back to article NOBODY reading your Facebook post? TOUGH LUCK, sez Zuck

Facebook has fiddled with its News Feed algorithm to scan the amount of time someone spends reading a given post on the site and app. It means that "stories" that are shunned on the free content ad network will be pushed further down Facebook's News Feed page. Unsurprisingly, the Mark Zuckerberg-run company characterised the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

coming soon to FB

'Hello Dave. We notice that you have been reading this page for the last 10 seconds. In view of the inordinately long time we would like to recommend that you might like to read the following pages....'

And hidden text that says 'so that we can continue to pump even more adverts at you every 'N' seconds.

Facebook is IMHO nothing more than a tracking system for the NSA that is funded by the adverts that it pumps out at you the victims.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: coming soon to FB

"Facebook is IMHO nothing more than a tracking system for the NSA "

It would be nice if it was as benign as that. Isn't that the tracking website whose owner tried to buy an entire street so nobody could watch him? Does he have a sledge named "Rosebud"?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where did you get that comically horrific picture? Now I'm hungry for eggs and slightly nauseated.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Me too!

I'm glad I'm not the only one - it's vile!!

I scrolled down quick!!

3. James 51

If I like an ad and slag it off in the comments will I get paid to stop?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook for business?

They keep pushing this and it's kinda required to have a Facebook page for your business these days but this just shows that if you are like most of us who post nonsense for our friends to see then it doesn't matter about the "engagement"

... and for the people on this site who just say fb is bad and they never had an account etc, if you actively think you are publishing to the world and post accordingly, it's actually quite a useful way of avoiding talking to people directly . .. its all down to how you want to use it, not how it uses you!

1. Doctor_Wibble

Re: Facebook for business?

> its all down to how you want to use it, not how it uses you!

This has a familiar sound to it - 'in soviet facebook, article reads you!'

Or one of those weird 'palindromic advice' comments by Sphinx from Mystery Men, 'you must control your page or your page will control you'.

2. msknight
      FAIL

Re: Facebook for business?

Well, I've had an account for several years and it's played hell with my viewing.

The engagement statistics are furtling around with something that they can't get a grip on.

Like, you know that friend that you never hear from in ages and when you do talk with them, it feel like only yesterday? The kind of closeness that isn't dependent on having contact with them every day ... well, that's furked up by Facebook now.

Also, when I read the "most recent" posts ... they aren't. Every time I refresh the page, I get posts that weren't there before. It takes far too much effort to actually see the updates that all my friends have posted over the last few days.

I just can't trust Faceache to actually keep me in touch with my friends any more. It is now an absolute disaster and getting worse with every piece of furtling they do.

5. Teiwaz

News?

When did Facebook start reporting news?

I thought they dealt in adverts and mindless drivel...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: News?

"I thought they dealt in adverts and mindless drivel..."

Have you noticed a tabloid newspaper recently? I won't write "read". Advertorial and mindless drivel is what passes for news nowadays.

Even the Grauniad, which used to be a newspaper. 2/3 of a page(!) about Apple Pay, about one line that mentioned that most people in this country can already use their debit cards to do the same job.

2. RISC OS

Re: News?

Facebooks real purpose is to allow women to post bullshit quotes

https://youtu.be/3B55R8fAyU8?t=38m1s

6. lsces

Duff information helps noone

I'm still fighting the problems that Facebook continue to ignore by NOT fixing all of the mistakes in place information in the UK. The number of incorrect place names is in the hundreds and it is perhaps surprising that advertisers that rely on accurate demographics simply accept the faults?

7. sambasegal

I Love Facebook

I like the attention...I Love Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1bTQAz5BCQ

8. RISC OS

or maybe their brother called and they were talking to him leaving the page unscrolled for half an hour instead of reading the post because it was resonating.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

By that logic

someone observing my laptop behavior at around 8AM every day would think the web resonates more with me at that time, but it's really because I'm on the loo, dropping the kids off at the pool - and clicking around is more of a pain in the ass, so to speak, so I tend to just stay on one article for the duration.

10. Stigofthedump

Adblock

I don't see many of Mr Zuckerberg's ads anyway. Adblock Plus attachment in Firefox makes my browsing much more pleasurable. It kills a good few of El reg's ads as well. :-)

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Adblock

We'd be happier (and richer) if you'd whitelist us.

1. James O'Shea

"We'd be happier (and richer) if you'd whitelist us."

Not necessarily. On occasion I visit El Reg from a machine which doesn't have Ad Block, and therefore see the ads. It's been a _long_ time since I thought of any of those ads as being anything other than an annoying distraction. I'm thinking in particular of the ad engine which displays an ad _before_ allowing me to access El Reg at all. I really hate that system. I've been making a note of those companies which advertise using it, so as to never buy any of their products.

There's a _reason_ why I usually use an adblocker.

2. GrumpenKraut

Re: Adblock --> Ghostery

Just disabled Adblock for all things theregister, still zero ads (yes, reloaded pages).

Do I have to allow those trackers (blocked by Ghostery) as well?

3. Gio Ciampa

Host them yourself and they wouldn't get blocked... ;^D

11. Zot

I've payed Facebook to push

posts from my business. I'm sorry, but it's key worded advertising worked better than Google. So I'll be using them again.

Even though I don't really like Facebook, or use it personally. It doesn't mean I can't use it to reach people.

12. JustWondering
    Thumb Down

Excuse me Zuckhead

If my friends don't see my posts, and I don't see my friends' posts, WTF am I wasting my time on your data mine for?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like