back to article .Free domains at Amazon while Google says bye to .family

The latest wave of auctions for new internet extensions has produced some interesting results. Google took part in each of the six top-level domains available to the highest bidder, but won just one - dot-PhD - leaving behind dot-free and, surprisingly, dot-tube (although it does own the rights to register domains under . …

1. Martin-73 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Hmm anyone wanna start a kickstarter for .wtf and .getmeofftheplanetnow?

Seriously, this is ridiculous.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Hmm anyone wanna start a kickstarter for .wtf and .getmeofftheplanetnow?

I have to agree. Some TLD's you can see a sense in, things like .scot, .london even. But a lot of the TLD's we have now is just utterly stupid. Who, unless you're either Findus or Tesco, would want .horse?

1. CraPo
        Coat

Father Ted

mylovely.horse

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Which could link to an advert campaign:

I'll take you to the horse.dentist

2. Hellcat

Something for the Weeble fan?

look@my.horse (My horse is amazing)

3. 20legend

Yes, because there's no money to be had from any other horse related business like racing, breeding, stabling or riding & tack, is there?

2. PleebSmash

.FYI - The new .info!

Chocolate Factory doesn't need .tube. It already has the youtu.be domain for URL shortening

3. Paul Kinsler

Google has .phd??

Frankly, the only .phd domain thingy I might want is in a subdomain of the institution that awarded me the damn thing; even if just as an email redirection. Then you all could work out for yourselves whether or not you thought my phd might be worth anything. But Google? What have they got to do with it?

Consequently, I expect every university to sign up for institution.phd in short order.

1. PleebSmash

Re: Google has .phd??

Maybe they'll tie it into their Gmail for academic institutions product. Join up, get .phd

4. Craig 2

Really?? They're just picking random words out of the dictionary now!

5. The Nazz

Seriously, every loser wins?

"The proceeds are split between every losing bidder?"

Right, i'm off to bid $1 on every auction i can find, get me a share of the stupid millions being paid out.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Seriously, every loser wins?

Glad that I'm not the only one to have read it that way.

6. Ian Court

Finding it difficult

to give a shit about these ridiculous new domains.

1. frank ly

Re: Finding it difficult

What about .shit? (ian,court@tough.shit would be cool, no?)

1. Peter Stone
        Happy

Re: Finding it difficult

I think I'd prefer .estmerde as a suitable TLD

7. launcap Silver badge
    Stop

Mothers day..

TAHH!

(Yet another Halmark Holiday - yes, yes, I know there is some antiquated Catholic celebration called Mothering Sunday but that has virtually nothing to do with Mothers Day other than having been co-opted in a vaguely amusing reverse of the traditional process of assimilation..)

8. Chairo

Only one use

for the new domains - to squeeze out money from companies that now have to register for new domains in addition to the .com .co.uk or ."whatever country they do business in".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like