back to article VMware doubles the VM count for EVO: RAIL systems

VMware has pumped up the power of its hyper-converged EVO: RAIL nodes with more memory and storage, so they can run twice as many VMs. As detailed in a VMware blog, the latest node options look like this: Dual 6, 8, 10 or 12 core Intel Haswell or Ivy Bridge CPUs per node 128GB to 512GB of memory per node, up from 192GB …

1. Millennia

NIce try

Unfortunately Atlantis Hyperscale just altogether has a better all flash system at prices lower than most EVO:RAIL vendors. These extra options will just hike VSAN prices even higher over Atlantis, and much as everybody tries to stoke the price war between Nutanix and VSAN their paths are widely divergent - VSAN ain't controlling the whole DC anytime soon without a multi-layered plethora of complicated different applications with steep learning curves.

For me Atlantis is the sling-it-in slayer of low hanging HCI fruit, and Nutanix is strategic Enterprise HCI. VMware seem to be, for the first time in their history, trying to shoehorn into a space rather than creating it.

1. Doogie Howser MD

Re: NIce try

I don't agree. The best solution, whether that's Nutanix, VSAN, Atlantis or anything else is down to customer requirements and budgets. No one is "better" than the other, they all have their pluses and minuses.

Re the VMware comment, they are in the business of abstracting tin and virtualising it. First with compute, then with networking and now with storage. So it goes. I don't see it as a "me too" strategy, but a logical continuation of what they've already done.

Disclaimer : I work for a VMware Partner.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like