back to article No Silicon Roundabout U-Bend U-Turn: Build that peninsula boys

Following a period of consultation, Transport for London has published a report showing that a significant proportion of the 1,300 people who expressed an opinion thought the idea of converting London's so-called Silicon Roundabout into a U-Bend incorporating a "peninsula" was A Good Thing. Under the plan, the amount of space …

1. fridaynightsmoke

Planners love this stuff

In my area there are a few schemes on the go that are the same. On my (former) route to work there's an insanely busy roundabout that's having one side removed, turning it into a festival of traffic lights with lots of fancy paving. This is in aid of making the thing more 'pedestrian friendly', despite the fact that 2 sides are already roofed over, with pedestrians going over the top without a care in the world.

The council selling off the land that was formerly one side of the roundabout might have more to do with the motivation for the scheme.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

You mean, sending roads/stations closure warnings or surveys only to known users of the routes, that may have an actual interest or opinion, instead of spamming world+dog? Right, what a scandal...

2. Alan_Peery

Oyster data

Interesting, very useful, and *perhaps* controversial. I think it makes a great deal of sense to try and reach the people most directly affected.

It might even be addressed by addressed by the Oyster terms and conditions, but I leave finding that out to those who think this wasn't a sensible approach.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

What to call it?

Can't use "roundabout" any more. Silly Con iSore?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: What to call it?

"Silicon U-Bend" of course.

As in "The company went round the Silicon U-Bend".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Silicon Winky...

1. Naughtyhorse

Silly-con colon

4. Snivelling Wretch
    Joke

"Opinions were canvassed through direct email to people whose Oyster cards showed they used the area, [...] Only 30 per cent of respondents were motorists while 79 per cent were tube users."

You don't say? Seems like this survey was incomplete. In fact, I would say it was only semi-conducted.

5. Mark Allen
    IT Angle

Is this out the El'Reg window?

I am trying to understand the IT Angle. For a moment I thought I had opened my local newspaper website and their standard rant-bait articles. Or does this just drop into that category of annoying designers who don't bother to check with the user as to what they really want.

1. Jay 2

Re: Is this out the El'Reg window?

The area in question has been termed "Silicon Roundabout" due to an influx of IT/media/digital-whatever companies. I think it is the result of some sort of government/hipster thing.

1. Synonymous Howard

It is still somewhat parochial, especially to those of us who are, thankfully, not within the gravitational field of the blackhole that is LUN DON.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It is still somewhat parochial, especially to those of us who are, thankfully, not within the gravitational field of the blackhole that is LUN DON."

I take it you're not a UK taxpayer. Because for those of us who are our money is definitely within the gravitational field.

1. Synonymous Howard

Sorry wrong, been a UK tax payer for over 25 years and before I went part time a lot it was at 40%.

And I'd be more than happy for that tax to be spent in the rest of the UK outside of Das Kapital.

6. Kevin Johnston

Degrees of ability

My sister qualified as a Surveyor some time ago and at her award ceremony it was very clear that all the Surveyors got a BSc while all the 'Town and Country Planners' got a BA.....

So as long as 'it looks amazing darling' it is irrelevant how well it does (or doesn't) work.

7. Unep Eurobats
    Go

Looks better for bikes

As a cyclist I'm familiar with this junction: Look Mum No Hands is on the western arm of Old Street. I tend to find it less scary than I think I'm going to (the junction, not LMNH - that's a terrifying hipster haunt), though admittedly I've never had to negotiate it at rush hour.

Segregation is the way to go in order to increase the number of cyclists and from that point of view the new layout is a clear improvement. I was going to take issue with Simon's assumption that most cyclists would cut the corner between eastbound Old Street and northbound City Road, but having looked at the plan it does seem a tempting detour.

I hope this is something that has been addressed with raised kerbs and/or barriers. People leaving the station will be too focused on getting to Shoreditch Grind for their espresso to look out for flying fixies.

8. Christoph

"With the peninsular on the North side people going to Moorfields Eye Hospital will still be able to walk there without crossing the road."

Damn right. Whatever else they do to that junction, they must keep the route to Moorfields clear, so people can just follow the line on the pavement straight to their A&E.

9. The last doughnut

Earlier this year I had to travel that route by car. It was not by choice - I simply had to take that route into central London. I could not use the tube or a bus or a bicycle or a taxi. I am not a London resident but I do have an Oyster (we snoop your movements) card. It givse me great joy to learn that it may become more pleasant for the locals, and I can say that with only a minor amount of sarcasm. But please spare a thought for those who travel in a private car.

10. frank ly

re. How Old Street will look

It looks unbelievably clean. (I haven't been there since about 1980 - did it improve?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: re. How Old Street will look

Since the CCharge was introduced it's only the wealthy, school run mum SUV's and people who'se companies supply their Porsche / Ferrari / Aston and pay the charge that commute by car into London

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: re. How Old Street will look

In all respects, the congestion charge has been an unmitigated success in freeing the roads up from the tedious hoi-polloi, who ought to consider themselves privileged to be crammed onto dirty, sweaty, over-crowded public transport.

Curious that Red Ken came up with such an elitist idea. Has he been invited to the Bilderbear conference where the 0.1%'ers discuss how to sh** on the rest of the world's population?

11. arrbee

One traffic calming measure I've seen in a few places in the UK is to remove all kerbs and other physical obstacles between traffic and pedestrians; not sure if they've tried it anywhere in London yet.

1. LHGFLICOD

Tried with varying degrees of success...

Exhibition road by the science museum technically shared space although the occasional taxi seems to be playing carmageddon as its a bit too much of a straight through road to really work.

And this crossroads https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.524463,-0.084104,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9urVPP1riysE-32fand4bw!2e0 which works pretty well, except at lunch time when three street food stalls are there and the queues form diagonally across the intersection. The confused look on drivers faces is priceless and the chicken/lamb kebabs are good, the other two food vendors seem a little heavy on the salad/wierd grain based hipster food so haven't tried them yet.

2. James R Grinter

shared space

Planners keep suggesting and trying to implement it all over, but it's widely agreed by many road users (motorists, pedestrians, cyclists) that it is not a good idea.

it certainly doesn't slow traffic down, anyway

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like