back to article Phone hacking blitz hammers UK.biz's poor VoIP handsets

UK businesses are getting disproportionately targeted by a surge of attacks against Voice over IP (VoIP) systems. The growing use of VoIP technology in business and a greater availability of hacking tools that dumb down the process of hacking into systems has led to an increase in attacks worldwide. UK-based systems are being …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cold calls

"UK businesses are getting disproportionately targeted by a surge of attacks against Voice over IP (VoIP) systems"

Maybe somebody (or multiple somebodies) are just fed up with all the cold calls and are trying to take matters into their own hands...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cold calls

"UK businesses are getting disproportionately targeted by a surge of attacks against Voice over IP (VoIP) systems"

I have yet to hear of a successful attack against one based on Lync (Skype for Business) though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Cold calls

This is not because Lync is more secure or less secure. Lync uses TCP not UDP and the attacks have yet to really explore this area. If you run SIP with TLS over TCP instead of UDP you will therefore have the same benefit of security through obscurity. For now anyway.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Henry 8

Thinly-veiled advert?

I agree that sysadmins should remember to include VoIP in their assessment of network security etc. However, I'm afraid I'm always going to be sceptical of a company-produced "study" which essentially ends in an advert where they tell you that the same company just so happens to sell a product which can help solve $problem_covered_in_report

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thinly-veiled advert?

"However, I'm afraid I'm always going to be sceptical of a company-produced "study" which essentially ends in an advert "

el Reg has to make a living too ...

Anyway, in my experience the problem has actually decreased somewhat as people have wised up and realised their firewall can be quite handy. I still see rather a lot of AWS systems having a bash through the treacle of the fake SIP tarpitted services I provide to the world on my unused IPs. Always handy to see what is going on out there.

Top tip: Don't even think of relying on your dialplan to stop expensive calls - kill it with fire(wall)

4. elaar

Brute forcing passwords should be almost impossible if people used proper passwords for such important systems. You would think people would have learnt this by now.

When we provide a company with Voip, all International/premium dialing is disabled. We require a signed disclaimer if they want to allow this on certain extensions, and we also only allow a couple of Group Admins (once they have been adequately trained). A number of times customers have been hacked, and on each occassion they try to blame us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Brute forcing passwords should be almost impossible if people used proper passwords for such important systems."

Use MD5 or SHA1sums or whatever to generate a stupidly long random SIP password for the handset to use and provision it to handsets securely. Now get users to login with a mailbox password or similar.

Firewall trunks to and from your suppliers and between sites by IP address. External end users MUST have a static IP and hence be firewallable OR use a VPN. Dialplans are not the place for attempting security although it will help: always have layers to your security. Don't leave APIs, ftp, web GUIs and the Lord knows what else open to the interwebs.

I do all the above and more and still worry .....

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

> Use MD5 or SHA1sums or whatever

You don't need MD5 or SHA - they impose a limit on the length anyway. On a GNU/Linux system you have a source of random data to hand and can do something like this :

tr -dc '[0-9A-Za-z] < /dev/urandom | head -c 20 ; echo

"0-9A-Za-z" is the list of characters to allow (edit to your preference), and the 20 is the length you want.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SIP trunking is to blame. This service puts responsibility into the hands of the customer and as a result fraud is running rampant.

Yes, it may be possible to secure as a previous comment suggested but this only goes to show that SIP trunks are insecure by design. I know of at least 3 Linx member companies that have had their SIP hacked, surely they can secure this stuff easily? Last week I heard of another tech company with a 50,000 pound hack.

The Register has published several home grown style articles suggesting companies should use a PBX with VoIP. Best not do this. Hosted environments are the way to go from a company that supplies a phone with secure provisioning.

Always ask your provider what your limit of risk is and if you don't like the answer ditch them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I know of at least 3 Linx member companies that have had their SIP hacked, surely they can secure this stuff easily? Last week I heard of another tech company with a 50,000 pound hack.

The Register has published several home grown style articles suggesting companies should use a PBX with VoIP. Best not do this."

The unnamed tech companies you mention should be more careful. Yes you can secure this stuff easily. All suppliers can provide you a list of IPs where they come from and take calls. Use a firewall. See my comment above. Treat it like IT as well as telephony and you'll be fine.

Who's your employer, AC?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Firewall's are important but clearly not stopping hackers in VoIP or any other areas of the Internet.

SIP trunks are where all the new hacking is stemming from. That's my warnings and yours too!

My employer doesn't supply SIP trunks. Anyway, I comment here in a personal capacity. What I say about SIP trunks for use on PBXs holds true.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As above, all extensions should have loooong random passwords - after all, other than when setting up extensions (softphones), there is no need for a human to ever even see it let alone type it. If you can remotely provision your phones then all the better.

Block all connections at the firewall except for specific known ranges (eg your provider, specific home users*). If you don't then I'll agree that you WILL be subjected to at least one persistent brute force attack - maybe even multiple ones from multiple attackers at the same time as I've seen in the past. A single attack may be megabits of traffic, and thousands of registration requests, per second.

Interestingly, once an attack has started, some of them do not stop when they stop getting replies. When I read up on this, it seems that one of the tools they use is buggy and keeps going on and on and on ... for days/weeks !

Yes, I've been ramping up security over the years at work !

* Better still, block all external traffic and use something like port knocking to allow access as required. I believe this is supported as standard by PBX in a Flash.

7. bigChrisH

VoIP is not bad, it's how you deploy it

These issues are not the fault of VoIP itself, the public internet is a dangerous place for any form of communication if unprotected - but with adequate protection it's a fantastic medium to use.

It is the lack of awareness and understanding of these risks, as well as the reticence of those offering VoIP to address the insecurities openly that ensure the criminals have these targets to compromise, and therefore a lucrative revenue stream waiting to be plundered !

In my role at an ITSP I have seen examples of the issues mentioned in the article many times - especially, as mentioned, the steady rise of eavesdropping of calls. However as an organisation that is campaigning for more awareness and for secure VoIP to become the norm we provide solutions for these issues.

8. Paul_German

As the article highlights, UK businesses are experiencing a surge of attacks aimed specifically against Voice over IP systems. These attacks include toll fraud, service abuse and most recently, eavesdropping. This knowledge raises the question, why aren’t businesses implementing security alongside VoIP?

For many UK SMEs it quite simply comes down to cost. These businesses are using VoIP to save money on calls and hardware, but having to implement expensive security defeats the point.

However, what many UK’s SMEs aren’t aware of is that, in this environment, security doesn’t have to be costly. With freemium SIP trunk security solutions increasingly available for quick and easy deployment on a SaaS basis, SMEs can help to secure their VoIP as well as providing the foundation for a future-proof defence-in-depth model that spans both voice and data networks.

Paul German, CEO, VoipSec

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like