back to article Take that NATS! Jocko IT is also totally rubbish. BOOM!

Scottish nationalists have a lot more in common with their Sassenach cousins than they'd like to admit, with both nations seemingly equally crap at IT. A report by the country's spend watchdog Audit Scotland found the government "Continue[s] to encounter difficulties" in managing Information and Communication Technology (ICT) …

1. frank ly

To be expected - keep watching though

Given that, until recently, the Scottish IT effort was essentially part of the overall UK government IT effort (in broad terms), it's not surprising they're as bad in various measures. What will be interesting is to see how Sotland's performance in this area varies from the historical norm as the years go by and compare that with Westminster led improvements (if any). Then we can analyse and identify 'best practice' examples. ('Best' is a relative term.)

1. theblackhand

Re: To be expected - keep watching though

But surely once Scottish Government IT were free of their English oppressors they would rise up and create new, mighty IT systems?

Or have I been watching too many SNP election advertisements that I recorded to pass the time? What do you mean sad?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: To be expected - keep watching though

As a Scottish Government sysadmin.. yeah, that's about right.

ps. Have to post anon - sorry peeps.

2. Archaon

I thought this was something about NATS following that IT issue they had a few months ago...consider me appropriately baited.

1. Bleu

Is the talk

about Network Address Translators or SNP?

Many posters seem confused.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My initial thought was National Air Traffic Services - again. ..but the headline "Jocko IT" was then a puzzle - until I read the article.

3. Kubla Cant
    Meh

Who's crap at IT?

both nations seemingly equally crap at IT

The article reports that the Scottish government and the UK government are both crap at IT*. I believe the British, as a nation, are actually quite good at IT. It's the government that's crap at IT. No surprise there, being crap at things is a government speciality.

*Maybe because they don't know that it isn't called "ICT". Wasn't ICT the name of the company that became ICL?

1. Mark 85

Re: Who's crap at IT?

Is there any government who isn't crap at IT?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Who's crap at IT?

Transport for London isn't that bad compared to some. Oyster Cards and Congestion Charging work reasonably well.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah I hate that we're called ICT. Am currently lobbying to have this changed but ... no. It takes time for crap like that to get changed.

ICT, to me, means "anything with a plug" and if my experience is anything to go by that attitude is prevalent and disheartening.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

It's nearly the weekend

Have one of these mate and cheer up -->

Cheers.

2. Doctor_Wibble
      Joke

> ICT, to me, means "anything with a plug"

I have a sink that needs fixing, when can you do it?

5. Bleu

Bureaucrats and managers

never have the slightest idea. Anyone with experience will remember that mainframes, Unix minis and workstations and independent (i.e. NOT MS, NOT Apple) eight- and sixteen-bit systems were the cream of the crop for many years.

British regtards should be especially ashamed, you had a great position on the eight- and sixteen-bit machines, thrown away to favour the US push for dominance.

In our case, the TRON OS was the world's best until very recently, but the USA ran very dirty campaigns to ensure that it did not become a major OS on desktop and notebook computers.

The government in Japan, in collaboration with NEC, among other makers, announced a plan to make TRON desktops for schools, much in the same way as Apple's similar product placement at times.

The US occupation authorities were livid, they made many threats. It was also the reason for attacks on our production of large and efficient DRAM.

The same process is endlessly repeated in WWW tech.

UK is, from what I see, a different case, the ruling class hates those with some idea of science and tech., so the flowering in the eighties to early nineties swiftly died on the vine.

You are supposedly a 'victor' of WWII, but in truth as much an occupied nation as Japan, although with fewer arsehole US soldiers (sure, not all arseholes, but most are).

The US info dominance will not last too much longer, for example, many people in the world know that the USA de facto supports IS nutters, you only need a quick search to see IS morons riding US-supplied tanks,'Humvees', wielding US-supplied anti-tank and anti-aircraft (which can easily fell a civilian airliner somewhere else), US desert camouflage, US body armour.

Transparent to sane people.

Mad world, indeed.

1. Mark 85

Re: Bureaucrats and managers

for example, many people in the world know that the USA de facto supports IS nutters, you only need a quick search to see IS morons riding US-supplied tanks,'Humvees', wielding US-supplied anti-tank and anti-aircraft (which can easily fell a civilian airliner somewhere else), US desert camouflage, US body armour.

All those things were captured from the Iraqis. So, when the Iraqis toss down their weapons and run, that probably makes them ACTUAL supporters? What am I missing in your logic? How did this go from an IT rant to a war zone?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

... the ruling class hates those with some idea of science and tech.

Of course they do! People that are good with computers and/or the various sciences (manufacture bombs, bio-weapons, ...) are existential threats to the elites. The very last thing they'd want is subsidize that sort of education.

1. Bleu

Your nonce answer

is very silly, you might reflect on it at your leisure.

7. Bluff and Bluster

There must be something in the water.......

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/fife/fife-council-s-delayed-and-over-budget-12-million-it-project-a-sad-and-sorry-tale-1.885454

8. ricardian

The SNP election material began arriving on my island (Stronsay, Orkney) today. Alas, the database has done a random mix of names with addresses thus affording the inhabitants much amusement and giving the postie quite a challenge

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like