back to article Pirate Party founder: I wanna turn news into a series of three-line viral gobbets

Pirate Party founder Rick Falkvinge* has declared war on “oldmedia”, which he spells as one word. His Falconwing News service will pump out three-sentence “stories” scraped from real news sources and posted as images. Advertisers will be able to inject their ads into this stream. He vows that he’ll pay writers “better” than “ …

1. Dan Paul

Just another crackhead pretending to be a journalist

We have enough "blipvert" so called news as it is now without adding this buffoon to the mix.

Hell, we can't get the "News" without "color commentary" right now. Apparently "New Meja" thinks they can do it better than the Walter Cronkite types of yore. That means that "Content" and "Facts" will be missing in action.

You can have him and his pre-censored useless twaddle. Associated Press should just sue him now and get it over with.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Re: Dan Paul Re: Just another crackhead pretending to be a journalist

".....Associated Press should just sue him now...." I assume AP will wait until there is some actual money in the PeePee pot.

2. Turtle

The Consumer.

"His Falconwing News service will pump out three-sentence 'stories' scraped from real news sources and posted as images. Advertisers will be able to inject their ads into this stream."

I don't really understand why a person who would consume 3-sentence news stories needs to read the news at all. Couldn't they just get all the information they need to know from t-shirts, bumper stickers, and song lyrics?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Consumer.

There's a classic short story (Asimov?) where an entrepreneur notes that people don't really like paying attention to the news but they dislike even more feeling out of the loop. So he starts selling the ultimate Reader's Digest of news: all the stories of the day boiled down to a single nonsensical word by patented process: the happy consumer reads "pudquitch" at breakfast and goes about their day feeling informed.

(now I wish I could find it again - searching finds nothing but infinite blogspam on becoming a writer. Maybe some commentard blessed with functioning brain cells knows the story's name?)

1. Coen Dijkgraaf
        Alien

@Mongo Maybe post what you remember of the story in http://scifi.stackexchange.com/ tagged story-identification and someone will be able to identify it for you.

2. sisk

Well I would say look through a list of Asimov's short stories, but that could take all week.

3. Cuddles

Writers?

"three-sentence “stories” scraped from real news sources and posted as images... pay writers “better”... 682 new jobs"

I'm confused, if all you're doing is stealing what other sources have already written, why exactly do you need to pay any writers anything, and what on Earth will those 682 people actually do?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Writers?

Presumably their job is trawl the "useless oldmedia" for the content, then pick the 3 lines of snippet to steal, then steal away.

It's funny how much the future of modern news appears to be nicking linking to what other people have done without paying for it, claiming your platform is the new big thing and then moaning about how the old media is producing worse and worse content nowadays (as it's earning less money), and what we need is more new media...

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

“large raptors symbolise pride, freedom and vision”

Possibly so. But to quote from the fount-of-all-wisdom Dogbert, "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Presumably the Register should have some pithy statement about how vultures are better than raptors?

Vultures: Burying their heads deep into the putrid guts of news! Bringing you only the finest news-giblets!

(Sorry, that's all gone a bit Chris Morris)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon