back to article Reg scribe feels disturbance in the force at secret Empire Strikes Back screening

Last week, I was transported to a galaxy far, far away (well OK, Sarf London) to barter with Jawas. Life’s hard when you’re a Jedi kitted out in eBay's finest robes, especially after a night drinking Spice Smugglers at the Mos Eisley Cantina. Secret Cinema started back in 2007 with an idea nicked straight from the cult classic …

1. Simon Rockman

I'm booked for July 8th. I can't wait.

2. nematoad
    Thumb Down

"Tickets are priced at £75 and are available here."

And at that price that's where they will stay as far as I'm concerned.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

mmm...

... and given the crowds of attendees hanging around my local tube station (in secret? :-)) at about 6pm several days a week, someone must be making a fair wedge.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: mmm...

"someone must be making a fair wedge."

Would that be the same Wedge who needs to get clear, because he can't do any more good back there?

3. Buzzword

£80 actually

£75 plus booking fee, so £80.50 for one person or £79.25 per head for a couple. That kind of money would buy you a lot of tickets to far more original events.

1. Detective Emil

Re: £80 actually

You might want to look at the prices for reasonably good seats at a London musical. £75 plus booking fee is around what you can expect to pay. (Not that that's not eye-watering…) I'll bet the bar prices are comparable too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: £80 actually

Welcome to austerity!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected.

but not from booking fee's

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Wait. What? Animation lecturer?

Day job? Some people have all the luck. *sigh*

6. CAPS LOCK

I'm guessing that I'm expected to either know what Secret Cinema is....

... or Google it, because there's f all explanation in the article.

Clique much?

1. Stuart Moore
      Devil

Re: I'm guessing that I'm expected to either know what Secret Cinema is....

Or read the article and infer from what's there. Or get on with your life without posting silly comments.

7. Bleu

If photos are strictly

banned, where did you come by the one with the stormtrooper and, apparently, other viewers or participants?

Also, it is 'loath' not 'loathe' where you have incorrectly used the latter.

Did the reg fork out the £75?

Cor blimey, quite the gig, guv, innit?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If photos are strictly

If photos are strictly banned, where did you come by the one with the stormtrooper and, apparently, other viewers or participants?

.. as a sample of the rest. Here's a simple, all summarising answer: it's not exactly uncommon for events/companies/whatever to invite journalists (the implication is that entrance may be free for the journo in question). Provided they ensure editorial independence (i.e. being able to call it rubbish if it is), I personally don't have a problem with that, it's a fairly normal practice to get some coverage and IMHO more honest than to pay someone to regurgitate a press release (and suicidally brave to do that with someone from EL Reg :) ).

As for the actual costs, £75 is not that dramatic - as far as I can tell, it does take quite a few resources to make this happen and the price is not out of sync with, for instance, theatre tickets, especially since you have no annoying crowds to look over.

1. Bleu

Re: If photos are strictly

Well, apart from my snarkery about price (and no, I would not pay ¥15,000 to attend an alienated event of this type), the photo is out of place given 'the photos absolutely forbidden' (sure, not the exact quote, but accurate) in the article.

AFAIK we don't have them, the closest thing is morons paying to being at xxx48 events, xxx being any matching combination of letters.

Maybe cosplayers, OK but much cheaper, or hentai, but the latter as alienating as Secret Cinema sounds for the average person there, and still much cheaper.

I sort-of think the concept sounds like fun, but am too conscious of how the promoters' minds work, having lived abroad and seeing, for one, how big 'raves' work(ed).

Am the curious as to why you were to feeling the need to post as AC.

Even the writer (you?) makes it sound like a very unfriendly event, only sounding like it could be fun on something more than a few drinks.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Was lucky enough to go to a preview

They have put a lot of effort in, and you can see where a lot of the money has gone. There are some bits that are stunning, and lots of great visual gags. However I do feel the £75 is a bit much-especially when you are then paying for food and drink in there (£6-7 for a wrap or a rum and coke). Having now been once I would have been prepared to pay £50, you do get a lot more than you would from a west end show, but for me it's just that bit more than I think is worth it for an evening out.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Costs - worth every penny

I was lucky enough to attend on the weekend too (wonder if I went the same night at the reporter).

Have seen a lot of people moan about the cost of the event, the costs once in side and any additional costs on top. The actual event it self turned out to be great value for money if you interact with whats going on. Its hard to explain what happens without really spoiling the event but report above gives you just a small taste of what is about to come.

Once in there the costs for things are varied in price. Bottle water was the cheapest at £1 which isn't too bad when my work subsides canteen charges more. Also I got a medium iced coffee for £3.50 which compared to Costa/Starbucks/other brands wasn't bad. There was lots of other food/beverages to purchase. Some really did look expensive, but then again you don't have to purchase them. If you have a card that can TAP then use that as its much easier for you and staff.

I really recommend dressing up also to full emerge your self. Again this can be done fairly cheap buy either going on eBay or visiting there shop (also a online one). Again the prices at the shop varied. I did a mixture of purchases but didn't spend more than £30 for a decent outfit which I will use again for a fancy dress parties. Do buy or find at home the items you need to trade with as this will help in the experience and make it feel worth the money. At the end of the evening they try and ask for and left over bits, you don't need to give them back and can all be sold back on eBay to fans if you want your money back.

The only thing I was disappointed in was not able to take photos. If anyone is going in the next few weeks and good luck.

#RebelX We are with you!

1. Simon Rockman

Re: Costs - worth every penny

I took my son (17), girlfriend and her son (13). We all enjoyed it but my son *loved* it. I can't remember him being so happy. I think the highlight for him was when a Jawa stole his watch.

He said that he's taught himself to lucid dream and has put himself in the scenario which Secret Cinema built.

I like the ban on phones/cameras, not for the secrecy but it meant the place wasn't full of people taking selfies.

I agree it's worth putting the effort into dressing up (something I did badly), I don't think it too expensive. My only criticism is that the toilets were outside and going to them broke the fourth wall.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon