back to article Mum fails to nuke killer spider nest from orbit

A shaken British mother has recounted how she and her family narrowly escaped death at the fangs of the feared South American eight-legged death machine which is the Brazilian wandering spider. Mum-of-four Laura Horsfield, 31, bought a bunch of bananas from a Tesco in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, on the perfectly reasonable …

1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

She could always have taken the offending banana and throne it in the freezer....

That would have done the job. Could probably use the defrosted banana for banana bread too.

Does Britain fumigate bananas and other produce before they are sold? I worked in a grocery store during college, and we found dead tarantulas in the banana boxes occasionally, but they had died because the bananas were fumigated once they entered the U.S.

1. Chris Miller

Cool

You mean an ice throne like the one in Narnia?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Re: Cool

Mispelling on my part, but I'm sure the White Witch had a couple ice spiders scurrying around...

2. Adam 1

Re: She could always have taken the offending banana and throne it in the freezer....

I, for one, welcome our new eight legged banana munching overlords.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: She could always have taken the offending banana and throne it in the freezer....

> the bananas were fumigated once they entered the U.S.

In the early nineties, National Geographic reported that one of it's own New York-based staffers had discovered a new species of spider. It too had hitched a ride to New York on some fruit.

Perhaps not all U.S-bound fruit was fumigated then.

A friend of my family's was off work for months after being bitten by a spider at her workplace in England. She was working in the fruit and veg department of a supermarket. Its bite did her leg some serious damage.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Does Britain fumigate bananas and other produce before they are sold?

Probably not. Most bananas sold in Europe come from the French overseas departments such as Martinique and Guadaloupe. Since these are "départements outre mer" (DOM) they are officially part of France, and hence are in the EU. Such bananas may not be considered as imports under EU free trade rules. It's bananas, all right.

5. Benchops

She needs a bird next.

Then a cat...

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My mom told me when she was a kid in rural Kansas, they'd have entire stalks of bananas delivered to the general store. It wasn't uncommon to find a tarantula hiding somewhere in there, when they did they'd put it on display in the front window under a bell jar.

7. noominy.noom

I've never heard of anybody fumigating bananas or any other fruit/veg here in the states. Many grocers often do gas the bananas with ethylene gas to get them to the desired ripeness. And tomatoes.

8. Mark 65

I'd have just taken it back to Tesco. Let them deal with it.

9. Triggerfish

Stories from dockers working at Tilbury unloading banana boats would say probably not. They used to tell me how they would all line up near the doors and open them to a warehouse full of bananas with an army of large spiders running for freedom, which they would all then proceed to hit with bits of wood.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which as we all know is the only way to be sure

Only one way to dispose of spiders, magnifying glass. Although in Cleckheaton that might take some time.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Which as we all know is the only way to be sure

Is that because of the lack of a magnifying glass or a lack of Sun?

I'm sure the readers would like to know which one you think it is?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

Clearly you've never been to Cleckheaton .... it's grim up north, don'tcherknow (and I ain't kidding - here in the Vale of York it's more like bloody November than June at the moment)

I, for one, welcome our venomous, bananaphilic arachnid overlords.

(fire, and lots of it ... it's the only thing that works)

1. msknight

Wot?! No nailguns?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Vale of York? What about here in the Pennines? It's still like November but our November makes VoY look balmy.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Which as we all know is the only way to be sure @Steve Davies 3

>which one you think it is?

Having been born and raised within spitting distance of Cleckheaton I don't think, I know which it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

Re: Which as we all know is the only way to be sure @Steve Davies 3

Given normal British weather, I guess that means grabbing a magnifying glass and brutally beating the spider with it. :)

3. Tim Roberts 1

I wonder if Laura is also known as Ida (sorry)

A west Yorkshire lass name of Ida

was terrible 'fraid of the spider

in the 'nanas some seen

made miss Ida scream

at the thought of a spider inside 'er

4. D@v3

Burn them....

Burn them with fire

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: Burn them....

"Burn them with fire"

as opposed to an ice throne?

1. Tom 7

Re: Burn them....

with methane hydrate to cover all options.

5. Frank Bough

Go to work on them with blowtorch and pliers in the time honoured way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Must schedule in a re-watch in the near future

I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' ********, who'll go to work on the tiny spider egg sack here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', spiders? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Boffin

The canonical discussion on the Brazillian Wandering Spider

is the Oatmeal's... http://theoatmeal.com/blog/jibbers_crabst

Watch the signing translator.

7. Adam 1

That is the second worst thing I have read about spiders today!

Context: from down under

(and in case you are curious)

8. Cheese
    Unhappy

Gene pool

...and she has passed on her genes at least four times!

9. chivo243 Silver badge
    Happy

Nuke from Orbit

No matter how this phrase is used, it makes me smile.

10. TitterYeNot
    Coat

Mum fails to nuke killer spider nest from orbit

Does the silly bint know nothing? Does she not realise that the only way to get rid of crawly things that hatch from pods nests is drop 'em into a furnace or throw the things out the nearest bleedin' air lock!

11. Little Mouse
    Coffee/keyboard

Awesome

Fantastic article - reminded me of some of the old Viz "news" articles (back when it was funny of course)

"imagine [if] it had gone to school with him!". That's my Quote of the Week, right there.

12. Azrael316

Really? The WERE Brazillian Wandering Spiders were they??

"I didn't know what they were"...

And no independent authority seems ot have verified that they were?

Yet another case of "Domestic Spiders mistaken for much deadlier cousins" here I think..

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Holmes

Re: Really? The WERE Brazillian Wandering Spiders were they??

If you'll check the linked article:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/mother-attacks-worlds-most-venomous-5927056

You'll notice the spiders were identified by none other than the distinguished entomologist Chris Tosney, in reply to the frantic mum's Facebook post.

13. jonathan keith

Daily Fail

You forgot to mention the illegal immigrant angle!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Daily Fail

Bloody foreign spiders, coming over here on our bananas etc.etc.

14. Peter Simpson 1
    WTF?

I couldn't help but notice

The photos in the linked article showed a white fuzzy patch (presumably the former home of the offending arachnid) which looked remarkably un-stepped-on.

Bananas usually look a lot more worse-for-wear than the example in the photos after being stepped on.

1. Toltec

Re: I couldn't help but notice

"after being stepped on."

Mother of four sues supermarket after slipping on banana carrying death spider.

15. Dan Paul

We'll be happy to...

send you some brown recluse spiders if you like. Too small to be seen well, easy to roll over on in bed, range covers the whole Northeast USA and quite deadly venom if the necrotizing fasciitis doesn't get you first.

16. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

Why not just throw them in the microwave and nuke them? You don't need a box, and it gives you an excuse to buy a new microwave because the smell of burnt arachnoid & banana pie won't shift

17. earl grey
    Trollface

sharks with lasers

Might as well cook them up proper!

18. This post has been deleted by its author

19. VeganVegan
    Thumb Up

One happy note?

Went looking for more info about the spider:

Wikipedia claims that its venom can cause priapism, and is being investigated for use against erectile dysfunction.

20. carrera4life
    Mushroom

A Porsche spider (sic)

There used to be an independent garage close to me that imported various old Porsches from California. Fairly often they included spiders. Which type you ask ....black widows.....fun finding them all....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon