back to article Cisco to pour BEELIONS into China

Just days after emptying out some corner offices in China, Cisco says it's going to pour US$10 billion into developing business in the Middle Kingdom. The Borg has posted an announcement that it's signed a memoranda of understanding (MoUs) with China's National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), and with the Association …

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Joke

So will this closer integration with China mean we can look forward to buying a router with a choice of NSA or PRC back door? Will the web site be pre-ticked depending on your shipping destination?

Actually I'm not sure the joke icon is quite appropriate...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I point out that the translation of the way that the Chinese refer to their own country is possibly perpetuating a misconception.

The actual Chinese can be interpreted as Middle or Central. A prevalent, and understandable, Chinese world-view is that theirs is the Central Realm, about which all other countries are peripheral. I'll quote a bit of the relevant Wikipedia article ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_China ):

Some Western writers use the translation "middle kingdom" or "central kingdom" to imply that China has a deeply rooted self-centered psychology as the center of the universe. Endymion Wilkinson denies that the Chinese were unique in thinking of their country as central, although China was the only culture to use the concept for their name.[30] Regarding the accuracy of the translation, Professor Chen Jian writes: "I believe that 'Central Kingdom' is a more accurate translation for 'Zhong Guo' (China) than 'Middle Kingdom'. The term 'Middle Kingdom' does not imply that China is superior to other peoples and nations around it — China just happens to be located in the middle geographically; the term 'Central Kingdom', however, implies that China is superior to any other people and nation 'under the heaven' and that it thus occupies a 'central' position in the known universe." [31]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like