back to article Only good thing about Twitter CEO storm: 140 character limit gone

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo will leave the San Francisco-headquartered social network within days. Shares in Twitter soared nearly eight per cent on the news. The microblogging site said in a SEC filing, published in the past few minutes, that Costolo will leave as chief exec on July 1 and be replaced by Twitter cofounder Jack …

1. Mark 85
    Pint

Excellence in headline writing once again!!

Kudos and a pint for that...

<jk>But what's a twitter? Something for twits?</jk>

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Fungus Bob
      Holmes

Re: Excellence in headline writing once again!!

"But what's a twitter?"

I believe that would be the collective noun for a group of twits...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Large textual messages direct to another person?

Wow, so is that anything like this 'email' technology I've heard about?

I can imagine one reason for this guy leaving - how mind-numbingly boring it must be to run a company like Twitter, where something so banal is considered a one-a-decade breakthrough.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Large textual messages direct to another person?

Why should a company using Twitter for customer support

I think you mean why should a company use Twitter for customer support?

Twitter has always been about PR only. Every minute spent on using PR for support is a minute taken away from support.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Remind me again

What innovative, ground breaking must have technology does Twitter offers?

Oh yeah. Nothing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Remind me again

What innovative, ground breaking must have technology does Twitter offer?

Twitter: Email but you only get the Subject: line.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Remind me again

What innovative, ground breaking must have technology does Twitter offers?

Oh ye of little faithe! Twitter is the innovative, ground-breaking system whereby the cretinous or simply vacuous can communicate planet-wide, without exposing their inability to compose a cogent message of more than thirty words, or risking breaking their own brains with major challenges like punctuation or grammar.

And likewise, those "millenials" and hipsters with an attention span that makes your average fly look like Stephen Hawking, where else could they go to suck on the teat of the "speek-your-braines" side of the internet without causing their own heads to explode?

Twitter is a technological marvel, for which we should be eternally grateful, sucking up huge volumes of drivel, like the internet's own cleaning sponge.

4. Florida1920
    Paris Hilton

Paris wants to know

If this has anything to do with the robin being named the National Bird of the UK?

5. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

...and has 3,900 employees...

Twitter, I figured out why you can't make money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ...and has 3,900 employees...

Probably about 95% or those are marketing and sales, trying and failing to advertising revenue.

Don't worry I'm sure twitter will do what all companies do, lay of more IT staff so that they can hire more marketing and sales people.

1. James Hughes 1

That was the figure I gawped at. How can it need 3900 people to run Twitter?

1. The last doughnut
          IT Angle

They must have fairly large compute resources so I guess some proportion of that are in IT.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Give me three good sysadmins and budget enough for Puppet licenses and I'll show you how to run Twitter without needing a large IT staff.

6. Elmer Phud

Removing character limit

Do we really need another Facebook?

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Removing character limit

Do we need ANY Facebooks?

1. DropBear
        Devil

Re: Removing character limit

No, but I wouldn't mind a service that would invisibly intercept any mail coming from Facebook and automatically send a reply to every mail address detected in it with the message "This user doesn't have a Facebook account, doesn't want to get one, and is definitely not interested in seeing countless photos of your precious spawn or latest meal so kindly bugger off..."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like