back to article Sun like it hot: Philae comet probe wakes up, phones home again

The Philae probe on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko has been in contact again, the European Space Agency has confirmed – and the lander is getting more than enough sunshine on its solar panels to power itself continuously. Battery warm & solar panels getting energy. Anxious to explore, comet day & night! More about # …

1. David 45
    Happy

Good news

This is excellent news. Plucky little blighter lives to fight another day!

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Good news

Woo. And likewise, Hoo!

1. Roq D. Kasba

Not just me who's irrationally and disproportionately happy about this then? My Mrs couldn't be less interested, instead reverting to the age-old '...use all that money to cure cancer...'/whatever argument, but it makes me really well up inside to hear it's going well!

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Not just that - it will actually be able to perform stuff it was never intended to. In its original position it would have been fried by now. Where it is now it may even manage the close shave with the sun. Fingers crossed for the Rosetta portion to survive to relay the data.

2. JimWin
    Happy

Patience rewarded...

Ditto. Let's hope the probe is now able to finish its job. I'm still in awe about the whole mission and with it being European rather than the US or Russia. Great work guys and gals.

3. iLuddite

packets

Petabytes are fine, but there should be a Nobel for people who can do inspiring things with kilobytes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Re: packets

To paraphrase, "It's not the bytes, it's how you use them."

4. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Headmaster

Botched Llanding?!?

Philae has been out of contact for months after a botched landing...

I think you're being a little disingenuous there. Sure, the landing wasn't to plan, but considering no-one has attempted anything like this before, the result was still pretty bloody awesome.

1. Mage Silver badge
      Alien

Re: Botched Llanding?!?

Brilliant really ... it's got a parasol.

no-one knew in advance exactly what the probe would be landing on. Also there is almost no gravity. You might be able to jump hard enough to escape it!

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Jumping off 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko

If you can jump up 2.5cm on Earth, then you can jump off 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko and not come back (you would have to climb to the 'top' and jump in the direction of your spin). If you can jump a whole 10cm on Earth, you can leave 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko from any point and in any direction (you would have to bounce a few times if you pick a poor direction).

2. Bronek Kozicki
      Pint

Had the probe landed in direct sunlight, as planned, the sun's rays would have cooked it by now. Because the lander is partially in the shade, it's still well within operating temperatures and should be able to send back data as the comet heats up, offering clues as to how the heating process affects its chemistry.

It's turning out that this, executed not exactly as planned, landing will give Philae an opportunity to perform more research, which also was not previously planned and which otherwise would not have been possible. Hurray for botched landing!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep, I covered my monitor in traditional Fighter Command cocoa when I read that. 'Botched Landing'! A wise man once said...."If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing." As the little chap is still working after the flight it's had, Mr Yeager would almost certainly classify it's landing in the 'outstanding' bracket. El Reg : apologize to Philae.....

1. DropBear
        Devil

"If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing..."

Sure, that's one perfectly valid way to look at it, hence no downvote from me. On the other hand, one can equally validly look at it as "the single one good thing about that landing is that the probe is still in one piece and sheer luck has more to do with it than planning does", which justifies the original assessment just fine. In absolute terms, it's an incredible triumph. I relative terms, there's hardly anything that didn't go wrong with that landing.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Tim Roberts 1

a botched landing?

That's pretty harsh from someone who has probably only ever tried to park a car.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Alien

Not Necking Celery

"The two probes will spend the rest of their lives accompanying the comet as it journeys through the cosmos."

It depends on whether the Ramans take an interest in it.

1. x 7

Re: Not Necking Celery

just hope they never find a black obelisk.....

1. hplasm
        Thumb Up

just hope they DO find a black obelisk.....

FTFY

2. Annihilator

I suspect that one of them will subsequently be scattered across it as its orbit decays. Philae on the other hand, will potentially be a glorious monument to ESA. Unless it becomes part of the comet's tail? Anyone know if it weighs enough to resist sublimation?

1. DasBub

Here's an attempt at answering the question:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/asked-answered/2015/06/04/andrea-hiland-comet-riding-lander-likely-safe-cbt/28279021/

"As the comet nears perihelion and becomes increasingly active, it is likely to start throwing off boulder-sized chunks. It might even split in two, although that is regarded as unlikely. One thing we know about comets, though, is that they tend to do the unexpected.

"Philae, about the size of a small refrigerator, could find itself blown out with some of these outgassed and entrained materials. To be lost from the comet nucleus, this would require ejection at several meters per second. But that would be at the large end of sizes, and unless the comet catastrophically disrupts, Philae is likely to stay put.

"Being denser than the cometary materials, Philae's fate might instead be to become increasingly buried beneath all of this mobilized debris, kind of like a snowmobile abandoned in a snowstorm."

Grain of salt, etc.

7. The Vociferous Time Waster

Best landing on a comet ever

we sent a probe a decade ago that was able to land on a comet and survive several mishaps and still be able to get in contact with our blue ball a long way away - that is the stuff of my childhood dreams

8. Martin Budden Silver badge

I'm confused.

Which isn't unusual, I get confused a lot.

...the Earth-bound controllers haven't been able to communicate with it long enough to operate its ten instruments as yet... ...To rectify that, the Rosetta probe is going to fire up its thrusters and get closer to the comet's surface so that a firm data link can be achieved...

Rosetta hasn't been able to stay in contact for long enough to get useful communication going, so they are going to move Rosetta into a nearer orbit. But won't a nearer orbit reduce the orbital period, making each communication window shorter, making communication even less useful?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: I'm confused.

Oh wait, I just thought of a situation where a lower orbit could help. Maybe Rosetta is currently in an orbit which is *above* a geostationary orbit, in which case bringing Rosetta down into a geostationary orbit directly above Philae can give them 100% communication.

1. Shannon Jacobs
        Holmes

Pretty certain those numbers don't make sense

However, my competing wild guess would be that the transmitter is weak, so getting closer will greatly improve the data transfer rate. Data storage does not seem to be a problem on the lander end, though what I've read has only been indirect evidence on that topic.

9. Comedy of Errors

Nobody querying the poor comms?

Nobody in any news story seems to have questioned the packet figures:

First contact: One contact for 2 mins, sent back 300 packets

Latest contact: Two contacts for 2 minutes each, but sent back only 185 packets in total.

That suggests very poor comms. Poor angle? Interference from dust? I don't know and nobody seems to be questioning it.

1. Comedy of Errors

Re: Nobody querying the poor comms?

I have uncovered some figures.

A packet is 256 bytes of data + another 20 header = 276 bytes

Max transmission speed is 16kbps

From a quick calc I reckon that means they can achieve roughly 870 packets in 2 minutes (though there may be some overhead establishing the connection). So we are still a long way off that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like