silver badge

The communication system sounds similar to CAN-BUS

The communication system sounds similar to CAN-BUS - a relatively sane system designed to operate in (signal) noisy environments, originally automotive but now a lot of industrial. Similarly you have only have one active "sender" on the network, devices are communicated with using a time-sliced / QoS communications scheme and much of the communications is uni-directional, including asynchronous, synchronous or watchdog communications. Devices (nodes) can be configured to communicate with each other automatically and nodes can be configured to only publish the very limited interfaces that you want or need to publish. Restricting such communications to very clearly defined, tight interfaces makes the things very hard to hack and this is true of any communications system between devices or systems.

(I spent a few years working with CAN-Open, which is effectively the same as CAN and very similar to many other industrial or signal-noisy control systems.)

1. DropBear
      WTF?

Re: The communication system sounds similar to CAN-BUS

Similarly you have only have one active "sender" on the network...

Beg pardon - CAN itself says nothing about "one" sender - anybody can talk at any damn time they wish to any number of other nodes, and there's certainly no such thing as "directionality" about the bus - all the spec promises is that the message with the highest priority gets through and the rest back down, and that every listening node receives a message correctly (hopefully*); various flavours of CAN take this in various arbitrary directions, but that's up to the specific higher level chosen.

*actually there's no such guarantee seeing as how any node might be "error passive" or "bus off" at any given time.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: The communication system sounds similar to CAN-BUS

I was keeping with the terminology in use in other posts (which wasn't especially a good idea), but you are correct - there are many senders. There is only one active "master" allowed though.

12. raster

"Firstly, no commercial airliner's avionics systems can be accessed from from either the entertainment system or in-flight Wi-Fi. Avionics systems are also never wireless, but always wired, and don't even use standard TCP/IP to communicate."

It's a fine line on some Boeing aircraft where entertainment and avionics are now allowed to share the same network infrastructure...

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2014/06/06/2014-13244/special-conditions-the-boeing-company-models-737-700--700c--800--900er--7--8-and--9-series-airplanes

Also commentary at: https://isc.sans.edu/diary/Help+your+pilot+fly%21/18241

1. RPF

I agree. There is a direct link that I can think of:

The in-flight moving map for the passengers takes the arrival time from the Flight-Management Computers in the cockpit, no question.

I sure hope that's a one-way connection.....

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's not all

The real issue is with the Virgin flights, any trans-atlantic airliner in the Virgin fleet.

They have the on-board entertainment console in the back of each seat, and on it are a variety of entertainment choices, TV, radio stations, games, etc.

One of those games is Battleships.

You can play this game with any other passenger on the flight in any seat.

It nearly started a fight last time I flew after I beat all contenders having shouted: "Who wants a game of Battleships?" across the main passenger cabin.

That's what we really have to watch out for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon