back to article Post Office launches mobe service for aged greybeards

The Post Office has launched its own mobile phone service. The organisation plays hard on the value for money that its new pre-pay tariffs offer, but in practice the market is so competitive it’s hard to make that stand up. While the headline prices are cheaper, many rivals – notably Tesco Mobile – offer top-up bonuses, which …

1. Chairo

TV remotes won't make calls?

Given that lately more and more gear has no remote control any more and relies on some dodgy app and the "cloud" to work, greybeards might well need some kind of smartphone, as it might be the only way to switch channels on their new "smart" TV.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: TV remotes won't make calls?

Oi!

I have a little rack to bung remotes in to.

It's the youngster that abandon remotes to the stygian depths of the sofa.

1. Jean Le PHARMACIEN
        Coat

Do you think I could get Charon to help me find said remote in those depths or would he just take the money and leave me stranded?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Upvotes for both of you for classical references.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Elmer Phud

Still not sure it's worth it.

I tend to use texts more than anything else apart from when I can slurp some wireless.

As an old bugger my habits are not that of permanent connection - apart from at home.

The phone gets used more for the calendar, memos, clock functions, noise level meter, signal generator, frequency analyser and others -- a box of toys that fits in my pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Compare that cost to the USA

It's funny (in the sense that it's not funny at all) as I was just checking my ATT mobile bill in the US for usage and cost.

My plan gives me 450 minutes, "unlimited data' which actually means up to 5GB, and 2000 texts. So in the UK I'd be paying maybe £25 / month. My bill is $94.99 plus various bogus taxes and charges which add to a grand total of $113. So with today's exchange rate that is about 3X the price.

Oh, and I'm off contract with device long paid for.

3. John Robson Silver badge

More importantly - does it expire?

'cos if it does it's not prepay, it's just a rolling flexible contract.

4. Sporkinum

US is expensive for cellular

I have one of the cheapest prepaid plans available in the US, and I pay $5 a month for 300 minutes, 500 texts, and 100 MB, with 2 cents each for additional minutes, texts, MB.

3. Scott 53
    Headmaster

Aged greybeards

Are there any young greybeards around? Even Alistair Darling was dark from the forehead down.

4. MJI Silver badge

Post office sales techniques

I was asked if I wanted Post Office broadband.

I answered along the lines of

"That is all OK I am already with you with BT Infinity." And walked off.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Pensions?

Do they still pay out pensions at the Post Office. AFAICR pension book printing stopped years ago (used to be one of my clients that printed them).

1. Richard_L

Re: Pensions?

Not as such - I think the state pension only goes direct to your bank account now, although the Post Office does offer a pretend account specifically to receive pensions and benefits to those who are unable to obtain a proper bank account.

That said, I think old habits die hard. Round here, at least, Thursday's the day when the oldsters descend en-masse upon the local post office with the sole aim of withdrawing cash and get struck down by a contagious amnesia rendering them unable to find their debit cards, locate the slot in the counter-top chip-and-pin machines or remember their PINs.

They then have to spend the next 48 hours at home, slowly recovering from the trauma of using using modern technology to withdraw money. This lengthy recuperation results in their weekly trip to the local supermarket to spend their cash being delayed until Saturday morning...

"Ooh, this is terrible - I don't not never seen Sainsbury's so busy. It were never this crowded last Saturday..."

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Pensions?

"They then have to spend the next 48 hours at home, slowly recovering from the trauma of using using modern technology to withdraw money."

Don't worry, they'll all be dead soon. The next generation of pensioners will be whinging about how back in their day computers had "proper blinkenlights" and why won't the punched card fit in the card reader?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like