back to article git commit -m 'Add $200m to GitHub, tweak valuation to $2bn'

Code-sharing website GitHub is pursuing a new round of venture capital based on a US$2bn (£1.26bn) valuation. Bloomberg cited sources familiar with the matter in reporting that GitHub is in the middle of a series-b funding push to raise US$200m in capital. That dosh would give investors a 10 per cent stake in the company …

1. K
    Coat

Not too shabby for something built off the back of other peoples hard work

Can't deny, it has led to some very impressive projects..

Unlike SF which these days seems limited hosting binaries and code that is so old even the bugs are packing up and leaving! (Baaaa dum tss!!)

Now where did I put my slippers and pipe!

2. Tom 64

Devs, prepare to abandon ship.

Those investors are going to want their money back soon. Get ready for the site to become very unfriendly with banners to 'upgrade to premium' or 'get github for enterprise NOW!'

1. PushF12
      Flame

Re: Devs, prepare to abandon ship.

Become? Github is already exercising editorial control over content and recently deployed a DMCA robot to make takedowns easier.

People unfortunate enough offend SJWs or be noticed by the politburo also risk bannination or public humiliation. Github is a safe place.

The debacle of io.js forking from node.js is an example that El Reg covered.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Disturbing

We only recently started to mirror our project on github because of the sourceforge situation.

1. Pig Dog Bay
      Unhappy

Re: Disturbing

Recently moved to Github from Google Code, I hope with this new investment they don't 'improve' the site.

4. Pig Dog Bay
    Boffin

Spaghetti Code

Nice picture of spaghetti C++, loops within loops!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like